Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tony Vandervell and the Vanwell Racing cars

Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    Colin Vandervell was GAV son and he raced in British F3 in the 1970s
    Drifty, Colin Vandervell did a bit more than that. He was British Formula Ford Champion in 1970 driving, I think, the same "magic Merlyn" Mk 11A Merlyn that Emerson Fittipaldi and Jody Scheckter drove. As well as F3, in 1973 he ran in Formula Atlantic in the UK, winning from NZ's John Nicholson in the Yellow Pages series with Johnny Nick reversing the result in the less prestigious BP series.

Incidentally, although its is obliquely referred to in Rod's articles, the 4 Cylinder Vanwall engine was essentially 4 "single knocker" Norton motors strung together in the modified Rolls Royce crankcase inside a water jacket. Simple but effective as so much development work had already been done to the donor Norton motor in both bikes and 500cc F3.

Little bit of the story after 'GAV' passed
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Bit more history

Continued

more

Yes Howard i know Colin Vandervell was a front running driver in his day in various categories
    after F3 he had a go at Touring cars in a Capri and then i think he decided to concentrate on business
    Yes I know Im behind you guys, i like warm beer and it rains a lot here too.

Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    Yes Howard i know Colin Vandervell was a front running driver in his day in various categories
    after F3 he had a go at Touring cars in a Capri and then i think he decided to concentrate on business
    This Andrew Marriot article is worth a read http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/9325.html

Hi Guys as A young fella I was in love the later shape of the VANWALL espcialy when Moss drove. Jamie A