Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Bruce Wells Collection - Warwick Farm - Part 3

I'm only aware of one GTA. But the likes of Paul Newby on TNF, or a friend of mine, Barry Edmunds love their Alfas. I'll see if Barry can share some wisdom. I've already made him aware of the photos.

Stephen

I was just making an assumption this was a Mildren car, as its being driven by Frank Gardner. But maybe its not?

Name:  66042.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  35.9 KB

Steve, that will be the Mildren car. It must have been converted sometime in late 1966. KB is shown running it in LHD form at the July 17, 1966 Warwick Farm meeting report in 9/66 Racing Car News.
    I can't see any listing of the GTA in the September 18, 1966 WF meeting. But KB was entered in something even more exotic that meeting - Mildren's TZ2.
    In the December 4, 1966 Warwick Farm programme the car is entered with both Gardner and KB down as possible driver. That should be the meeting that photo was taken, as the 1/67 RCN report mentions Gardner as the driver.

Stephen

Is this the car that was at the Phillip Island Classic last month Stephen? I wonder why they converted it to rhd?

Name:  DSC_0776.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  81.2 KB

I'm hoping Barry will be along soon to fill in the blanks... But I suspect it could be.

If I'm on the right path Foley ended up with the car after Mildren's team had finished with it. May have been the car that ended up in Western Australia and ran a rotary late in its racing life. Then came back to Victoria in earlyish 1990s.

Wow, OK, I had no idea the Mildren Alfa became the Foley Alfa from 1971. Was certainly much developed by this stage. Was this the same car which was fitted with a V8 and run as a Sports Sedan by Foley in 1972? These are pics I grabbed off Autopics:

Name:  72262.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  72010.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  40.9 KB

Really need to have the Alfa gurus to chime in here...

Maybe it was that one I was thinking about. But that's a lightweight GTAM I think. The Alfa V8 came from a Mildren Brabham. If memory serves correct Paul Hamilton had the Brabham chassis reunited with the Alfa V8 for Spencer Martin to drive at the first Eastern Creek Tasman Revival in December 2006.

The earlier photo is a Stepfront, 1964 to 1967 GTA and the later a 1750/2000, 1967 to 1974 wide body Gtam. Didn't Foley bring his Alfa out here in GTA form and then V8 form. Autodelta modified many of the early cars to wide body as well. The Gtams were made by Autodelta, where as the GTA were made by Alfa.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper997 View Post
    Really need to have the Alfa gurus to chime in here...

Maybe it was that one I was thinking about. But that's a lightweight GTAM I think. The Alfa V8 came from a Mildren Brabham. If memory serves correct Paul Hamilton had the Brabham chassis reunited with the Alfa V8 for Spencer Martin to drive at the first Eastern Creek Tasman Revival in December 2006.

If my memory serves me correctly, Foley's car was a GTAM brought out here to run as a touring car. So, I think a different car to the Mildren one. Then later it was fitted with the V8 to run as a sports sedan.
    The Brabham Alfa you mention is owned by Paul Moxham not Paul Hamilton.

Dale.

This is fantastic info guys, many thanks.

Thanks for the clarifications and name correction, Spgeti & Dale.

OK, some oddballs and a few unknowns in this lot. Can anyone help here to ID these drivers? VW Beetle is sitting remarkably flat through the corner chasing the Renault.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  74.9 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    The Valiant driver would be Alton Boddenberg and the HD Holden could be Herb Taylor.
    Dale.

If these are meant to be the Dec 65 WF meeting then the #43 Renault R8 should be R Edgerton & the #65 VW is R Groves. The race being event 5 'Touring Car Race (Improved Production - Division 2).

As Dale mentions, from the same race the #50 HD Holden X2 is entered by Herb Taylor. But the driver could be Herb or J Hall. I'm struggling to get a decent grab on the other numbers. There's only one Val listed in the entry list and it is as Dale mentions, the Alton Boddenberg #59 example. The Renault R8 Gordini could be the #63 Sentinel Motors entry for P Donnelly.

This is really great, thanks you guys.

The Wolseley 6/80 is #58 Barnard Auto Spares/Barry Sharp entry.

The Cooper S is #37 Killara Motor Garage/Bob Holden entry. The EH I think is #53, so that should be the Esso Servicecentre, Waterloo/R Wilkinson entry.

Brilliant! Many thanks, this is so great to have the blanks filled in.

Re Barry Sharp, is this the same Barry Sharp that raced a series of wild early V8 Sports Sedans in the late '60s and early '70s? Including V8 MkII Zephyr, Holden FE, Jaguar etc?

Here are a couple more shots of the furious Holden Cooper S and Wilkinson EH battle, as above:

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  77.1 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes, the same Barry Sharp. That's Malcolm Bailey in the Zephyr behind the two Bobs.

Dale.