Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Holden Monaro

Good point about the flares I hadn't thought of that and would they allow glass doors in speedway?Anyway I managed to get the doors at the time and got a photo of them today to show the colours. Note also that they were purple at one time.The only other clues I can offer is that this was in the early 90s,maybe 92-93 and I bought it from a guy in Kaiapoi.Name:  249.JPG
Views: 2001
Size:  176.9 KBName:  250.JPG
Views: 1927
Size:  153.2 KB

Make a suggestion- could be Sylvester Monaro. They did two, one for the circuit,other for Speedway. Try Grant at Sylvester Spares-he could help.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Make a suggestion- could be Sylvester Monaro. They did two, one for the circuit,other for Speedway. Try Grant at Sylvester Spares-he could help.
    Don't recall a speedway car, thought it was one drag racer & one circuit racer, Neil Stuart might know, anyone have contact with him? IIRC it was a darker purple or even dark blue along with green & white colours on those SPCS Monaro's.
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 04-05-2014 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    Don't recall a speedway car, thought it was one drag racer & one circuit racer, Neil Stuart might know, anyone have contact with him? IIRC it was a darker purple or even dark blue along with green & white colours on those SPCS Monaro's.
    The second Monaro was sold by Silvester to a guy surname George whose first name escapes me right now.

I think it was sold as a shell or rolling shell and I did some work on the rear suspension for him. He was building it up as a circuit car, I'm not sure if he ever raced it. Previous to that he had raced a standard road going Lancia Beta at club level.

He was a guy from Chch who was initially a builder, then had a joinery business, then bought a dyno and set up a tuning business in Bromley. Last I heard he was driving a taxi but probably well retired now. None of his ventures seem to last long and maybe his ownership of the Monaro was another passing phase. I don't know if he ever completed it. I'm sure someone will remember it if it ever appeared at Ruapuna. As I recall it was still painted in the SPCS colours. The purple in the photo would be about right for the SPCS colours. I can't remember exactly when I was involved with it but maybe around 1975ish

Edit: Just remembered, his name was Roger George. Took a wee while for all the brain cells to connect up. Again!
    Last edited by Russ Noble; 04-05-2014 at 06:56 AM.

I can't see this HK mentioned on this thread, wonder where it ended up?

This photo is Jim Palmer from Nelson? at Ruapuna, I believe the car went to Ron Rutherford who did a few races before using it in the Heatway Rally (not sure what year)

For those who are keen on a project, may I suggest-
    http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/...o/1968/227514/
    he car is imported during seventies from Australia, but communists confiscated it and the first owner went back to Australia without his Monaro. Ex Yugoslavian state agency sold it on public auction, but the new owner could't use it because it is left hand traffic. He abandoned it in his village where I finally found it a year ago. The car is a good option for restoration project. The floor is problematic because it has some holes and rust but it is easiest to fix. All rare parts are saved. The machine is stuck and I didn't try to start it because I didn't want to produce some damage. I contacted the Holdens' register in London and they told me that it is probably the only Holden in whole Europe except UK. This Monaro needs a good restoration and I am not able to do it in Serbia, because meantime I moved to live in Florence (Italy). Finally, I decided to sell it. The car has all documents, so it can be exported. Buyer pays shipping costs. I am ready to hear your offers. The price is negotiable.

Its a three on the tree, and I love the wording about rust in the floor is problematic........
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 04-20-2014 at 07:37 PM.

#205- Jim Palmer from Hamilton,was sponsored by Blackwoods motors Christchurch to bring this Monaro down to the Rothmans Production Saloon Car race at Ruapuna in April 20 1969.This was the one where Brent Hawes had his tragic accident. Jim Palmer won the race, Ron Rutherford in a Mustang-looking very Shelby also was there, he got second.
    Is the Cortina behind Palmer the one of Gerald Hrgraves that he rolled during this race?
    Yellow HK Monaros raced in productions at this time were- Jim Palmer, Brian Scobie, Charles MacIndoe.Will check to see if these are all the same car
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 04-21-2014 at 05:10 AM.

Name:  Palmer Puke.jpg
Views: 1726
Size:  33.6 KBName:  Palmer and Buchanan.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  35.1 KBHopefully! Some photos I took with the first transparency camera I got.

Some time back I was chasing information on Norm Beechey's HK Monaro for an article I was writing. Thanks to the assistance of quite a few people I managed to 'almost' put it to bed, the final chapter of where the car is today is unfinished. A very short edited version of my article was recently published in Australian Muscle Car magazine Issue 74. Thank you to everyone that took the time to help me out with information, pics and contacts. Lastly, if anyone does have a clue on where this mighty Monaro is right now - I'd love to hear from you.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 11.44.10 AM.jpg
Views: 1537
Size:  162.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Aron Peters View Post
    Some time back I was chasing information on Norm Beechey's HK Monaro for an article I was writing. Thanks to the assistance of quite a few people I managed to 'almost' put it to bed, the final chapter of where the car is today is unfinished. A very short edited version of my article was recently published in Australian Muscle Car magazine Issue 74. Thank you to everyone that took the time to help me out with information, pics and contacts. Lastly, if anyone does have a clue on where this mighty Monaro is right now - I'd love to hear from you.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 11.44.10 AM.jpg
Views: 1537
Size:  162.7 KB
    I was reading a story on this car on a forum that said it was in a paddock on a property in WA and had been retrieved for restoration and had changed hands a couple of times and was now in Melbourne with the restoration ready to start.
    If I can find the article again I will post a link on here.

Found this on Facebook but still haven't found the site where I read about it being brought to Melbourne. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    #205- Jim Palmer from Hamilton,was sponsored by Blackwoods motors Christchurch to bring this Monaro down to the Rothmans Production Saloon Car race at Ruapuna in April 20 1969.This was the one where Brent Hawes had his tragic accident. Jim Palmer won the race, Ron Rutherford in a Mustang-looking very Shelby also was there, he got second.
    Is the Cortina behind Palmer the one of Gerald Hrgraves that he rolled during this race?
    Yellow HK Monaros raced in productions at this time were- Jim Palmer, Brian Scobie, Charles MacIndoe.Will check to see if these are all the same car
    According to this page the Cortina is Ross Hore from Nelson/Blenheim..
    http://mcc.museums.org.nz/1969_Ruapuna_in_Apr.htm

This Monaro popped up on facebook and Trademe recently. Has no body tags and has been in storage since 1981. Looks like a really clean car. The owner seems to think its an old circuit racer, but doesn't look familiar to me. Looks more like a '70s street machine.

Anyone recognize the car? Its located in Auckland.

Name:  18425457_10203249525036922_3585808829693631297_n.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  117.3 KB

Name:  18446586_10203249524876918_7692779580515888179_n.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  125.1 KB

The guy is parting it out. The shell would be great for a historic race car as it can't be put back on the road. Trademe auction here: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...1324988239.htm

Steve- saw it 3 years ago. You are correct- Not an ex circuit racer, no sign of any holes from a cage at all. A 70s street machine with no tags.....at all However I can recommend the body.

Does this car ring any bells for people? Photo taken at Pukekohe GT100 race 1975

Name:  32-Monaro-Pukekohe-75.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  136.6 KB

Milan may have a program for tie event showing this car

There was a number 32 Holden Monaro GTS driven by Bill MacPherson from Mirimar entered in the Rod Coppins 300 at Pukekohe on June 22, 1975

Found this on facebook today. Neat photo of Ron Silvester's Monaro.

David Batchelor photo.

Name:  22310708_1520701254679489_1736642153353917194_n.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  130.0 KB

I think this may be the first colour photo I have seen of this car.

Ron McPhail photo.

Name:  14224716_10208185436049837_8618549978393000756_n.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  103.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I've been a fan all my life. Two particular cars were a big influence on me at a young age;

1. The Night Riders stolen black HQ Monaro in Mad Max 1, which exited the movie in a ball of flames.
    2. The ex-Jim Richards Jerry Clayton owned HQ Monaro that was raced out of Waikaraka Park speedway, and eventually ended up at my local speedway in Palmerston North, owned by Bill Dorn, and painted up like an American flag. With tall injector stacks bursting through the hood and open exhausts, it was a real weapon.

So how about a thread dedicated to 1st and 2nd gen Holden Monaros, from HK - HZ in 2 and 4 door form. There were several raced in speedway in Australia and New Zealand, plus in production car racing including Bathurst. From there they competed in Improved Production in Aus, and Sports Sedans on both sides of the Tasman

Today, there are several that race in Australia in both historic racing and the Touring Car Masters series.

Here is a rare photo of the famous Richards, Easton, Dorn Monaro when it finally ended up as a Streetstock in Palmerston North.