Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: Hollywood Sport Cars McLaren MkI

What is the induction set-up in the pic that has Doug Hooper #91 driving ? It looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    What is the induction set-up in the pic that has Doug Hooper #91 driving ? It looks interesting.

Attachment 17860

I've asked Harvey Lasiter, who owned the car at this time, what induction set up this was. Harvey could only note that it was something that Doug Hooper made up.

My gut says it may be similar to one of these dual air metered injection setups
    . Given Harvey Lasiter's history with a Cheetah, it seems even more likely.

-Chad

That is pretty unique looking, I'd love to know more about that.
    Thanks for the added info.
    Bruce.

Another shot of the Lasiter and Hooper team, as described on the picture, out testing the car.

Name:  32_McLaren_20-09_in_Testing_with_Doug_Hooper_and_Harvey_Lasiter_Credit_Harvey_Lasiter.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  126.5 KB

This is a really great shot, taken in the pits during the 1968 Riverside Can-Am race. Thanks to Chad's keen investigative work, we know thats Doane Spencer leaning over the radiator, helping the team out with 'his' old car.

Name:  McLaren Riverside Pits 1968.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  143.9 KB

By 1969, McLaren M1's were getting thin on the ground in Can-Am, such was the pace of development, although most rounds still contained anywhere from 2 - 4 cars. Here is Lasiter dropping down through the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca Can-Am in 1969.

Name:  Laguna Seca Can Am 1969.jpg
Views: 1410
Size:  125.4 KB

By the way, both the above photos were supplied by Harvey Lasiter.

This is part of the entry list for the 1969 Riverside Can-Am. This was Round 10 of 11 in that years championship. Chad, I notice Doug Hooper is also entered to drive another McLaren in this race?

Name:  1969 Riverside Can Am Entry.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  165.3 KB

Harvey Lasiter owned the McLaren until 1970 when he sold it, less engine, to John McDonald, and it appears it wasn't raced again in the Can-Am after this. McDonald ran it in some regional races, and is believed to have used it at a driving school. It was then sold to Mark Dees, then to William Robbins, and it was Robbins who had it converted to become fully road legal in 1973, as pictured. Take a good look at these photos, and you can see the work required to get it road legal. Certainly not the work of a moment! But what a thrill ride this would have been. You'll see also the wheels have been reverted back to the standard McLaren wheels, as first supplied to HSC.

Name:  McLaren Road Car 1.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  109.5 KB

Name:  McLaren Road Car 2.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  McLaren Road Car 3.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  123.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Chad, I notice Doug Hooper is also entered to drive another McLaren in this race?

Name:  1969 Riverside Can Am Entry.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  165.3 KB
    Steve, I believe Doug Hooper was driving a Lola T70 in this race.

Weekend Warrior

Doane Spencers '32 Hiboy

Taken at the 2007 at Monterey Historics.
    Doane's car is one very cool 32 that featured so many details, some pure Hot Rod custom stuff and
    others very much race car.
    There was also a modern version of the car parked behind it which was powered by a small block Ford.
    I think the Spencer car was going up for sale at Auction at the time and was in the pits to stir
    a bit of interest.Name:  DSC00636.JPG
Views: 1754
Size:  139.5 KB

Hey great photo Mark. Yep thats right, Doane was building a modern interpretation of his famous '32 roadster. I could be wrong about this, but I thought he'd died before he completed it, and it was eventually completed at So-Cal Speed Shop?

Weekend Warrior
    I didn't know that he had anything to do with the modern version,
    a real shame he never got to see it completed.
    I think Pete & Jakes Rod shop may of restored the original car.

The final part of the build/completion of the modern version, known as "Spencer 2" (in some circles) came in at $ 1.3 million US

Quote Originally Posted by MarkQ View Post
    I didn't know that he had anything to do with the modern version,
    a real shame he never got to see it completed.
    I think Pete & Jakes Rod shop may of restored the original car.
    Yep, the 'Pete' of Pete & Jakes is Pete Chapouris, who revived the So-Cal Speed Shop name, with the blessing of founder Alex Xydias, back in the 1990s. I think the well known hot rodder Jimmy Shine was one of those who played a big role in the completion of the Doane '32. Chapouris' shop also restored Doane's original '32 back in the '90s for its appearance at Pebble Beach.

Just reading results of CanAms and I see that John Cannon won round 4 in a very wet Californian race in his ancient M1B at Monterey Peninsula 1968.
    His little 6 litre beat the later M8As, M6As and M6Bs.
    Won $20,000 in a car worth $6000

Thats right John, this was one of the fairy tale stories of the Can-Am. Cannon was racing an old M1B which was obviously well outclassed in dry conditions, but at Laguna Seca it rained. He spoke with the Firestone technician about the best set of tyres for the conditions, and was pointed to a set of F1 intermediates brought across from the UK for a Formula 5000 driver who'd requested them for one of the supporting races, but never actually needed them because the F5000 race was run in the dry. The intermediates were perfect for the conditions, mated to the fact Cannons car was so much less powerful than the big block big-bangers, and it was the ideal combination.

George Follmer was heading for an almost guaranteed second spot in an equally ancient Lola T70 but was caught out by a big puddle towards the end and crashed.

The fact these were both tube-frame cars, that probably flexed a lot more than the newer cars must have helped their grip levels in the wet too.

I hope you folks can read this, Eoin Young's Autocar road test on the McLaren. Makes for a good little story:

Name:  Eoin Young Road Test.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  166.8 KB

Journeyman Racer
    Steve: A small correction, The Lola T-70 wasn't a tubed framed car. It was a monoque. The main reason Cannon did very well was the Firestone rain type tires. Also having a 500 hp engine , instead of a 700 hp one, it made it easier to drive in the wet. Taking nothing away from John Cannon's driving, he did beat everyone that day.

George Eaton also finished a very deserving 3rd that day, also on Firestone rain tires and in a McLaren with a small block Ford.