Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Circuit Cars racing on the Quarter Mile

In the '70s the Dunedin Festival of Speed was a simple quarter mile drag on one of the streets in the industrial part of town.

The Formula Pacfic cars I drove were owned by former Dunedinite John Anderson. We always took full advantage of various workshop facilities etc being offered in Dunedin by his mates during the South Island leg of the series and one year as a "thank you" to some particularly helpful help we ran the car in the Festival particularly as all these facility owners were also the Festival organisers.

No doubt someone here will know, but I can't recall if it was the March or the Lyncar nor the year. I do recall lining up in the final with local OSCA driver Kevin Haig who was in a thumping great, ground shaking 7 litre Camaro which rather dwarfed the Pacific car alongside it.

I also can't recall the final result or any other details other than that the road was incredibly bumpy and just after the finish I ran over a man hole cover which tore the rear suspension bracket off the bottom of the Hewland gearbox which of course required more local help to repair.

May have the answer to OSCA as i am certain i have heard of Thorpe years back think he raced a Monaro. Or is this Lynn Neilsons example
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rod, This is Lyn Neilson's Zephyr Corvette. He ran this car for one season. Mechanical problems meant he hardly ever finished a race. Vogue Motors was owned by Barry Vuyk.

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    Rod, This is Lyn Neilson's Zephyr Corvette. He ran this car for one season. Mechanical problems meant he hardly ever finished a race. Vogue Motors was owned by Barry Vuyk.
    Thanks Woody, Did Thorpe race in OSCA at some stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Thanks Woody, Did Thorpe race in OSCA at some stage.
    I think he ran a OSCA Monaro in Sydenham Park signage around the same time as his altered which he he had over here for a standing and flying at Orwell Creek Rd , Ahaura and if I recall was named " Wynns Wynder " , however this would have been forty years ago .

Ruapuna dragstrip again NZ Hot Rod Magazine Sept 73,no other info but this photo,could of been taken by Norman LeeName:  Sylvester Collins drag race.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  122.9 KB

I was talking to Robin Tanner who had the Firebird after Coppins and he took that down the strip in the low 12's also.
    It was running in E/gas. I may be able to scan the time slip.

Bruce.

Bruce- was it a special event or were there other race cars also?
    Also what is E/gas
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 05-14-2013 at 08:08 PM.

I'm not sure of the exact rules, but you must know what a "gasser" is. It is probably the most advantageous class for Robin to enter at the time. It probably would have fit into Super Stock, or Pro Stock, but they were hot classes then too.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Bruce- was it a special event or were there other race cars also?
    Also what is E/gas

NZ Hot Rod Magazine Feb 74.Red Dawson takes his Camaro to Meremere drags runs low 12s makes it to the final and wins.Name:  Red Dawson Gary Taylor Meremere drags.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  106.7 KBName:  Red Dawson Camaro Meremere drags rear.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  94.6 KB

NZ Hot Rod Magazine April 74.Reg Cook in the Mini at Meremere also has a good day making his way through the feild,not sure the final result of this.Name:  Reg cook Mini.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  96.5 KB

Ruapuna drags NZ Hot Rod Magazine May 74,no other info photos taken by Norman LeeName:  Dymand.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  124.0 KBName:  Dymand and Moon.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  103.4 KBName:  Firebird.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  103.0 KB

Any one got pix of Graham Williams giving the Team Cambridge Camaro death at the drags Teretaunga 1970?
    Graham was Rod Coppins mechanic, set fastest time. day before race meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by 225sloper View Post
    Ruapuna drags NZ Hot Rod Magazine May 74,no other info photos taken by Norman LeeName:  Dymand.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  124.0 KBName:  Dymand and Moon.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  103.4 KBName:  Firebird.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  103.0 KB
    What can you guys tell me about the Cortina in the background of the middle shot??...

Only info i could get was guys name was Richard Moon and Cortina had a Ford 289 power

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Wood View Post
    In the '70s the Dunedin Festival of Speed was a simple quarter mile drag on one of the streets in the industrial part of town.

The Formula Pacfic cars I drove were owned by former Dunedinite John Anderson. We always took full advantage of various workshop facilities etc being offered in Dunedin by his mates during the South Island leg of the series and one year as a "thank you" to some particularly helpful help we ran the car in the Festival particularly as all these facility owners were also the Festival organisers.

No doubt someone here will know, but I can't recall if it was the March or the Lyncar nor the year. I do recall lining up in the final with local OSCA driver Kevin Haig who was in a thumping great, ground shaking 7 litre Camaro which rather dwarfed the Pacific car alongside it.

I also can't recall the final result or any other details other than that the road was incredibly bumpy and just after the finish I ran over a man hole cover which tore the rear suspension bracket off the bottom of the Hewland gearbox which of course required more local help to repair.
    It was indeed the Lyncar on its second visit to NZ. We were running an engine borrowed from Reg Cook after blowing our only remaining engine. The jetting was way rich but we did manage to take fastest time of the day and yes the manhole cover about stuffed the tub and damaged the rear skid plate as I recall.

Wow thats amazing a manhole cover all sorts of obstacles on the street.I went to a street drags in Wanganui over 20 years ago and a dog ran out in front of a motorbike near the finish line it was only share luck that the rider missed it.

Meremere dragstrip Jack Nazer in the Victor as shown in NZ Hot Rod Magazine June 75 photo by Allan Porter.Name:  Jack Nazer.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  113.2 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 225sloper View Post
    Only info i could get was guys name was Richard Moon and Cortina had a Ford 289 power
    Sign on Cortina's door reads "Winter Garden Motors". Can't make out bottom line but doesn't look like Christchurch. ? Ring a bell anwhere around NZ??

Stu