Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Racing Capri's - photo thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    It was bought from a guy in Nelson about four years ago by Allan Pulley from Winton ( About the same time as I was building Pierre Neames Capri ), It had obviosly been lightened & modified considerably from how I remembered it from Frank Ryans & later Paul Kirks ownerships, dont know if Alan still has the car, he had a fairly serious off at Teretonga's hairpin in it at one of the SFOS meetings..
    If this is the Capri Allan Pulley had then Don Elvy bought it back after Allan fixed it with the moulds from our Capri. Don recently sold it to a fella in Ashburton who will have it back on the track at the OSCA 40th Anniversary meeting in Nov.

Heres a couple of photos with a few years between them but same beast. Have more just need to resize.
    Think original driver was Bullivant (not sure if same car)
    then Baker (in Yellow), Melville, Friend, Borrie and Barnes (red) who has raced it for a long time. What else did it do ?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Sorry meant to mention Stew Wood the photographer, does real good work in North Island , must try and contact as he has a wealth of knowledge.

Semi-Pro Racer

Neame Capri

Pierres car as it is currently, was white/blue/red originally, will be vastly improved with those wheels hopefully, the first set of SH Simmons were damn near square...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Heres a couple of photos with a few years between them but same beast. Have more just need to resize.
    then Baker (in Yellow), Melville, Friend, Borrie and Barnes (red) who has raced it for a long time. What else did it do ?
    Yep, thats right Rod, Brent Bullivant built that car when he was just 19! Bob Cullinane owned it for a couple of years, I think he purchased it off Baker. Baker fitted the McLaren M10 F5000 wheels when he had it (had BBS prior to that), and I always wondered if these wheels had come off the PDL Mustang I, as this car had similar wheels for many years, and when Steve Ross was restoring PDL I, he advertised that he needed a set of F5000 wheels for the restoration. I think it was Borrie who sold the M10 wheels to an overseas collector who was restoring an F5000.

On top of its many years as a race car, it appeared briefly in the movie Shaker Run:

Pierres car as it is currently, was white/blue/red originally, will be vastly improved with those wheels hopefully, the first set of SH Simmons were damn near square...
    Wow Jac, thats a nice looking car! Whats its history? Its left hand drive, has it always been that way or did you build it that way because all the South Island tracks are anti-clockwise?

Semi-Pro Racer
    It was a former SS2000? car from the Nth Island, previous owners name escapes my perforated memory at moment!. Yes I made it LHD for that reason, really only used the shell as virtually everything previous was tailored around the 13" rims etc. It had a set of the best looking flares Ive ever seen on a Capri when it arrived & I pleaded with Neame to at least take a set of molds off them for future use, but then he arrived in with the 15" wide Simmons & all that went out the window, I must be getting old, between him & Jack Ondrack Ive about had it with race cars...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow Jac, thats a nice looking car! Whats its history? Its left hand drive, has it always been that way or did you build it that way because all the South Island tracks are anti-clockwise?

Semi-Pro Racer
    IIRC those Mclaren wheels off the PDL 1 had been cut & widened in at least two areas of each rim in order to suit that car...
    Yep, thats right Rod, Brent Bullivant built that car when he was just 19! Bob Cullinane owned it for a couple of years, I think he purchased it off Baker. Baker fitted the McLaren M10 F5000 wheels when he had it (had BBS prior to that), and I always wondered if these wheels had come off the PDL Mustang I, as this car had similar wheels for many years, and when Steve Ross was restoring PDL I, he advertised that he needed a set of F5000 wheels for the restoration. I think it was Borrie who sold the M10 wheels to an overseas collector who was restoring an F5000.

On top of its many years as a race car, it appeared briefly in the movie Shaker Run:

Do you know if they were the same wheels that ended up on the Capri Jac?

It was a former SS2000? car from the Nth Island, previous owners name escapes my perforated memory at moment!. Yes I made it LHD for that reason, really only used the shell as virtually everything previous was tailored around the 13" rims etc. It had a set of the best looking flares Ive ever seen on a Capri when it arrived & I pleaded with Neame to at least take a set of molds off them for future use, but then he arrived in with the 15" wide Simmons & all that went out the window, I must be getting old, between him & Jack Ondrack Ive about had it with race cars...
    I think I know the car you're talking about, as it raced in SS2000.

Steve : Jesus, how did I forget Mr Cullinane. and yes you did guess "what else did it do" It would have to be one of the most travelled race cars in the country. I Followed it through most of its life, and know Borrie pretty well. He had across the back "Don't worry be Happy" I remember this because he had just got the car and ran it for first time at a club meeting at Puke. First meeting he had driven anything, and he towelled up a well known in first race. The said well known was not impressed with getting passed around the sweeper and reckoned he was cut off. So bounces down pits to sort out this new upstart, well this new upstart when he finally gets out (extracates himself) from car stands about 6ft 6 and about 6ft across shoulders, looks at said well known and says "whats the problem" then silence. Well you could just about smell it in the air and said well known slinked back down pits. Borrie won every race after that and appeared with the sign on back at next meeting and it stayed there. He was a "big" laugh
    I will find photos

Semi-Pro Racer
    If its any help to I.D. the car it had a large amount of damage in the RR corner that had not been pulled out properly, just bogged & paneled over as with coil overs it was not really an issue. Nth Island colur would have been a dirty gold colour IIRC, with BBS lookalike rims.

With regard to the McLaren rims ex PDL1 there may have been more than one set as the tire rack on front of trailer always seemed to have a spare set of slicks plus the wets...
    I think I know the car you're talking about, as it raced in SS2000.

Puke McLaren Festival 2010, Amazing to see 2 beauts together. And this is NZ.

2 slightly different cars with 2 different versions of V6. These sound ohh so nice

Never saw these Capri's racing in the 70's but the two at the Hampton Downs festival were superb

Name:  IMG_6765.jpg
Views: 2394
Size:  127.6 KB

That car of Pierre Neame's looks fantastic. Would like to see and hear it racing. The Capri always looked great in racing configuration and there are some stunnimg cars in NZ

Lucky enough to have seen it at the Teretonga Speed Fest early this year. It is a pretty car and makes the right sound and looks nice on the track.

He'll be racing it at all the OSCA rounds this year, lady wigram meeting, Tier 1 sth island rounds plus more.

Mr Borrie at Puke club day, he drove the car very well, still reckon it is one of the best looking and one of the original Capris still doing it. If it could talk it would be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post

Rod,you jogged my memory ,I had forgotten about that great tyre that sat there on the apex of that corner for some of the meetings