Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: wheres all the pre65 pics??. from the heydays, lets have em fellas

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post

That is a sad photo, and I was amazed when I saw it, but it was years later.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26997[/ATTACName:  Pic_0714_004.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  9.7 KB

Tried to find some photos of the old Muzzie but I never really took a lot of photos, usually just too busy and at the time you dont really think its that important. I did find this shot of the car I started with when I had just got it home, do you really think my son had any show of staying out of race cars???

Name:  P65 project.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  45.9 KB

George pre 65

Quote Originally Posted by George Sheweiry View Post
    Tried to find some photos of the old Muzzie but I never really took a lot of photos, usually just too busy and at the time you dont really think its that important. I did find this shot of the car I started with when I had just got it home, do you really think my son had any show of staying out of race cars???

Name:  P65 project.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  45.9 KB
    George if you want a photo or two of yr pre 65 car , go to the pre 65 motor racing home page etc ..............Grunta [ps not sure how you wud connect it to roaring site though but can be done]

thanks Grunta, I have found a few, brings back some memories! They were a good bunch and I enjoyed the series its just a pity I had other classes I was running in and didnt give the mustangs replacement the Comet as much time to sort it and i really should run it again but with so many cars I have stretched myself too thin. A bit silly when you come to think of it. Anyway heres a few more I found of the stang when it came back from Brett Walkers Paint shop.

Name:  P65 project a.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  48.3 KBName:  P65 project b.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  49.2 KB

It was a very basic build, I didn't lighten it or do anything tricky and it just had eurothane bushes Konis an inch bar and heavier front springs. Because LSDs weren't allowed I just used the lighter BW tin hat diff with a 4 spider center. I put in a close ratio toploader, heavy, but unbreakable. Empty the car weighed 1177kgs.

Good piks George , I LOVE the way the front unbolts [panels] Roly made mine clip on so when we removed the engine or worked or exhaust etc we could actually walk into engine bay ....made life easy just unbolt front gaurds a few bolts top & bottom from panels & hey presto.....as you might remember the car when i got it was basic & heavy we got it down to 1000kg thats two passengers less than yrs in weight ..yea they were a good bunch but all new faces now & a few rule changes re brakes , coil overs g/boxes, stronger cranks & blocks that part was very much needed and a few new v8,s etc , I am off the Chch next weekend to check them out at the scope meeting I think they have between 30 & 40 cars which makes it very inviting , we had same suspension bushes as you same top loader as you also , but spent time on suspension , shocks etc etc as for the diff 8in but had the Roly bar on rear as most have now got so as to get more traction when weight is transferred to rear axle , i loved it when you had the commet although you were in the early development stages , it looked fantastic & had potential , they now have two thunderbirds 390 ci running would be good to see you back that might entice one or two others of the old boys back , I know Bills nova laps same as the HMC quickest cars so they are no slugs .............Grant

Yes your right Grant, they are always improving the cars but there is lots more left in the Comet as it too just has Konis eurothane bushes and a bigger front bar and springs. I don't really know a lot about suspension so I am afraid its pretty primitive, tried the Roly bar and a torque arm but still couldn't get power to the ground. It would actually go quite good if I could get the power to the ground. When I managed to see off Dales Boss I threw a Detroit locker in it for that event. I don't know why they don't allow LSDs after all they were available and I am sure any serious racer would have had them back then.
    Anyway, I found this photo one of my helpers took I think probably of the first meeting it did which was the first time I had it on the track!

Name:  pre 65 puk.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  42.1 KB

Yep George looked great in those colours who built the engine ? a haze of blue smoke was it the r/h tyre or oil ...I recall that car & my Anglia on front row at Taupo one yr ..... & you smoked me away .. lol............ how time moves on ,,,,,,, go on get the comet out you have too many toys ....... a friend said to me recently don't forget to skid some tyres the run way is getting shorter ..

Always loved that car. Where is it now George?

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Yep George looked great in those colours who built the engine ? a haze of blue smoke was it the r/h tyre or oil ...I recall that car & my Anglia on front row at Taupo one yr ..... & you smoked me away .. lol............ how time moves on ,,,,,,, go on get the comet out you have too many toys ....... a friend said to me recently don't forget to skid some tyres the run way is getting shorter ..
    I am afraid I have always built my own engines Grant, had to teach myself, still learning. From memory I chased that leak for a few races, turned out to be where the head and intake meet the block at the rear. I like your mates quote, must remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Always loved that car. Where is it now George?
    Yeah it was a good old car Steve. My good friend Mike Oldham liked it too, so much that he bought it. Mike was my Electrical apprentice and was always on hand to help me with my latest project. He also crewed for me at all the meetings and new it was a good car. I bought the car from Craig Staceys brother Alan for $5,500.00. By the time I had sold the motor, auto and all the parts I didn't need it owed me about $20.00. Diffs R US sponsored me the 2 diffs, Perfection plus the paint job, West Auckland Engine rebuilders the machine work and Grant Walker gave me some engine bits. I already had a toploader a base engine, daisy wheels and countless other bibs and bobs but even with them I think it then owed me about $9,400.00 but again that was only because I had done, with the help of some friends, the majority of the work myself.

Here are some photos from Taupo, the third photo is from later on in the season. I remember it axle tramped so bad under braking for the hairpin that it would nearly put me out. I had used an XE booster and master cylinder. I think we solved that by putting in an adjustable brake bias in the rear line. Photographs taken by Stew Wood

Name:  pre 65 T1.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  35.7 KBName:  pre 65 T2.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  36.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by George Sheweiry; 01-31-2015 at 09:05 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    Australia/Melbourne/ex pat Kiwi/Halswell/Christchurch
    Hi George great pictures of your mustang

When are we all going to get lucky, to see your ex Jim Richards Sidchrome mustang race next.
    as you did such fantastic restoration of it.
    It would be so cool to see the Blue PDL mustang and your Sidchrome mustang race together again.

Austalia would love to your muzzy or Steves the 2 NZ cars racing together again especially at the best circuit in the world Philip Island,

Philip Island Classic festival is on the 5th to the 8th of March, has Alan Moffats mustang and will be a feature .Check it out even to spectate is well worth going to.

As you may have guessed.

Im an Ex Pat Kiwi who loves the good old big Bangers that raced at Wigram in the 70s I have now lived in Melbourne for 2 years & follow the Muscle Car Masters which is such a fast & furious Class to watch keep up the great work you have done for the sport.
    Last edited by camaroman slp; 02-01-2015 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks for that, yes it was good to get the old girl all pretty again. Unfortunately there isn't a proper Historic class to run it in yet and I sort of doubt whether there ever will be. It is a shame that it cant be seen and it should be really so perhaps the next best thing is to put it on display. There is a reasonably new Museum/Cafe in Hamilton that could be an option, the one at Cromwell is a bit far away, but I haven't really given it much thought yet. Unfortunately I don't have the disposable income to be able to take it over to Australia to race on your wonderful Phillip Island, wow wouldn't that have been a sight on the grid beside Moffs Gorgeous stang. I guess if I had have been one of those with the golden tongue I could have persuaded Sidchrome Australia to sponsor me over there and get the right name on the side of the car! but alas I am just a dumb one man band Electrician. Never the mind just by chance I have one or two other cars I can race, but yes you are right it would have been good. When you go post some photos for us plebs that cant get there!! Cheers, George.

George jnr a year or so later busting to help the "old man" so here he is unbolting the sump to do a quick bearing check. We had this photo made up into 8x5 cards with a printed invitation for his 21st birthday 3 years ago. Went down a treat!

Name:  pre 65 geo.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  107.4 KB

Here he is a few months ago with his new Tranzam Camaro at a practice day at Puke.

Name:  P1030017 geo.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  156.8 KB

Now then Grunta, didnt you say you had 2 daughters, this is my daughter Brittany a few years back when she was 16, she won the 6cyl class for Production Muscle Cars in the scimitar we built for George when he was 12. So come on Grant don't let the team down time for the next generation of Spragues to make their mark. Make old Ernie proud!!

Name:  P1010106brit.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  116.0 KB

George...... that is so cool... I have mentioned car racing often to my 3 girls but they are not that keen but they do like fast sports cars all the same , I have been a good dad & spend lots of time with them & my wife doing the family thing like picnics etc most weekends we even went swimming in the warm sea yesterday [in the rain ] .. I got back in time for TV3 car racing ....... Re Ernie he would not really get excited even if the girls did get involved , mind you he t did go to a few pre 65 meets & enjoyed that but could not get involved that much as he lived in the SI but loved the connection with the team & out come .........as time moves on & my girls growing up I have hinted about having some ME time like going to Skope meet in Chch to catch up with a few friends etc....... yr kids have grown up fast , I started late my oldest is 15 then 12 &10 I did take India [15] cart racing she has natural talent for sure ..... Now George as a friend a wee bit of a hint of manifestation advice I would like it if you did not call your self dumb & a broken arse , if we think these thing enough we become a part of that energy........... firstly you have a beautiful family good health.....some thing money cant buy....plus yr cars .......so yr not dumb or broke ....yr enjoying the journey......keep smiling ....... Grunta

Hey thanks for the kind words Grunta, you are right it is all about family and it would be good if even one of your girls took advantage of your skills and knowledge of motoracing as it is a hard path to learn but good to see you are enjoying them as you are right they do grow up fast and before you know it they are off to make their mark on the world. In the early years Because I started collecting cars and racing right from the age of 16 there were lots of rumors like oh he must be selling drugs and the likes, funny thing is I have never even smoked and cant get my head around anyone who would contemplate drugs and nobody ever saw me at the pub because I was too busy working and then doing homers after work, all because I had this all inspiring passion for cars and racing so I guess with my other comments its just to say that I was never a millionaire. Anyway I would like to see you out pedaling some thing again as we had good fun then and I know we can never bring that same time back again, but we can have some bloody good fun trying aye?? George.