Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Bruce Wells Collection - Warwick Farm - Part 3

Thats not Kevin Bartlett in the Lotus is it? Looks like it could be #21 on the hood, though hard to say.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  78.6 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  86.0 KB

On the assumption these are still Dec 65 shots...

The Super Seven is listed as follows in Event #4 'Clubman & Special Category Racing Car Race' - #21 Total (West Ryde) S/Stn/J Tuxford Lotus Super 7 Ford 1475 Blue. I'll leave it to someone else to identity the rollbar from the following car though! Unless you have another angle Steve.

The other photo shows what is possibly Event 7 'Sports Car Race - Division 2' #5 Ian Hindmarsh Motors entry for either Ian or K Walters Hunter 179, ahead of #53 Trevor Meehan in the Mini Din.

Awesome! This is really great stuff, thanks for posting.

Here are the next ones:

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  79.4 KB

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  90.4 KB

The leading car is TVR Grantura that Kevin Bartlett sometimes drove for the TVR distributor Peter Owen it was also driven byGraham Wood using his own crossflow B series engine from his own MGB it was later sold back to the UK where it is raced in Historic events

Thanks Greg, yes absolutely spot on.

Steve, can these be posted on a Renault website to identify the R8 Gordini drivers?

Here are the Edgerton Renault and the Valiant again. Note the position of Edgertons head, stuck well outside the window of the Gordini.

How are the Cooper S drivers?

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  82.2 KB

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  68.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Steve, can these be posted on a Renault website to identify the R8 Gordini drivers?
    Yep, for sure Rhys. Stephen (Cooper997) has been able to ID most of them but any extra help would be great.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ghost View Post
    The leading car is TVR Grantura that Kevin Bartlett sometimes drove for the TVR distributor Peter Owen it was also driven byGraham Wood using his own crossflow B series engine from his own MGB it was later sold back to the UK where it is raced in Historic events
    Greg,
    If you are refering to the second photo in post #42, Cooper997 has correctly identified the lead car as a Hunter Holden. I will grant you it does look a little like a TVR, but, it isn't.

Dale.

Steve, the latest shot in post 49 with the R8 Gordini & 2 Minis must be the first event of that Dec 65 Warwick Farm meeting.
    Event 1 'Touring Car Race (Series Production) - 5 laps.
    #44 is the Sentinel Motors/ P Donnelly Renault R8 Gordini (the Edgerton car wasn't a Gordini)
    #36 is down as the Barrie Broomhall Motors entry for B Rout (Qld) Morris Cooper S in blue.
    The best I can work out for the other Mini is that it's #40 N Kearsley Morris Cooper S. Given the shade in this b&w photo, I'd say it's a Toga White body with either Royal Red or Burgundy Red roof. Both Cooper S being less than 2 months old when this photo was taken.

The post 45 shots, should be from the same Event 1, with the aforementioned #36 Rout Cooper S with #16 Renno Motors/D Frazer R8 Gordini & #7 Bill Orr Lotus Cortina.
    The next shot with 2 Morris Coopers (they aren't S types) & the standard R8 should be also from Event 1,
    #26 D J Toshock (in a rare in Australia) 998cc Morris Cooper in Grey.
    Taking a major guess based on the shade of the Morris Cooper in the background, I'd say it is #29 R Phillips 997cc example. Being either Cherry or Tartan Red with likely white roof.
    The Renault R8 should be the #43 Edgerton example in grey again.

Stephen
    Last edited by Cooper997; 04-25-2013 at 05:58 AM.

I agree with Cooper re the second in post #45 the R8 is not a Gordini, headlight size is the clue, the G having bigger lights, and of course later having the 4 light front.

Thanks guys, great info! Its amazing to be able to assemble all the pieces to make the full story.

Here are the final two photos for this chapter, finishing off as we started, with Norm Beechey in his Mustang.

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  96.7 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Malcolm Bailey in the Zephyr followed by, I think, Bob Holden.

Dale.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper997 View Post
    I'm only aware of one GTA. But the likes of Paul Newby on TNF, or a friend of mine, Barry Edmunds love their Alfas. I'll see if Barry can share some wisdom. I've already made him aware of the photos.

Stephen
    My first post here.

There were two Mildren GTAs, both white.

The first was the LHD car raced by Bussinello, which was later written off in Western Australia. According to Alleggerita the chassis number is not known as the firewall did not survive, and thus it is known as Mildren No.1.

The second Mildren GTA was RHD, as raced by Bartlett, then sold to John French and on to Brian Foley who raced it with a later front and a special 1.9 "bitsa" Autodelta engine in Chesterfield colours as a sports sedan. Foley had a big accident in the car at Oran Park in 73, which effectively ended his and the car's career. This car was restored in Western Australia in Chesterfield colours and then returned to the east (NSW) where a collector spent a lot of money restoring it back to original Mildren spec.

Not to be confused with the Foley 1750 GTAM, an original Autodelta car that Foley bought into the country in 1971, and raced with the Tasman V8 2.5 engine into 1972. That car also made its way west (like all collectable Alfas seem to do) and is now back in Victoria being restored to original condition complete with its original slide-injected Autodelta 2.0 engine.

The Foley GTA/GTAM cars are often mistaken for each other. I hope that this clears things up.

Paul

Thanks for clearing that up Paul.

But did the LHD 'Mildren No 1' go West at the time of the RHD car becoming available or some time later?

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by prn31 View Post
    My first post here.

There were two Mildren GTAs, both white.

The first was the LHD car raced by Bussinello, which was later written off in Western Australia. According to Alleggerita the chassis number is not known as the firewall did not survive, and thus it is known as Mildren No.1.

The second Mildren GTA was RHD, as raced by Bartlett, then sold to John French and on to Brian Foley who raced it with a later front and a special 1.9 "bitsa" Autodelta engine in Chesterfield colours as a sports sedan. Foley had a big accident in the car at Oran Park in 73, which effectively ended his and the car's career. This car was restored in Western Australia in Chesterfield colours and then returned to the east (NSW) where a collector spent a lot of money restoring it back to original Mildren spec.

Not to be confused with the Foley 1750 GTAM, an original Autodelta car that Foley bought into the country in 1971, and raced with the Tasman V8 2.5 engine into 1972. That car also made its way west (like all collectable Alfas seem to do) and is now back in Victoria being restored to original condition complete with its original slide-injected Autodelta 2.0 engine.

The Foley GTA/GTAM cars are often mistaken for each other. I hope that this clears things up.

Paul
    Wow, great first post! Thanks for this info, just fantastic. I always assumed the Foley Alfa with the V8 was his Improved Tourer turned into a Sports Sedan. Thanks for clarifying this.