Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NZ attack on Le Mans 1996? Any info?

Thanks for all the insider information Richard. Bill's a great guy, and a great story teller, and often talks about the Le Mans campaign at Porsche Club lunches etc, but he hasn't mentioned some of the details that you've shared with us.

In fact in Bill's version of events he came up with the idea; planned the entire campaign; raised the funds; built the cars; and did all the driving single-handed! And each year he tells the story, the finishing position improves and the top speed increases!! Mind you, that is after a few beers. Oh shit - hope Bill doesn't read this!

Hi, Bill Farmer here. John Bennoch has asked I comment and give some insight into the campaign. I will also dig out some photos and post the same. The Drivers were myself, Stephanne Ortelli, Robert Nearn, Owen Evans, Andy Pilgrim, Andrew Bagnall and Greg Murphy. The race at Le Mans was the culmination of a 20 month campaign to commemorate the 30th Anniversary of the Ford entry with New Zealanders Bruce McLaren, Denny Hulme and Chris Amon. The team was run by Richard Lester and ably assisted by Parr Motorsport in the UK - a company owned and still involved in Porsche motorsport by Paul Robe. Other events in the lead up included races in the BPR championship throughout 1995, the 1000km at Suzuka and the 24 Hour race at Daytona.

I look forward to posting more soon, Bill.

Aw, that will be really neat, Bill! I look foward to seeing it.