Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
Good time to repeat my view here that it needs more dedication and committment from us, the fans.
If we want to see these cars, we cannot just roll up and complain if they arent there.
Its our heritage and if we want them there, lets help these guys that absolutely need it.
A group of friends/enthusiast adopt a car and help the owner, dont hope for a sponsor for a class.
Most costs are in the getting the car there, entry fees ,tyres,and race gas.
Works out at about a $1000 a meeting, split costs in this group.
Owner will appreciate this and of course many long hours in getting the car ready.
I want 2 months between HSS meetings to enable people to get around the costs and time.
Get a team that makes it work- Reg Cook used this method in the 70s.
Forget the egos,and the cost, remember- Deus ex Machina..........(the car is the god)
Also make sure that Historics are actually racing Historics so these car race against each other instead of being pushed too hard , breaking things, trying to catch more modern technology such as YB and NASCA engines.
And give an up to 13 month ban on drivers that hit other cars to make sure these HSS stay true,straight, and unnecessary expenses are not diverted to unplanned panel repairs even worse if these cars are damaged, they may seen as too valuable to have it happen again or difficult to repair for example the Addis Charger, Algie Monaro, Running RX8, man, the list goes on.These are not 2K cars
My point is- to get enthusiasts involved , then give their car some protection.
I agree wholeheartedly - these cars are getting precious and the owners aren't getting any younger - offer to help an adopted car/driver combination to help defray the costs and put time into getting the car ready for the track.