Thread: Championship Chase - Norm Beechey 1970 ATCC Film

Championship Chase - Norm Beechey 1970 ATCC Film

This is an amazing documentary reviewing Norm Beecheys much celebrated 1970 Australian Touring Car Championship win in his famous HT Monaro. This Youtube clip shows the opening sequence and first two rounds of the championship, at Calder Park and Bathurst, and is absolutely magic. The first segment, where Norm and his team load the Monaro onto the back of the team transporter really amazes me, because they do so down an alleyway that appears to have residential houses backing on to it and surrounding it. I've been standing next to Beechey's Monaro at idle, and its without doubt one of the noisiest cars I've ever witnessed. This must have shaken the windows loose in the neighbouring houses!

There are outlets selling the complete film, just Google search Norm Beechey Championship Chase and a list of retailers should appear. This little 5 minute snippet should be enough to convince you to get your credit cars out:

At last- a real TransAus Muscle car.
    Knowing how you are a Monaro man,Steve, its most suitable that you posted it.
    Simply an outstanding effort by an Aussie to beat the best the world could throw at it including genuine TransAms.
    This will inspire the workers and drivers of a certain white Monaro.
    Never forget his performance at Puke.
    And in the vid. the 911s are way back- excellent.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 05-06-2013 at 07:53 AM.

Its awesome to see how hard these cars were driven in their day. Its also impressive to see the straight line performance of the Beechey Monaro at Calder!

For those who haven't seen this, turn the sound up and enjoy. This is pure awesomeness!