Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: wheres all the pre65 pics??. from the heydays, lets have em fellas

George......... I don't think you need to justerfy your passion for collecting your cars etc , I have witnessed over the years similar stories , I try not to get involved with small talk I grin & walk way ....eg if some one was or is dealing in the drugs I would not mix with them ... I hear stories but move on ....... if you were a druggy you would be down & out .. BUT you are up &in [clean] its the tall poppy syndrome all over people cant wait to knock an achiever they will put you down given the opportunity.. that's what make some people stronger ........ probably human nature to a degree...... my Dad sais rejoice for those who have achieved their dreams , Ernie taught me a lot about life in general although a rough diamond but a diamond ............... re the other comment I did consider HMC two cars that were an opportunity ......one was from Auckland the other my mate swooped up last week it went down to Dunedin [Roy ex ppre 65 champ] it was on trade me for a short time this car [mustang] would have been the right platform and went cheap allowing for up dates, I am not going to worry any more if I miss out but would still like to do something ......I will see what transpires down south next weekend ....... [I have never been a gunna] but one must make the correct moves .................really good to throw things around inspiring talks we have ..

George, we heard that talk years ago, and you have done a lot more than any of those talkers. I think most of us know the 'real' guy's/car fanatics and the fly by nighters, which there have been a lot of and give them the swerve, and also that is why a lot of us have always chatted/baited with you over the years, because you are you and as you reckon a 'a broken arse electrician' but one with a lot of very nice toy's. Good on you.
    Don't let cheap talk interfere in what you are doing, as it is mostly jealousy.

Yea well said Rod........i think george really knows this so the rest does not matter ...we move on lets talk car racing .......ps Rod did you send an e mail re skope meeting , I saw it flash up on screen & it disappeared.......

Yes, see you there, this time we will catch up. I'm with the Willis crew.

Yep your right of course, talk cars. As Big bad Dale says the cars are the stars. So what would you prefer nowadays Grant, the pressure of a full on series like pre65 or a more laid back deal like HMC. I reckon If you do have a go at something you should get something that no one else is running, something different!!

Thanks guys........ firstly . Rod I get down to Chch Sat morn..... staying with my old mate Kevin Bann [Mr Kelford Cams ] a long over due catch up , Kev did my engines & has a lot of knowledge & likes a beer a good bugger fly back Monday morn .so yes Rod this time we get to gether for a catch up...... George thank you for ideas re cars .to get something different means a lot of playing about & testing to get it right ..... I know what worked in the past ..the high reving little screeming 289,s they are doing the business in the south but feel Bill has the car now to blow them away....the blocks now the mustangs have lends to a bigger bore size etc & are getting close to 500hp we were 420hp back then but had a very tractable set up would pull from2000 rpm that got us out of slow corners quickly ....You know George we didn't know much about what set up to have until we tested & bingo found the formula quickly also used 3.8 diff others 3.5 gave us an other leg up on certain tracks I also remember Dean having problems with his brakes I helped him for the final race to get it on the grid we were going head to head & I blew my diff on the start line a DNF I did not need , but pre 65 was like that although serious as well , we shared the info to any one , had you been running at that time [both with mustangs ] we would have shown ...... just like the rear torque arm Roly made ...we told every one but the formula had to be 100% you needed to play about with the dimension to get both wheels to skid off the line properly....giving a big advantage as soon as we got it right we were [cheats lol] because powers to be could not understand the physics & the funny thing the car happened to be on TV showing it powering out of the hairpin at Taupo leaving two distinct black marks I thought ....oh I am going to cope it again ....but all proved good when it went on the rollers yet again [no LSD].... when that car went to SI & was finally pulled to bits [Engine] a few SI pre 65 ers went to see what crank & rods were in it , I had to laugh yet again they were very sheepish after that and the suspicions put finally to rest ...I guess all apart of the fun......interesting though. ......If I don't get correct deal it will not happen .....
    Last edited by Grant Sprague; 02-02-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Well what about something like this a 1965 Mercury Cyclone, it was for sale for $27K on bring a trailer and a California car so no big freight bills to the container. there isn't one of those running in Pre65 and they run 289s and have identical suspension to a mustang and so does a 64 Fairlane

Name:  1965_Mercury_Comet_Cyclone_Vintage_Race_Car_For_Sale_Front_resize.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  121.8 KB

Here is the said Fairlane

Name:  Fairlane2.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  44.4 KB

Hey grant, I knew you were in the same race that weekend, I found all the results sheets that they posted out after the meeting, here is the one for Pre65

Name:  BP final.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  141.9 KB

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by George Sheweiry View Post
    Hey grant, I knew you were in the same race that weekend, I found all the results sheets that they posted out after the meeting, here is the one for Pre65

Name:  BP final.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  141.9 KB
    Seeing those time sheets brings a few memories back.

I remember running with Derek Mitchell when he first bought out his EH Holden- green and yellow, was it? Passed me on the hill, just before finish line in the handicap.
    Alby Collier still had his Anglia,
    John Alley- yellow 65 Mustang- what ever happened to that car?
    Kevin Townsend- one very quick Mini.
    Rob Brown in his 65 Mustang Fastback- won the class that year, so when I ran must have been 1-2 years earlier.
    I have a pic from that meeting, but it is only infield .
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 02-03-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Woooow George thanks ..... I mentioned to a few we got into the 67,s in the wee Anglia , only just though.......when we first started it was 10,s ......so 2,5 seconds slower than the then v8,s .. I see Alby must have struggled as this I think was his first or second attempt with the falcon 65,s pretty good for a big car George that was well done given those years John always struggled with his mustang at bay park .......but the comet was a grunter there is a pik some where of me following you through railway quite close to yr bum & wooooosh away you went although yr car struggled a bit on the stoppers & over the hill it was fun while it lasted had those issues been sorted it would been gonzo ........... That comet $27k running a 289 does not seem to be a good combination re power to weight ... what did yr comet weigh ?????
    what size engine & HP......
    $27k us = $34k NZ plus freight & gst , maf & custom..=$8k plus good big block , up date this & that say an other $40k being = consevative = $85 k it gets up there fast eh ? keep throwing ideas George its good.......as you know buying the car is the cheapest part , its what happens after that when we start adding improvements like a dry sump , better brakes , g/box , light weight rollcage etc ..... you would know what Tony charges the boys to do a 289 ????????........... we did our own a bit like you....... moral of the story if you want to have a quick car your going to have to put the hand in the pocket.......... & have a sponsor that is a petrol head ... do we know any ?????????????????????????????????????????????? lol perhaps I come up one weekend and have a meeting lol

The feeling I get is that there is a hype going on at the moment re motor racing , people are getting plenty of good vibs, due to lifting economy , fuel prices & a beaut summer..........a good positive attitude makes thing happen .. I understand as my mate Paul said Timaru had bumper fields last weekend , plus we had another two big race meeting going on , amazing eh ..........yea I know about a super tourers but lets not go there.....I watched that also ...

That Cyclone is already set up as a vintage racer with a full house 347, jerico and penske shocks, My comet is 1235Kg and again it is just basic, I made fiberglass bolt on hood fenders,trunk lid grille light buckets and only in case they got hit. I didnt make them light and the car still runs steel bumpers and when first built put out 537 hp at the rear wheels on Bob Homewoods bolt on rear wheel dyno. I managed to get a bit more out of her since then. I thought it wasn't bad for a 1957 designed engine. As I said it had impressive acceleration when you could get it hooked up!!! wait a minute I think I have that dyno sheet handy. yep found it, there ya go.

Name:  comet dyno.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  121.0 KB

I am starting to breath petrol fumes.......hey this could be the car George..in saying that I had better hit the hey...........getting late need to get up early & catch a punter lol......thanks mate talk soon all very interesting

Grant see you at Ruapuna, and can just see you in that Cyclone, it's a bit of you.

Georges ??....yep Roddy see you in a couple mate

Hi enzer, the datsun was indeed a pre65, check out trademe.co.nz, its for sale at present for 6k

kQUOTE=nzeder;39788]The Datsun is not a Pre 65 with the B110 coming about in 1970 - even the first sunny the B10 was 1966-69. Now a bluebird 410/411 would be Pre65 as these models were 1963-67. I believe the 410/411 was the first Nissan/Datsun to be assembled here in NZ

Love watching the youtube in car from the Rush IMP aka 77.[/QUOTE]
    hi there nzder, the datsun was indeed a pre65, check out trademe.co.nz, its for sale 4 6k
    Last edited by paul lancaster; 02-04-2015 at 07:04 AM.