Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Racing Capri's - photo thread

Semi-Pro Racer
    That's where a bit of the confusion starts, the car with SAFA on it in earlier posts is the ex Brent Bullivant capri from the NI which Graham Baker used in the early 80's.

No Jac, Robbie Farrar never owned the Bullivant car. I remember that he converted the Capri he owned to LHD, because the laugh at the time was that the steering rack was just turned over, so that when the steering wheel went left, the road wheels turned right. As one Capri is now LHD, and the other RHD, I would assume that it is the ex Slade car that he converted.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner32 View Post
    No Jac, Robbie Farrar never owned the Bullivant car. I remember that he converted the Capri he owned to LHD, because the laugh at the time was that the steering rack was just turned over, so that when the steering wheel went left, the road wheels turned right. As one Capri is now LHD, and the other RHD, I would assume that it is the ex Slade car that he converted.
    Yes your right Peter, but the point I was making is that this car with SAFA signwriting is driven by Baker & is the ex Bullivant Capri. Now next question?, is this the same car as the one with Brendan Addis livery in other post #64 pics? Wheel arch's appear to be same with extensions & same shape in sill area.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 02-19-2014 at 11:00 PM.

Yes Jac, That was in early life

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Yes Jac, That was in early life

More info from Tony;

Chris blackwood purchased it from Mike Fitzgerald, ( Cardinal colours )
    Chris painted it blue, sold it to Jim Bolt, Tony purchased it from Jim.

Camaroman's information is correct, all the same car

When this car was blue, 2 years ago, there was another OSCA Capri almost
    the same colour, this Capri was the Avon Hyde ,Clyde Collins car.

2012 Ruapuna, this other 'blue' Capri (ex Hyde-Collins). Was little confusing 2 similar and same colour.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    2012 Ruapuna, this other 'blue' Capri (ex Hyde-Collins). Was little confusing 2 similar and same colour.
    Which is the Ryan, Kirk, Fisher, Elvy, Hyde/Collins, Cameron, Pulley, Mann car if I have got it right and probably more.
    These Capris are definitely confusing and there were not that many cars, just multiples of owners, got over 5 a3 pages last night of OSCA cars & drivers & it will take a lot of help by the time I round up most of the 4 cyl stuff, Get started on it over weekend , still at least I will be able to edit the list.

Cardinal colours from last weekend at Teretonga. Dale M

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    Which is the Ryan, Kirk, Fisher, Elvy, Hyde/Collins, Cameron, Pulley, Mann car if I have got it right and probably more.
    These Capris are definitely confusing and there were not that many cars, just multiples of owners, got over 5 a3 pages last night of OSCA cars & drivers & it will take a lot of help by the time I round up most of the 4 cyl stuff, Get started on it over weekend , still at least I will be able to edit the list.

Tony's car is the original Kennedy car. I have some more photos from couple years back when both were at Ruapuna in blue.
    The car in photo above no.43 is Ryan car (I think, this is confusing)

Think that you will find the Rod Hayman now has the ex Frank Ryan Car

These from couple years back at Ruapuna. Note Tony Mann (ex Kennedy) in front and behind No.11 ex Ryan No. 43 parked in pits.
    Also different nose and flares and Ex Ryan had silver added.

World Champion
    So correct me if I am wrong, but the ex Jim Kennedy Capri is the oldest V8 Capri in NZ? my information was that it was built up for the 1973 OSCA season with a Falcon engine.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    So correct me if I am wrong, but the ex Jim Kennedy Capri is the oldest V8 Capri in NZ? my information was that it was built up for the 1973 OSCA season with a Falcon engine.
    Falcon engine as in 351 Cleveland, yes I think that's correct as Nick Slade has a few posts that suggest the car was less engine when his Dad Bob Slade first worked on it. Attached pic is one of several from Nick, also one of the Ryan car with early Cologne flares at its first meeting/Teretonga.
    BTW before someone asks, Anglia is Arthur Jelly/3 litre V6 Ford powered.
    Just wonder if we might be better to start a thread for each one of the Capri's rather than just the one?
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 02-21-2014 at 04:55 AM.

Depends on how you define 'oldest'. The ex Bruce Carey (in Aust), then Ian Munt Capri is older, but I think from memory it was 1974/5 before Ian brought it to NZ?

World Champion
    Yes, I understand, that is why I defined it as NZ, someone may know when Jim Kennedy started building his Capri, it may even predate Bruce Carey/Ian Munts car in terms of start of build.

Had a phone call today that informed me that Tony Mann has brought the ex Ryan car too.
    If I remember correctly Jim Kennedys car was built in Timaru by Peter Wilson when he had the workshop in Barnard Street and it was finished off in Greymouth by Bob Homewood so that would place it about 72 or very early 73. Again trusting memory, Frank Ryan was still running the Twin Cam in 73 and his Capri arrived on the scene the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Yes, I understand, that is why I defined it as NZ, someone may know when Jim Kennedy started building his Capri, it may even predate Bruce Carey/Ian Munts car in terms of start of build.
    I recall the Carey Capri V8 starting out as a "Sports Racing Closed' car in 1970/71.

Ok, heres an email that Tony sent and as Carlo mentions, Tony has ex Ryan car as well now.

This might make a good boys shed visit some day.

Email;
    Rod

Car # 43 is Clyde Collins /Avon Hyde / Frank Ryan / Fisher / Elvy / and
    others, blue with silver centre bonnet # 43. Fisher pictured in photo
    #84 forum " OSCA database"

Car # 11 is Jim Kennedy / Slade/ Shrimpton / Vigurs / Fitzgerald / and
    others, now cardinal colours

Purchased Kennedy car 8 years ago, purchased Collins car 6 months ago.

In shed Sidchrome imp, Roy Harrington imp, Alex Dickie Victor

Tony Mann

I think some of the confusion over Tony Mann's #43 Capri relates to its current presentation. Because those beautiful old RS2600 style flares that it wore for so many years had become so tired, it was fitted with quite different flares in more recent years, hence it looks quite different to how it raced in period. Was it Don Elvy had did this? I vaguely recall emailing him about it years ago when he owned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I think some of the confusion over Tony Mann's #43 Capri relates to its current presentation. Because those beautiful old RS2600 style flares that it wore for so many years had become so tired, it was fitted with quite different flares in more recent years, hence it looks quite different to how it raced in period. Was it Don Elvy had did this? I vaguely recall emailing him about it years ago when he owned it.
    a previous owner Allan Pulley from Southland crashed the Car a few years back and to help out I lent him our moulds to get him going again, this probably doesn't help the confusion when identifying the various gaurds on all the capris but will explain the difference, cheers