In the '70s the Dunedin Festival of Speed was a simple quarter mile drag on one of the streets in the industrial part of town.

The Formula Pacfic cars I drove were owned by former Dunedinite John Anderson. We always took full advantage of various workshop facilities etc being offered in Dunedin by his mates during the South Island leg of the series and one year as a "thank you" to some particularly helpful help we ran the car in the Festival particularly as all these facility owners were also the Festival organisers.

No doubt someone here will know, but I can't recall if it was the March or the Lyncar nor the year. I do recall lining up in the final with local OSCA driver Kevin Haig who was in a thumping great, ground shaking 7 litre Camaro which rather dwarfed the Pacific car alongside it.

I also can't recall the final result or any other details other than that the road was incredibly bumpy and just after the finish I ran over a man hole cover which tore the rear suspension bracket off the bottom of the Hewland gearbox which of course required more local help to repair.