Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Article: Ford Falcon Sprint

From Bill Meek:
    I have had the Falcon rally sprint for 28-years and have been the only owner as a race car. The car has lap records at a number of circuits including my home circuit -- Barbagallo Raceway in Perth. I started racing historic touring cars in 1985 in a Mini Cooper S and graduated to the Rally Sprint in 1989.
    Name:  _JS83386a.jpg
Views: 1526
Size:  132.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That goes very well and not a lot of tyre on the road. Bill obviously knows the car well.

B.

Cool pic' of Bills car. Note the rear right wheel getting a bit of air

Photo I snapped of Bill's Falcon Sprint at the Muscle Car Masters back in 2007.

Name:  Misc Pics 085.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  177.6 KB

Bill Meeke has researched the 1964 Falcon Rallye Sprint and the Monte Carlo Rallye thoroughly. He has been to Holman Moody and also been to the UK and interviewed Alan Mann and his lead mechanic regarding this subject. He is regarded as an expert on the subject.
    It has been great to have some input from Bill with my build.

Name:  Falcons Laguna Seca.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  118.4 KB

First with drivers, dates and location wins.

Riverside white tires In similar livery after its upgrade to ’64 Falcon specs, Pete Cordts #17a chases down Shelby driver Don Pike’s (# 69a) ’64 Falcon approaching Riverside International Raceway’s distinctive white tires in Turn 7. this was in 1964.

Pete Cordts had purchased a brand new 1963½ Falcon Sprint (car 17a) from his employer, Downey Ford. Within eight months, Cordts transformed this little commuter into a race car — destined to burn up tires and brake pads negotiating road race circuits instead of the quarter-mile. Mike Eddy and his family lived down the street from Cordts, and Mike’s father, Doug, worked for Carroll Shelby, so the connection between the Eddys and the Cordts was destined to be fortuitous for all. It became a life-long connection for the younger Eddy - who now owns and races the car today.
    from Power & Performance News.
    http://www.powerperformancenews.com/...-am-race-cars/
    Last edited by Paul B; 11-19-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Awesome article Paul. I love the detailed photos of the interior.

Mike Eddy worked for Vic Edelbrock on his race cars for many years, my first stop when flying into LAX was to drive 15min down HWY1 and have a cuppa and a catch up with Mike, and a look though the shop...Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Thanks Dale, That is a very nice restoration, I agree with Spgeti, the interior looks fantastic.

Those historic seats are for sale thru Kirkey, but you would need to check with MSNZ if you can use them under Schedule AA.

A combined field of pre-65 and pre-72 historic touring cars at Barbagallo Raceway in Perth October 2017.
    Bill Meek in his 64 Falcon Sprint did very well and came 1st in his class (pre 65) and 4th overall!

Name:  Alan Mann Falcon, now Sweden.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  87.2 KB

One of the Alan Mann cars that went to Sweden. Neat exhaust system.

B

I don't know that I would call it neat, if it means tidy, but probably very effective!

just me being naughty..Probably worth 3 or 4 hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post

B
    Just a bit of slight flaring of the guards as well...

It definitely has that Swedish look about it, Its been heavily modified over the years. See the fuel filler hole in the left rear panel,since blocked up, they had the filler at the back originally.
    Where did you discover that Bruce?
    Another unearthed MCR car.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post

B
    I remember seeing this car for sale in a UK historic racing magazine back in the 1990s. Looked much like this at the time.

During the 1980s a guy in the UK called Eric Walker owned both the Falcon, plus the Dennis Leech 1970 Mustang and the Martin Birrane 1970 Mustang. I made contact with him when I wrote a story on the Leech Mustang a few years ago for The Roaring Season which can be found here: http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...ss-429-Mustang

Eric knew all three cars would become quite valuable in time, and so was keeping them with the intention to restore them, but a divorce in 1987 meant he had to sell them.

Both Mustangs eventually ended up in the US, with the Biranne car restored back to how he raced it in the BSCC. I believe this was a Ford test or mule car for building the Kar-Kraft Mustangs?

The Leech Mustang is now back in the UK, having recently been purchased by long-time Ford/Cobra historic racer Bill Shepperd.

This is how the Leech and Biranne Mustangs looked when Eric owned them:

Name:  img111.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  101.6 KB

Name:  img112.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  112.8 KB

Eric was not wrong Steve! Great machines there.
    The poor old Falcon has had the "cut and paste". the Mustangs are very cool.
    Nonetheless all good history!

I can't believe that is an 'original' Alan Mann Racing unit -- if it is, they have completely destroyed its value by making such outlandish mods to the car that bear no resemblance to the period specification. Just because its painted red and gold ...................?