Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ronnie & Barbro Peterson

Its a bit like Napoleon. He happened to be around just at the time the French were looking for a short brilliant fascist dictator. If he had been born in Wales, he would have managed a pub and married a sheep. Gammy bastard

World Champion
    Yes, well, that gives a new definition to 'Not tonight Josephine'!

We are so disrespectful to Custaxie......

World Champion
    I apologise undeservidly

World Champion
    But on a lighter note and back to the subject, from memory Ronnie was not really mechanically minded, what was the story about him trying to explain something about what was wrong with his car when he was at Lotus

World Champion
    Sorry Norm, its world Gin day, and I am celebrating

Quote Originally Posted by RUSS CUNNINGHAM View Post
    Hitler committed suicide? Last time I saw him he was running a gas station in Huntly. Apparently he's thinking of standing for the Mana party, come election time.
    Now be nice Russ because one day they may want your land also.

World Champion
    Ronnie Peterson Statue Orebro
    Name:  800px-Ronnie-peterson-statue.jpg
Views: 2473
Size:  158.2 KB

You know, I do not have alot of early F1 memories, However there are 4 incidents, 2 deaths, 2 races that are indelibly marked on my memory, First seeing the crash that eventually killed Peterson on the news, second being woken on the 8th May 1982 by my father to the news of Villeneuves death, then within weeks the Monaco GP1982 shown '"Live" on TVNZ, then seeing the San Marino Gp at a car show in Palmerston North, a race i rewatched only a month ago, brilliant driving by Arnoux, Pironi and Villeneuve, such a shame of how that all ended.

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Ronnie Peterson Statue Orebro
    Name:  800px-Ronnie-peterson-statue.jpg
Views: 2473
Size:  158.2 KB

You know, I do not have alot of early F1 memories, However there are 4 incidents, 2 deaths, 2 races that are indelibly marked on my memory, First seeing the crash that eventually killed Peterson on the news, second being woken on the 8th May 1982 by my father to the news of Villeneuves death, then within weeks the Monaco GP1982 shown '"Live" on TVNZ, then seeing the San Marino Gp at a car show in Palmerston North, a race i rewatched only a month ago, brilliant driving by Arnoux, Pironi and Villeneuve, such a shame of how that all ended.
    Something went down in the pits with Villeneuve, and may not have had a clear head when he went out for the last time maybe oldfart knows.As for Pironi was he the one who was killed in a boat race.

World Champion
    I know what went down Norm, just passing comment on what a waste of a life it is and just shows that whne you will not let something go how it can destroy someone, it was similar to what happened between Webber and Vettel, just with a better ending.
    The only difference is that Webber let it go, however he may feel privately he has not let it show publicly, unlike Villeneuve who vowed never to let Pironi beat him again, therefore with Pironi 6th and Villeneuve 8th in qualifying, Villeneuve took a chance he may not have normally taken all to beat his teammate, a real waste as if he had not, given how the Ferrari ended up, he may well have ended up the 82 World Champion.

Name:  176_02 ronnie.jpg
Views: 7820
Size:  66.3 KB

I built this Scalextric version of Donington, a year before it opened (I won't tell you what Tom Wheatcroft thought of my building abilities, but when I said it would at least be operational before his, he walked away laughing his head off!). We had a stand at their 1976 Racing Car Show, in conjunction with Donington Park as we knew that we would be the first car club to run an event at the rebuilt track. As you can see from the pic, Ronnie Petersen had a go, but local Super Saloon driver Mick Hill, held the record at that time.

Name:  176_02nscc.jpg
Views: 1649
Size:  66.3 KB

All the older photographs on the stand were taken by my Dad, at the pre-war Donington events. Assisting with the stand contruction was the then NSCC secretary's wife, Judy Bragg.
    Last edited by ERC; 06-17-2013 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Added pic

The song was also dedicated to Niki Lauda, Gordon Murray, and all Formula One drivers, and the video featured Jackie Stewart as George's chauffeur.
    Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    George Harrison wrote a song about him