Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musicians and Movie Stars involved in Motorsport.

Musicians and Movie Stars involved in Motorsport.

I`ve always been interested in how some of the rich and famous have and still do enjoy their motorsport. Some that are no longer with us, such as country singer Marty Robbins with his Nascar racing in the `60s,`70s and early `80s. Actor Paul Newman both as a racer and team owner, to name a couple. Then the current batch such as Pink Floyds Nick Mason, `Mr Bean' Rowan Atkinson, both very much involved in Historic racing in the US and the UK. There are several more as well, but it would be interesting to know if any Roaring Season readers have seen them racing or been involved with any of these guys in their motorsport as a hobby.

Just off the top of my head, I saw Nick Mason in a Ferrari 250GTO, BRM V16, and Maserati Birdcage at Silverstone in the 1990s, and also Simon Draper in an Aston Martin DBR4 at the same event. Draper wasn't actually a musician, but he started Virgin Music with Richard Branson etc back in the early '70s. I think Draper and Branson are cousins?

World Champion

World Champion

World Champion
    Led Zeps John Bonham was a big car nut http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot...-zeppelin.html

Semi-Pro Racer
    In NZ we had Phillip Hugh Norman Witschke Rudzevecuis (better known as Phillip Rudd-drummer for AC/DC). He raced a Ford GT40 and had a big crash at Manfeild when a rear upright broke. The car was repaired and went back the UK with Ted Rollinson.
    Slim Borgudd (drummer for ABBA) raced F1.
    Last edited by rf84; 04-22-2013 at 01:17 AM.

World Champion
    AC- DC frontman Brian Johnson drives a Lola T70
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My favourite jazz musician, Chris Barber is still leading the UK's best jazz band after 59 years!!! He had the first customer Lotus Elite and raced in the UK and even toured Germany in it, en route to racing it at the Nurburgring! He clocked up a phenomenal mileage in that car. He then bought the Lotus 47s and ran as an entrant for two or three well known drivers, including Sir John Whitmore, John Hine, Dave Brodie etc.

Name:  chris-racing-03.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  64.9 KB

A regular at most European F1 GPs, it is amazing how often the band were playing not too far from the GP!

He has just sold off his De Salle's but at 83 (last week) still drives a Brabus Mercedes, though according to the ex road manager (who used to race a Healey Sprite), maybe he shouldn't... He is also great pals with Bernie and Jackie Stewart.

Name:  cb_jys.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  18.3 KB

Name:  29_cb_jackiestewart.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  51.1 KB

Talk to him before or after a concert and he'll talk motorsport non-stop. The Elite still survives and I think the Lotus 47 might even be in Oz.
    Last edited by ERC; 04-22-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rf84 View Post
    In NZ we had Phillip Hugh Norman Witschke Rudzevecuis (better known as Phillip Rudd-drummer for AC/DC). He raced a Ford GT40 and had a big crash at Manfeild when a rear upright broke. The car was repaired and went back the UK with Ted Rollinson.
    Slim Borgudd (drummer for ABBA) raced F1.
    His kid was entered at the v8 meeting at puke last week

One bumped to to mark Knofler at donnington running ( and bending) his masarati 300s

Chris rea was tangled up with david piper, driving his ferraris

James Garner is another that springs to mind, oh and i guess steve mcqueen and james dean
    Last edited by rogered; 04-22-2013 at 02:09 AM.

NZ country musician, Brendan Dugan.

Quite a lot of the UK's radio DJ's in the 1970's got into motorsport when commercial radio was to the forefront, sponsoring race meetings - Noel Edmonds being one who took it further than most.
    Last edited by ERC; 04-22-2013 at 03:40 AM.

World Champion
    "So, what are you going to do with the rest of your life?": "I'm going to be a jockey."
    Not a musco or Movie star but should get a mention here
    photo courtesy Speedway Archives
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bry3500; 04-22-2013 at 03:33 AM.

Didn't Chris Rea have that gorgeous 1961 shark nose Ferrari replica built? (No originals survive as the factory destroyed them all.)

Early news frontman Dougal Stevenson had a nasty crash at Manfeild i think,put him off air for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Didn't Chris Rea have that gorgeous 1961 shark nose Ferrari replica built? (No originals survive as the factory destroyed them all.)
    yes he did. i saw it with phil hill at goodwood, but hav nt heard of the car since

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    NZ country musician, Brendan Dugan.

Quite a lot of the UK's radio DJ's in the 1970's got into motorsport when commercial radio was to the forefront, sponsoring race meetings - Noel Edmonds being one who took it further than most.
    actually they held the radio one road show at some race meetings with some of the pop bands of the day present often doing a concert later Chaos ensued when they had the Bay city Rollers at 1 meeting!
    The Radio one DJ then had a race with some musicians Cozzy Powell the drummer was top dog Mike Smith DJ was already racing and later went onto to do BTCC with sierra rs500 Noel edmonds once owned 2 GT40 cars in his early days later he was involved with a LM team
    Yes I know Im behind you guys, i like warm beer and it rains a lot here too.

Chris Rea had a very basic shark nose replica built
    The best car is the Belgians car built by Jim Stokes workshop -stunning i dropped off a lotus 24 there at end of the working day and Jim showed me round his shop and then the ferrari and explained the 40000 photographs they acquired to pour over so they could build 100% replica
    i stood at the back of the car looked forward and said to him there is one thing on this car that must REALLY pish you off!!
    he said yup that FIA LED rain light is an issue they would not let me fit the Lucas light lens !

Apart from Nick Mason running his Lola T290 Hu22 at LM for many years
    Steve O'Rourke the bands manager raced cars had many LM entry with his own team EMKA
    also Dave Gilmour had a go too
    Jay Leno David Letterman have car collections and Indy car race team investment

Shane Lynch from Boyzone raced British GT
    Spice girls brother has been in BTCC last few seasons now pit lane commentator
    Atomic Kitten sponsored BTCC MG team 1 season

Denny Lane of Wings sponsored Dave Coyne in 1981 FF2000

In Japan there was a pop Band sponsored the team Ralf Schumacher raced for in 95
    another F3000 team owner is japanese film/ tv actor

Val Musetti was film stunt man (italian job) and raced F2 F5000 F1 cars in UK events

And rock band Starz sponsorship of Brett Riley's F3 March in '78 or '79.

I guess it was relatively easy to siphon some money out of the mega bucks floating around the recording industry at that time. Don't see Starz or their ilk doing reunion concerts today.

When I started this thread I mentioned country singer Marty Robbins who was also a very good part time Nascar driver. His preference of car was Dodge. At the Talledega Superspeedway in 1972, Robbins stunned the top guns and the crowd by running near the front all race. After the race, Robbins was going to be awarded the `Rookie of the Race' award when he told officials he couldn`t accept the award. His reason, the previous night he removed the restrictor plate between the carb and inlet manifold, which effectively gave him 15 miles per hour more than the others. He told them he just wanted to know what it was like to run up the front and he had achieved that. In todays dog eat dog world such honesty in competition no longer exists.

I love stories like that!

Pre war, there were plenty of musicians racing at all levels. Older poms might remember the "Billy Cotton Band Show" (he introduced pianist Russ Conway to TV) on radio and TV.

Bill drove an ERA and once upon a time, I think we had his driver's armband from a Donington meeting.

I think that Brian Lister (of Lister Jaguar fame) was also a jazz drummer.