Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Photos: The Bruce Wells Collection - Warwick Farm - Part 3

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper997 View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up Paul.

But did the LHD 'Mildren No 1' go West at the time of the RHD car becoming available or some time later?

Stephen
    I've checked Alleggerita and Mildren No.1 came to Australia in November 65 and was sold to Gordon Stephenson in October 1966. Overtime the GTA was turned into a sports sedan (probably how it lost its firewall) and then suffered a major accident. Not sure if the wreck survives.

The RHD GTA, chassis no. 762561 (I think!) arrived in Australia in August 1966 to replace the LHD GTA. Not sure of the rationale, though the LHD GTA's major races were at Sandown (6 Hour) and Bathurst (66 ATCC) which were both anti-clockwise, whereas the RHD GTA's major races were at Warwick Farm and Lakeside (67 ATCC) which were clockwise circuits.

great read this post.
    Where would one find out about the dealer team cars Foley ran?

Quote Originally Posted by prn31 View Post
    I've checked Alleggerita and Mildren No.1 came to Australia in November 65 and was sold to Gordon Stephenson in October 1966. Overtime the GTA was turned into a sports sedan (probably how it lost its firewall) and then suffered a major accident. Not sure if the wreck survives.

The RHD GTA, chassis no. 762561 (I think!) arrived in Australia in August 1966 to replace the LHD GTA. Not sure of the rationale, though the LHD GTA's major races were at Sandown (6 Hour) and Bathurst (66 ATCC) which were both anti-clockwise, whereas the RHD GTA's major races were at Warwick Farm and Lakeside (67 ATCC) which were clockwise circuits.
    Thanks Paul. Certainly no great gap in the LHD GTA going West then. I wonder whether it went there just like some of the Neptune cars going West or to Tassie for events then getting sold there. Essentially meaning the Neptune/Tridents/ Shell drivers didn't have to race against their old cars.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bailey View Post
    great read this post.
    Where would one find out about the dealer team cars Foley ran?
    The Foley dealer team cars are pretty easy.

Tim Schenken wrote off the original John French GTV at Bathurst 75 when it broke a wheel at McPhillamy Park.

Gordon Rich wrote off the LHD Autodelta GTV at Forest Elbow in practice for the 77 Bathurst race.

The Bell/Leggatt Bathurst 77 class winning car (the orignal Christine Cole/Gibson Chesterfield car from 73) almost met its end in a Targa Tasmania crash by its current owner who lives in Melbourne. It is currently being restored to its 77 Bathurst livery up here in NSW.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper997 View Post
    Thanks Paul. Certainly no great gap in the LHD GTA going West then. I wonder whether it went there just like some of the Neptune cars going West or to Tassie for events then getting sold there. Essentially meaning the Neptune/Tridents/ Shell drivers didn't have to race against their old cars.

Stephen
    Not sure about the theory. Remember the second Mildren car went to John French who could certainly steer. Though by that time Mildrens were busy with Alfa V8 engined single seaters and GTV production cars and had moved away from exotica like GTAs and the TZs (1 and 2).

They seem to like their exotic Alfa Romeos in the West. There are a few Italian/Australians out there as well as a couple of serious collectors.

Paul
    Last edited by prn31; 08-13-2013 at 12:19 AM.

The remaining Foley car,I bought that of Jeff H in about 1982 and sold to Tim B who in turn sold it to his brother Chris.
    had some nice features like,
    the tacho on the lhs dash pad.
    Close ratio gearbox I bought in West Aust.
    had only ever raced from day one,no heater or sound deading.
    large brakes on the front
    Auto delta panhard rod
    Even when I had it ..every panel had been hit but there was no rust.
    fast little car,Hugh and Vin did an engine for me,coming back from an Alfa national rally in South A.,I blew off a Montreal in a straight line near Robb and saw on the flat just on 130mph,which i think was the speed Bell had it doing on Conrod in '77.
    I ran it with a set of gold Simmons 15x8 all round as the wheels with it were worn out .

Originally posted by Steve Holmes

Attachment 17906
    I'm pretty sure I worked out earlier that this was Bruce Taylor...

Malcolm Bailey's car was blue (very pale blue, however) but a check of the Catalina/Wells thread will enable a check of the number plate, and that should settle it.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    I'm pretty sure I worked out earlier that this was Bruce Taylor...

Malcolm Bailey's car was blue (very pale blue, however) but a check of the Catalina/Wells thread will enable a check of the number plate, and that should settle it.
    Ray, that is Malcolm Bailey 5/12/65. The car was blue with a white roof. I think Bruce Taylor's car was yellow.
    Dale.

I didn't check, but I did on the Catalina thread...

That's why I referred to it. Taylor's car was cream IIRC.

I'm still looking for pictures of Bailey's fantastic transporter!