Thread: Early Holden Racing....pre EH

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Semi-Pro Racer
    Steve
    Nb (for Humpies) still have to have 15" wheels, can be 6" wide, same as original stud pattern but allowed to run 13" hubs with adapters plates to get over the old FX,FJ breaking hubs problem.
    Most dont comply with Nb rules as they like to build them up as they raced them in period which is understandable...probably means they are ( much ) younger drivers also from a later period but cant help bad luck...lol

The red one is only 3 years old. Its built the same as the one he raced in early 70's. Its disc braked front, CR 3 sp box, 13" wheels but still has the Grey engine...(with one of my spare tubular pushrods loaned to complete his set, and a rear back guard to replace one damaged at previous Baskerville.....lol)
    It has a few of his old original bits like wheels and carbs...goes really well. Lives only 4 km from me in Launceston.

The pic below is the old blue logbooked car....... still has the same owner from around 1965....(with some of my spare long wheel studs as he had a problem at Baskerville....If I loan enuff bits may get a few more out on track)

Frank Manley in the pics below raced this car in mid 60's thru to 70's including Longford. He still owns it and brought it out and drove it at this years Longford Revival and Baskerville Historics recently. Frank is 82 years young and is the life of the party. His other claim to fame is the driver (and still the owner) of the Monaro hanging off the Tasman Bridge in Hobart when the bridge was struck and knocked down by the freighter Lake Illawarra .

Franks main problem at Baskerville was a blown headgasket. The scruitineers also discovered his fire extinguisher was just 27 years out of date......just a minor detail for Frank.

Frank pictured with his old helmet and licenses....
    Last edited by Ellis; 11-16-2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: pics added