Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Photos: The Bruce Wells Collection - Warwick Farm - Part 4

Thanks Terry, fantastic! Do you know if it still exists? Its a great looking car. The engine size, would that be a 260ci V8?

Can't actually see the driver in this photo to see if they're wearing a helmet. But I expect they're not. Pretty sure this Ferrari was probably being used for purposes other than racing.

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  90.2 KB

This is the last photo for this chapter. Terry, you appear to have a programme from this event. Any thoughts on whose Lotus Cortina engine bay this is? At first I thought maybe it was Bob Jane, but the car pictured doesn't have the centre stripes of the Jane car. Was Allan Moffat at this event?

Maybe it was a road car pictured in the pits or parking lot.

Name:  64.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  128.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    This is the last photo for this chapter. Terry, you appear to have a programme from this event. Any thoughts on whose Lotus Cortina engine bay this is? At first I thought maybe it was Bob Jane, but the car pictured doesn't have the centre stripes of the Jane car. Was Allan Moffat at this event?

Maybe it was a road car pictured in the pits or parking lot.

Name:  64.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  128.6 KB
    Yes Steve I do have programme if its the Feb 66 Warwick Farm meet.
    It may be Max Volkers of Qld, who ran in the Series Production Race, and those cars had to be very standard(at least on the surface...) His was only LC in that race, and it looks very standard.
    An interesting thing I hadn't noticed before about Jane's car (entered in later Imp Prod race) was that the entrant is listed as Ford Motor Co. So maybe his car was actually owned by Ford. very curious.
    Agree not Jane's as I recall Jane's had stripes from the start.

Thats a Lotus Elan guys...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by zombie289 View Post
    Ah, rivet counters. What would we do without them.......

Quote Originally Posted by zombie289 View Post
    Ha ha ha ha ha. Thanks Pauly, I didn't even bother to take a closer look at the engine bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post

Thats it Terry, no rivets is a give away.
    Love to have that engine now.

If you knew me mate you would know I'm FAR from being a f%#king rivet counter... Unfortunately I have looked at so many damn cortina engine bays over the years I could tell them by braille....

Semi-Pro Racer
    The car on the very left of the photo is I think the Barracuda Ford V8 of P Wallace. It was of 4,457cc and green.
    It was listed in the programme as a Reserve but most likely got a start
    Yes, I would say it was Peter Wallace in the Barracuda. I would also reckon it is Ray Strong in the Elfin Mallala in front.
    Dale.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Harvey View Post
    Yes, I would say it was Peter Wallace in the Barracuda. I would also reckon it is Ray Strong in the Elfin Mallala in front.
    Dale.
    Dale, #35 is an Elfin Mallala, but entrant and driver listed in the programme is R Robinson.
    I don't recall anything of him.

Semi-Pro Racer
    That is Rex Robinson. Yes he raced a Mallala way back. He has not long ago returned to the track for some fun. Ray Strong raced a Mallala in the 60's that was silver in colour. That is why I suggested him.
    Dale.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Harvey View Post
    That is Rex Robinson. Yes he raced a Mallala way back. He has not long ago returned to the track for some fun. Ray Strong raced a Mallala in the 60's that was silver in colour. That is why I suggested him.
    Dale.
    Re the Elfin Mallala in post # 99

Dale you had me intrigued with the Robinson and Strong cars as there were only 5 Mallala built, so I had to do some detectiving.
    They are in fact the SAME car.

It was the second Mallala built and was chassis # S6315. It was delivered in mid 1963 to Adelaide's Brian Morrell. He fitted it with a 1,890cc Consul engine. He raced it for a year then some Victorians had it. Then Rex Robinson bought it in mid 1964.
    He fitted a 1,475cc Cortina engine, but not a twin cam, so it suffered against the Lotus 23's which were mostly twin cams.

Ray Strong bought it in early 1966 and raced it for 6 years. He then sold it to Malcolm Weir.
    Interestingly Robinson, Strong and Weir were all from the NSW south coast.
    It then went to various Victorians where it is still in existence. Importantly all 5 Mallalas are believed to still be in existence, including one in NZ.

The colour was note in programmes as "silver" but it was actually a very shiny "gunmetal grey".

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    Think Terry S reply refers to #79

The Lola Climax ended up coming to Tassie. A very pretty little car

Ellis, I personally think the Lola looked nicer with the original standard bodywork, as below, but that would have been with much narrower rear wheels than the Geoghegans fitted

Originally posted by Steve Holmes
    The Bob Jane Elfin, from another angle.

Attachment 19582
    I think that's Peter Williamson in the Elfin Imp behind Jane.

And regarding O'Sullivan's crashed Cooper, it wasn't rebuilt IIRC, he bought another car for Sandown.

This is a beautiful shot. And notice the spectators hanging over the fence. Very neat.

Attachment 19984
    Martin now ahead of Palmer...

Here is Bib Stillwell in the beautiful Cooper Monaco Buick, sledging forward with understeer.

Attachment 20346
    Dick Thurston, Stillwell had retired after the Gold Star of '65. Hence his Brabham was available for Mildren/Gardner when the V12 Maserati project failed.

OK, time for some sports car action, and Leo Geoghegan is in the Lotus Elan, but who is ducking up the inside?

Attachment 20345
    Niel Allen, and it's Pete Geoghegan following.

Whoops... that one was already corrected.

The Lola, by the way, was no longer an 1100, it was 1220cc by this time I'm sure. It held the Warwick Farm record for its class at 1:43.2 for years after Johnny Martin set it in about 1963, I think that was the 1100 class, however. It was only beaten after the class limit was raised to 1300cc and much better tyres came out.
    Last edited by Ray Bell; 03-18-2015 at 03:39 PM.