Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Bruce Wells Collection - Warwick Farm - Part 4

Leo Geoghegan plays the larrikin

Name:  27.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  120.3 KB

Journeyman Racer
    Those are really great photos and where else can you see great tyre smoking photos like this other than this site. I rather imagine this is the type of thing Steve had in mind when he started the "Roaring Season" Thanks again mate!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    More sports car photos to come, but here are a few touring car photos, including this great shot of a Lotus Cortina. Can anyone ID who this is? It kind of looks like Bob Jane driving, and remembering he destroyed his Mustang at Catalina Park in late 1965, did he revert back to the Cortina for 1966?
    An interesting side note regarding this car: It ended up being an Appendx J car that was evetually purchased by Jim McKeowan in the 90's and was vigorously campained in Victoria... Jim still had what it took to run up the front... I feel very lucky that I was able to see Jim in action, second time round! It's kind of a shame that this car went to the UK as it is such a significant piece of Aussie race history.

Thanks Pauly, I didn't know that. Do you know if this is the same car he raced in early 1965 before his Mustang arrived? I assumed it was just parked up while Bob raced the Mustang, then rolled back out again after the Mustang crash.

Compared to Geoghegan pictured above, Jackie Stewart is a picture of intensity.

Name:  28.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  122.2 KB

Graham Hill enjoys a cold one.

Name:  31.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  124.5 KB

The FX Holden with the stripe across the bonnet No.53 is it Des West, he had a stripe like that.

Des usually raced as #27 Rod, but it could well be. There were so many of these Humpy Holdens raced in Aus in the '60s I doubt anyone actually knows them all.

Lined up for the race start, and the front row of the grid has Jim Clark on pole in the Lotus, alongside Graham Hill in the BRM, and, nearest camera, Frank Gardner in the Brabham. This is also the order in which they finished. Note that Gardner hasn't yet pulled on his goggles.

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  147.8 KB

And, moments later, all hell and fury.....

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  157.5 KB

Dramatic shot here of Gardner. Bruce must have been on his belly in the grass to capture this one.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  142.9 KB

At the same place, Hill fires his BRM through sideways. Note the inside front wheel just cocking up off the deck.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  146.5 KB

Some really wonderful pics here. Weren't we lucky to have been through these days when the worlds' best came down. Now I really know why most racing doesn't do it for me.

The Cooper S looks a lot like the one Brian Foley raced through 1964 and '65, but did he still own it in early 1966?

Attachment 18499
    Wow Steve!

More brilliant Bruce Wells photos.

#9 in theory probably is the old P & R Williams BMC, UK-built Cooper S that Foley used in 1964. For this 13/2/66 meeting Steve Harvey should be wrestling the understeer. The programme lists it as 1310cc in Red/White. Brian raced it with the factory Black roof. This could be Event 3 'Touring Car Race (Improved Production Under 1500cc).

Any help to ID the Cooper S and Cortina drivers here would be great.

Attachment 18511

Attachment 18512
    The 2 Cooper S in post 16 are probably the same race as the Steve Harvey one. Same for the Cortina and Cooper S after it.

#22 Rick W Radford/ dvr Ron Haylen Morris Cooper S 1275 White/Red. This is an Australian production Cooper S in Toga White with Burgundy Red roof.
    #49 MacDonalds Tuning Service/dvr C MacDonald (Res) Morris Cooper S 1098 Red/Black. So this is a UK-built Cooper S, with the 1071cc based engine.

What I think is #45 Esso Service Centre Waterloo/dvr G MacDonald Ford Cortina GT (Res) 1498cc Blue.

#27 Humphrey's Golden Fleece S/S Toowoomba/ J Osborne (Res) Austin Cooper S 1071 (with the colour stated as) Blue/White. Being an Austin version this is a rare beast in Australia, probably a private import. But looking at the car in a B&W photo my first thought would have been to say Old English White body with a Black roof. This being the factory UK color scheme. But maybe the roof was painted blue. We can only surmise.
    Last edited by Cooper997; 05-28-2013 at 01:56 AM.

Oh wow, that is really fantastic info! Thanks for posting and filling in those gaps.

This is how the race ended for Don O'Sullivan's Cooper

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  155.8 KB

Brilliant to see this shot, Steve.

Alas, a long way across the Nullabor to end with one rather bent ex Bib Stillwell/Bill Patterson 'intercontinental' Cooper Climax though.

The RCN report states "O'Sullivan's race came to a grinding halt at Creek Corner, the West Australian losing the Cooper in a big way and giving the fence a helluva thump."

Looking at the following week's Lakeside Tasman/AGP meeting it appears he was a non-starter. Understandable. But he was running again at the Sandown round 2 weeks after crashing.

Stephen
    Last edited by Cooper997; 05-28-2013 at 02:47 AM.

.....and he only got in 5 laps of the main race before this happened.