Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW CLASS / SERIES; Historic Sports Sedans. formation meeting.20/04/13 ACC

hey, thanks for the kind words there snoozin thats a real cool photo you took of the old girl. I am sure the guys that run at this meeting are gonna want some of your fine snaps, and be sure to come see me in the pits. cheers, George.

Ok just to keep you up to date, just heard from the man who owns the Trevor Crowe Zap starlet in Tauranga and he says he would be keen to run at some of the race meets for HSS.Name:  zap.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  13.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by George Sheweiry View Post
    Ok just to keep you up to date, just heard from the man who owns the Trevor Crowe Zap starlet in Tauranga and he says he would be keen to run at some of the race meets for HSS.Name:  zap.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  13.6 KB
    Love that car! As an 11 yr old at Pukekohe the Crowe Zap Starlet, and the Huxford Capri were two of my favourite cars.... Yeehaw

Semi-Pro Racer
    think this was earlier in its life - no wing !

Semi-Pro Racer

Ok, anyone else besides the 23 drivers who have given their word to be at the first meeting of the HSS, who would like to race at the inaugural meeting we have been asked by the Auckland car club to put in our entries at Motorsport Entries online ,for this meeting asap as they are going to spend some dollars and do some more advertising for the meeting because of the effort that has been put in by our new class but just want a confirmation of entries before they push the boat out. So I have asked the 23 drivers to put their entries in by wed next week to allow the ACC enough time to organize this. I will keep an eye on the entries and post them here on wed night. With only 5 weeks to go we are getting down to the nitty gritty!!! ps; there is 1 entry so far already. any guesses???

George, have you been in touch with Keith Tunnicliffe in Feilding? He owns the old Ian Munt Chevy V8 Capri.

Hey thanks for the info Steve, I got straight on the ph and he had heard rumblings about the class and after a quick overview from me about it he said yes he would love to be part of it and run his car however it is in bits at the moment at Roscoes in Palmerston. So it should be all good if Roscoe has anything to do with it as he is a very capable and pleasant guy who has put together some great stuff over the years and what a great car to have in this new series!!

Name:  munty.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  8.6 KB

Hey thanks for the info Steve, I got straight on the ph and he had heard rumblings about the class and after a quick overview from me about it he said yes he would love to be part of it and run his car however it is in bits at the moment at Roscoes in Palmerston. So it should be all good if Roscoe has anything to do with it as he is a very capable and pleasant guy who has put together some great stuff over the years and what a great car to have in this new series!!

Name:  munty.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  8.6 KB
    Tell me what bolts would you replace when rebuilding a race motor.

Well in a modern build of a race motor the only bolts I replace are the rod bolts in the H beam rods after 3 seasons use, I cant say I have had problems with anything else, but then maybe the things I build don't have enough horsepower!! After all as I have said before I am just an electrician that likes to build his own stuff and I just learnt from mistakes. Ps; still learning lol

That is hard question, 1 how old is engine, 2 how much work has it done, 3 is it only being freshened or tidy up/rebuild from blow. If it has had damage replace all bolts, if only freshen then as George says. Really what you want replaced as it is your engine and $s

Ok, anyone else besides the 23 drivers who have given their word to be at the first meeting of the HSS, who would like to race at the inaugural meeting we have been asked by the Auckland car club to put in our entries at Motorsport Entries online ,for this meeting asap as they are going to spend some dollars and do some more advertising for the meeting because of the effort that has been put in by our new class but just want a confirmation of entries before they push the boat out. So I have asked the 23 drivers to put their entries in by wed next week to allow the ACC enough time to organize this. I will keep an eye on the entries and post them here on wed night. With only 5 weeks to go we are getting down to the nitty gritty!!! ps; there is 1 entry so far already. any guesses???

Ok it is wed 6th 2.15pm I have just received the entry list of drivers from Motorsport entrys for Historic Sports Sedans, and the entries are, Dennis Running/ RX8, Adrian Dobbe/ Warwick Grey Viva, Clive Sheweiry/DJR Mustang, George Sheweiry/ Richards Sheweiry Boss 302 Mustang, Graeme Addis/ Chev cosworth Charger. So These guys having paid their entries are obviously the ones who actually did think about it when asked to make a commitment to run their cars. Unfortunately to run a standalone class the ACC required a minimum of 10 cars. We will still go to the meeting and it is possible we could pick up 1 or 2 more but it may be just a 1 meeting wonder as we do need 10. Anyway I would like to take the opportunity to apologize to everyone for getting your hopes up but in my defense I must say that I just told you what I had been told and promised by other people. But then it was me who took it on to organize this on behalf of those other people. I thought I had put a large effort into it but obviously it wasn't good enough and for that I am sorry, so I don't really deserve it but please if you were planning on coming for a look on the 8th of September please still do as those guys that have made the effort should get recognition for their efforts. For my part I will still do what I can to get the number up to 10 as that is what I promised the car club and I will now buy another car and put my Cousin Peter Benbrook in it and of course there is still the 79 mustang I bought for Alan to run that if he perhaps has decided not to run I should be able to find someone to drive it, and my son and daughters cars can also run with us for the day. But obviously a class that I have to supply all the cars for is not the best way to go, but I did give my word and that is why I must make the 10. Never the mind I guess you have to try these things. Once again my apologies for letting you down. Sincerely, George Sheweiry.

Don't apologise George, its hardly your fault. What you've achieved in such a short time should be commended. But you WILL have cars there at that first event, and that is probably the most important thing. For those considering getting involved, once they can see you up and running, it'll give them added motivation. And even if you guys just run high speed demonstration laps so everyone gets some track time, it'll be worth the entry fee alone just to see your Mustang and Addis' Charger out and running again.

George, no apology will be accepted. You have more than "put your wotzits on the line". The time frame is/was very short, and with the best will in the world, I suspect, that many of us wondered if the others would ante up. It's very sad you have been let down to this extent. However, just remember that the first E30 BMW race apparently had a total of 8 cars, now they have close on 3 grids full.
    I have the utmost admiration for what you WILL achieve.

George, I've been watching the goings on here like many others, you have done an amazing job but what you've really done is "light the fire" under other Sports Sedan owners that share the same ideals. You will get there but as we both know its takes effort and time and the economy ain't exactly on you side either. Still, HMC started with only 6 legal cars at its first meeting and we refuse to let in "grid fillers", we've been adding 2 or 3 a year and now have momentum that can't be stopped. Tell the ACC to pull there head in, if its only 8 and they are all historically correct Sport Sedans well so be it!! You've done a fantastic job and I for one applaud you

I'll give you a call one night

Dale M

I will pay to see the cars mentioned no apologies required.

Quote Originally Posted by Racefan View Post
    I will pay to see the cars mentioned no apologies required.
    ^ 2nd that. Id be happy to see 4 historic Sports Sedans circulating. Congratulations on motivating the owners of some of the most exciting cars ever to race in NZ to run their cars again. Looking forward to September

Come on you guys who fronted at Georges formative meeting and made a commitment to run - put your entries in. Make the commitment. If you have a deadline, its always motivation!!!!

Hey thanks for the support guys it means a lot! As Promised here is a photo of the XE Falcon I bought last night to make sure that I have the 10 cars that I promised the car club. My cousin Peter Benbrook who has kindly agreed to run it on the day for me has now put in an entry for the 8th, the only problem is I now have to find the time to build an enclosed trailer ($9k materials and 1 1/2 weeks work) to put it in as I dont have anywhere to keep it and also to get it to the track let alone not let "the war department" see it!! Name:  xe.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  67.6 KB

Hey thanks for the support guys it means a lot! As Promised here is a photo of the XE Falcon I bought last night to make sure that I have the 10 cars that I promised the car club. My cousin Peter Benbrook who has kindly agreed to run it on the day for me has now put in an entry for the 8th, the only problem is I now have to find the time to build an enclosed trailer ($9k materials and 1 1/2 weeks work) to put it in as I dont have anywhere to keep it and also to get it to the track let alone not let "the war department" see it!! Name:  xe.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  67.6 KB
    What a Bastard this has turned into George,you know George maybe its just me getting older that i feel nz today is all full of piss and wind,and a mans word today is not worth a grain of salt.I can only talk for myself but like most out here all the very best to you, and others who have put there time and money into the best class that nz has put together.ps i will do my best to get up there.

Hey thanks for the support Custaxie, it DOES make a difference. But then I do have a major fault of being too enthusiastic as when someone tells me they will do something I just naturally believe them because I know if I say something I will follow it through, I am a handshake guy, and you are probably right that in that way of thinking it is probably a relic from the past. Then of course luckily we are all different as it would be boring if we all were the same and did the same, however in saying that, it doesn't make the disappointment any easier and of course dumb me blabbing away saying oh yes we've got this car and that car and the ones that really know sitting there laughing at me going no you haven't you dick! But f--k it I will be there and I will have some fun. So if you do get there, come say hello as it would be great to meet you. cheers, George. Ps would be neat if the Custaxie2 turned up!!