Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Racing Capri's - photo thread

Found this photo in an old copy of the 'V8 International' magazine

Here is a photo that I took of the Huxford Capri at Pukekohe back in the early 70's

I like the car better in this guise.

at least it looks like a capri, not like the previous photo

It's a Capri but not as we know it.

Name:  Capri Mk 1.JPG
Views: 1277
Size:  44.6 KB

Crickey Milan - I have never seen that car before...or if I did, I have forgotten.

When? Who? and what was in it

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post

The Original Consul 315 came in Saloon and fastback versions with a 1340cc motor, enlarged from the Anglia Donk..love it the saloon had that same back angled rear window, Ford did that to a Mercury in the US with a wind down central piece, air con on the cheap..

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post

This car was built and raced by the gentleman in the photo and raced under 'Destitute Racing'. (just see it on screen). He originally raced in Taupo and was quick. It had Holden engine etc., sold car to Jennifer Mossman who was very quick in it as well and then Built the Viva ran for awhile then shifted south, believe he ran car at Ruapuna etc. A very clever engineer. He had his hair done in green the same as the viva, hard case. Caught up with him a couple of years back at Ruapuna and OSCA 40th night.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Rod, your knowledge on these cars is immense! What was the Viva powered by? Does it still exist?

Had Chev 350 Steve, not sure on existence, will find out.
    Hard case, had hair to match colour of cars and a safety pin in his ear. (this way before piercing)

He has a collection of steam engines and stationary gear that he has resurrected at his place over the Coast.
    Good mate of Herbie who keeps an eye on the Mk2 Cortina in OSCA.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    This car was built and raced by the gentleman in the photo and raced under 'Destitute Racing'. (just see it on screen). He originally raced in Taupo and was quick. It had Holden engine etc., sold car to Jennifer Mossman who was very quick in it as well and then Built the Viva ran for awhile then shifted south, believe he ran car at Ruapuna etc. A very clever engineer. He had his hair done in green the same as the viva, hard case. Caught up with him a couple of years back at Ruapuna and OSCA 40th night.
    'JT' John Thornby I believe he used to work with Jamie Aislabie doing exhaust headers back in the day, quite a character all right, He and his mate Keith "Doon" Weir were Destitute Racing, both had 315 consuls

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post

then jennifer sold it to Phil (ACDC) rudd, Then graham clark in Tauranga. It was on trade me only 6 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rogered View Post
    then jennifer sold it to Phil (ACDC) rudd, Then graham clark in Tauranga. It was on trade me only 6 months ago.
    Well if the Phil got it probably gone - " up in smoke " or some other chemical.. lucky it went on to someone else ..

315 Capri was a fastback two door and 315 Consul had an Anglia type back window in two and four door. E&OA

John Thorby had a Rover V8 in the Viva, John Harcourt did a bit of work on it after JT moved to the SI. Post JT it ended up with the Heslin brothers who put in the Chev V8
    Last edited by bigbanger; 01-04-2016 at 01:30 PM.

Weekend Warrior
    Found this......

https://youtu.be/kIARp05uzvY

Les that's him,

Bigbanger, You right, I was not sure when the chev went in.
    Photo with "Bionic Dog' Rover, This on test day at Taupo.

good that people remember these things.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 01-03-2016 at 11:43 PM.

ian munts capri

Quote Originally Posted by Munty View Post
    sorry Michael, Eddies old car went to Jason Ryan right?
    Cheers Evan
    Hi evan, all these capris on here, and no pics of your dads no 43, this car used to give me the shits when I was a kid, it used to move my innards when he drove through the pits, where is the car now , also I did some work on frank and jason ryans farm recently, jason still has the camaro, and frank still has his commodore, both parked up under covers in the shed.hope to see some pics of your dads capri, I remember when he had a big loose down the front straight at levels and ploughed into the marshalls big scraper tyre, doing considerable damage.

Weekend Warrior
    You mean this one :-)

Name:  Munty_snr.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  44.2 KB

Weekend Warrior
    or this version ?
    Name:  munty_jnr.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  134.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gokiwi View Post
    You mean this one :-)

Name:  Munty_snr.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  44.2 KB
    You will notice the tow wagon of OSCA drivers choice in the backround. They all used old International ambulances. Sturdy, with lots of room in the back.