Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW CLASS / SERIES; Historic Sports Sedans. formation meeting.20/04/13 ACC

Hi guys, Well it is Monday and we have had our first meeting of the series. I have to say I am very humbled by all the guys who promised they would be there who turned up and made an absolutely wonderful days racing for one of the largest and most convivial crowds I have ever seen at a club meeting in over 40 years of competing at them. The atmosphere at the track was absolutely awesome with more people than I can remember coming up and congratulating and wishing us well it was just all very humbling and such a neat thing to be part of. My condolences to Glenn Gordon and Graeme Addis who both put on the mammoth effort to get there but missed and thanks to Craig Stacey who brought out the Fahey Fastback Anglia to be on display, I don't know what happened to Gordon Burrs car that was going to be on display but then I didn't get to go everywhere. There was plenty of other good V8 action in the form of Production Muscle Cars, Northern Muscle Cars and Modified Saloons and the weather which the day before had looked so ominous turned out to be fine all day. A big thank you to my cousin Peter Benbrook who ran the yellow XE falcon for me and to Mike Dias who ran the "JPS" Mustang along with all the work he did to prep it, paint it and all the promotional work he undertook and badgered the ACC into that made for such a fantastic event. To all the people who helped or supported and spread the word thank you very much, "because it worked". As for myself, for the first time in 28 years I got to do practice in the old girl and although on a new track boy did that take me back! but on return to the pits we found the left rear wheel and wheel well awash with oil and even after a clean could not find where it was coming from, possibly the full floater hub. With having my son and daughters race cars as well and everything else that was going on I was just too busy to be able to look at it. A request to just do a few quiet laps at lunchtime fell on deaf ears so it was left on display for the rest of the day. So now in 5 weeks time for the 6th of October we have round 2 of the Historic Sports Sedan Series and if we get all the people who said I wont be there for the first meeting but will be there for the next then the field will be double the 14 cars which will give us around 25 to 28 cars. so come on guys, I gave you my word that I would get you a stand alone series, and that has now been done, remember its use it or loose it and we shouldn't loose the momentum with the spectators that has been started!!

I've got to agree with you on the crowd size George, certainly more people then I expected! Easiest way to judge it - long queue for the hot food at lunchtime!!!
    I will be attending the next ACC meeting, but whether to flag, or to "spectate" I have yet to decide.
    How do you spectate, anyway - I've never done that, always been helping!

IMG_4624 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

IMG_5043 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

IMG_5099 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

IMG_5076 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr
    Last edited by Snoozin; 09-09-2013 at 05:53 AM.

Was looking forward to watching this - I haven't been to a track in about 12 years. Gutted that I was on a plane to the UK when it was all happening! I hope you don't think this is too gimmicky but I think that from a spectator/marketing point of view it would be great to put a year on each car, i.e. the year its 'state of tune' represents. This could be in one colour while championship years would be in another colour. This would help show the development of the cars, as well as highlight why there are performance differences.

It would be great to put together a display board for each championship car, telling their history and where they are now or what happened to them. These would go well with the rest of the cars in a chronological static display at each event. It might also help flush out cars or generate interest in bringing the old cars out, even just to be on show....

Anyway, well done. Looking forward to watching the next event.

Perfect, just perfect. Well done George, as Fitzy would say "full credit"

Cool

This is the car Rod was referring to in post #349 above. Check out the front suspension setup. Rod (in the background) informed me that the car was built in the 1980's - so some smart thinking. That would have been exciting to watch in action but it was not to be.

A really great start to the series George and hopefully you can take a breather now and get that Mustang going again.
    Last edited by kiwi285; 09-09-2013 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    This is the car Rod was referring to in post #349 above. Check out the front suspension setup. Rod (in the background) informed me that the car was built in the 1980's - so some smart thinking. That would have been exciting to watch in action but it was not to be.

A really great start to the series George and hopefully you can take a breather now and get that Mustang going again.
    I notice a photo of car on track, so boys must have got her going in the end. I had to leave a little early. wizard Ralph Mossman in man under bonnet trying to diagnose the problem.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Well done George...and the other owners that made it to the track with their cars.

Some interesting cars thats for sure.
    Like that front end....pretty good for the 80's
    Out of interest what powers the Merc?

IMPORTANT MEETING at the Auckland car club rooms this coming Saturday the 14th of September 10am to finalise a set of rules for the new Historic Sports Sedans series. So if you want to have a say you need to be there. I would suggest you read the comments about which way the class should go that have been offered on this thread and talk with other interested parties BEFORE THE DAY!! For instance. Should the cut off date for cars be 1986 to make sure all the earlier lotus twin cams arent made uncompetetive by the Cosworth Sierra motor. Should we allow only replicas of NZ cars no longer around or include overseas types, and a host of other problems. If you cant make it then send me an email with your preferences and ideas because we want to include everyone and try to get it right. sheweiry@slingshot.co.nz Remember its your class so have a say!!

What powers the Merc ? yes that is a question that has been bandied around. I will lay money on it that its not a set of period 292 heads

Which way have the Aussies gone with their Historic Sports Sedans class?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    I notice a photo of car on track, so boys must have got her going in the end. I had to leave a little early. wizard Ralph Mossman in man under bonnet trying to diagnose the problem.
    now might be a good time mention a few people.

as you know rod the thing was running in the morning but failed to fire a shot come practice time. so after a far bit of pissing around managed to have a run in the last two races which was great , as you know it has not turned a wheel for 12 years.

alot of people jumped in and helped, which we really appreciated.

So thanks a lot to
    Steve james.
    Rod Grimwood
    Ralph mossman
    graeme park
    syd davis
    brendon davis.

and the folks whose names i dont know, who freely offered a hand.
    Last edited by rogered; 09-09-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Looking at photo Roger, she still goes ok. Great you got to have a squirt. still one of my favourite cars from years gone by. Remember when you first turned up and she was fairly standard with a v8 put in, then she grew some guards and the motor sounded a bit different, then the suspension got some attention and bigger wheels, then some major body work, more trick suspension especially back then, and on she grew into a real handy Sports Sedan. Its a credit to the Davis clan.

Rodger- Bruce and I were talking to you sunday morning. Great looking car, excellent techs-still current and looked and sounded like it couldnt wait to run again. A massive congratulations for getting it going in a short time frame , fronting and running to the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by rogered View Post
    Am i right in thinking this thing was built from hannu Mikkola merc rally car that ran in NZ.

PM sent rod
    Just found article on Merc build and will download and post as much info as can. Appears car was not ex rally car and car is actually mainly space frame with moulded body (plural) as developed.
    Bit to scan and get ready

Great photos Richy

Hi John
    Thanks for that , glad you both took the time to stop by and have a chat