Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merv Neill

Merv Neill

I believe Merv Neill passed away yesterday. Another good man gone.

World Champion
    2 Shots from my fathers collection

Ray New, Ronnie Moore Merv Neill and Ken McKinley
    Name:  Ray New, Ronnie Moore, Merv Neil & Ken McKinley.jpg
Views: 1625
Size:  192.3 KB
    Merv Neill about to fall at Palmerston North Speedway
    Name:  Merv Neil about to fall - PN Speedway.jpg
Views: 1703
Size:  147.4 KB

Sad to hear of these legends passing. Remember watching Merv Neill when I was a young fella, think Merv drove a Charger in B&H as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Sad to hear of these legends passing. Remember watching Merv Neill when I was a young fella, think Merv drove a Charger in B&H as well.
    Yes he did, in 1974. With his co-driver David Owen he finished fourth and was later promoted to third after the Leonard/Sprague Charger was disqualified.

Name:  Neil Charger 74.JPG
Views: 1564
Size:  63.0 KB

Great pic - He also did a pretty good job in an XU1

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Great pic - He also did a pretty good job in an XU1
    Yea thought he had a play in a XU1, did he do the Glenvale 200 at Baypark.

Merv also did the 1971 B&H with Tim Bailey in a Valiant V8.

His daughter Christine competed at the 1974 meeting, driving a Fiat 128 in the Castrol GTX race. Steve Emson was another 128 driver in that race.

Milan, At the funeral Christine said Merv had talked her into racing with a photo of her and Merv at the front of the 128.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I was at that meeting and I remember Steve and Christine racing those three wheeling 128s From memory I think Christine was sponsored by Hullabaloo or similar which was a fashion shop in Queen Street.

Quote Originally Posted by GeebeeNZ View Post
    I was at that meeting and I remember Steve and Christine racing those three wheeling 128s From memory I think Christine was sponsored by Hullabaloo or similar which was a fashion shop in Queen Street.

She was indeed sponsored by Hullabaloo -Top Gear For Fast Ladies.

Name:  Neil 128.JPG
Views: 1219
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  Emson 128.JPG
Views: 1263
Size:  39.3 KB

Steve Emson displaying the three-wheeling style of the 128.

World Champion
    from other images this seems a very familiar angle for Steve, about the only car of Steves on here I haven't seen in 3 wheel pose is the Modus.

I remember Merv racing the Red XU1 against Dad. Christine was a great little driver in the 128 at Pukekohe.
    I had to run my car with the full exhaust on it because I was racing it in the Benson & Hedges 500 with John Woolf straight afterwards. All the others had the exhaust off giving another 7-10hp
    The other guys in the race did not see which way she went! I think she had a little off at Levin and didn't race again after that.

Hi all - thanks for the very kind messages after my Dad passed away. I actually finished the season and Dad & I were planning to race together in the B&H however my personal life took a change and I started a family. The accident in Levin was just a blip on the radar which caused some problems for me when I rolled at a practice day in Pukekohe (not doing the car any good!). I have fond memories of my short racing experience - it sure was a different world being a woman driver in the 70's!

Hi Christine,

Sorry if I got that a little wrong. I don't remember all the details with the 128's, just bits and pieces that I do remember quite well for various reasons.
    You certainly drove the car very well at Pukekohe in that first round. It was a great effort and the other competitors did not see which way we went when we were out front together. I hope you did enjoy yourself that day. I think you told me once that you did have fun. I wonder whether you felt any additional pressure to do well for two reasons. Being the daughter of a well known successful Dad, and secondly being a female? Being the son of a well known Dad I can share that with you. Also my good mate John Woolf & also Grant Sprague shared that situation.
    I think that with John and me, there wasn't anything from the Dad's, but we just wanted to drive as fast as we could. I remember your Dad racing the red XU1 against my Dad. Sorry to hear the sad news. He was a great competitor. I hope you and your family is doing great! My best regards to you,
    Steve

PS I am now a Grandad, now that is pretty special!

Name:  rsz_img_0026_new.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  94.7 KB

Here is pic of my old car, It spent a lot of time on 3 wheels as they all did!
    Name:  rsz_ist_time_around_this_corner.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  107.4 KB
    Last edited by Steve Emson; 06-17-2013 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Merv. Neil [Cooper-Climax T39] was the winner of the main race at the first national race meeting at Teretonga Park 30 November 1957. Ernie Sprague was second [Maserati 4CLT]
    There is a nice photo of Merv. page 45 Teretonga 25 book. Maybe Mrs Neil as well?

Christine , very sorry to hear about yr dad ,I do remember the NEIL name well but was a little young at that time to mix & mingle with the bigger boys [coming from the south island], & those little fiat 128,s what amazing little cars , we have something in common , & Steve [WAS]just about to join our twosome club but did not quite tip his over by the looks of Steve,s pic. BUT CLOSE
    Steve I have all those piks of my old blue 128 ,plus others I will post but really want to add the one of us two side by side at B/P, I spent a good two hours compiling some but want the one of us two it will turn up , I think we both had long hair lol. AND STEVE CONGRATS FOR BEING A GRANDAD so cool for you , my oldest is 13 & is only about 2 inches shorter than me & drop dead pretty like her Mum , she started driving at home was 10 at the time in an old station wagon trade in , was thinking the go cart thing & decided against it .
    Last edited by Grant Sprague; 06-17-2013 at 08:30 AM.

1974 Photos

Name:  Neil.Gray.Chargers.B.H.1974.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  79.4 KB

Name:  Merv.Neil.B.H.1974.000.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  Emson.Neill.GTX.1974.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:  Fiat.128s.GTX.1974.copy.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  61.6 KB

Hi Gang Never met the man but I did race his Cooper Bobtail Jamie A

Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Hi Gang Never met the man but I did race his Cooper Bobtail Jamie A
    Is that the one Grant Bloore had for a while? If not what was the history of his, and where did it go?

Semi-Pro Racer
    No, there were two bobtails in NZ and Grant Bloore had the other one. It's now in Australia

Jamie's was all but destroyed by fire (after his ownership) but I think some remains exist. Maybe one day it will reappear