Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Photos: The Geoff Russell Collection

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Really loving these photos Geoff. What is the story with the Brabham? Is it an ex-F1 car?
    Hi Steve, some info about it here http://forums.autosport.com/index.ph...=73721&hl=bt43.

Thanks Bondy, some great info there.

Keep 'em coming Geoff, these are fantastic!

Journeyman Racer
    Back into the photo album again - two images of Greg McCombie's Lotus 23B at Amaroo Park in
    1977. Greg carried the Chokito wrapper scheme across to his Matich in later times. It would be interesting to know the full history of this car and whether it still exists. Note the extended muffler that is fitted to achieve compliance with the noise restrictions placed on the circuit under the council consent framework and to keep the rural neighbours happy.

Name:  AP1977GMcCombiew.jpg
Views: 1916
Size:  74.4 KB

Name:  AP1977GMcCombie2w.jpg
Views: 1866
Size:  92.1 KB

Journeyman Racer
    Paul McCurdy was driving a car called the Manx Alfa at Amaroo Park on 29th May 1977. I don't have any technical detail about the Manx Alfa nor of its history. If you look closely you will see that it is under tow back to the pits. Hopefully it was an easy fix!

Name:  AP290577PMcCurdyw.jpg
Views: 1795
Size:  87.2 KB

Journeyman Racer
    In the pit area at Amaroo Park, continuing the 1977 Group A sports car theme, is Tony Dale's very sleek looking Elva Ford with Tony Roberts SR2 parked alongside.

Name:  AP290577TDalew.jpg
Views: 1812
Size:  80.1 KB

Journeyman Racer
    The Gardos/McLaren M8 of Barry Singleton also in the Amaroo Park pit area in April 1977. I have heard that apparently the car is now accepted as a McLaren and is in the Mathews Collection in the USA. This image may help clarify some of the car's unknown Australian history.

Name:  AP100477BSingltonw.jpg
Views: 1835
Size:  82.8 KB
    Last edited by GFR; 08-23-2013 at 07:26 AM.

[QUOTE=GFR;32789]Back into the photo album again - two images of Greg McCombie's Lotus 23B at Amaroo Park in
    1977. Greg carried the Chokito wrapper scheme across to his Matich in later times. It would be interesting to know the full history of this car and whether it still exists. Note the extended muffler that is fitted to achieve compliance with the noise restrictions placed on the circuit under the council consent framework and to keep the rural neighbours happy.

McCombie’s Lotus 23B was originally imported by Pete Geoghegan in late 1964 to replace the Lotus 23 he had sold to Greg Cusack.
    He ran it for first time at Warwick Farm Tasman meeting in February 1965, and won first time out.
    It was painted black but was soon converted to white with the Total stripes.
    He ran it many times in 1965, having some fantastic dices with Cusack.
    His last race with it was winning the Australian Tourist Trophy at Lakeside in November 1965.
    It was sold at the meeting to Frank Demuth, who trailered it home to ensure he got what he paid for.
    Demuth’s first race was at Warwick Farm Tasman meeting. He was embarrassed by Geoghegan being all over him in the much older and smaller Lotus Climax 1100 that Geoghegan had taken as a trade in from Demuth.
    He raced it for a few years but his racing career was cut short by being charged with fraud.
    It was then sold to John Martin. He had a major accident near Warwick Farm’s northern crossing when the car rolled and he was hospitalised for a long time and he never raced again.
    The wreck was bought by Clive Adams, a famous panel man, who undertook a long restoration.
    It was then raced by his son Ian Adams. His religious beliefs meant he could not practice on Saturdays so he always started from the rear of grid for Sunday’s races. It was a spectacular sight at Oran Park to see him pass so many cars before the first corner.
    During this time the car was upgraded with a FVA engine replacing the twin cam, a FT200 gearbox, wider tyres and wider guards to cover these tyres.
    The car was not used during 1974, 75 and 76. It was bought by Greg McCombie at the end of 1976.
    He had previously raced a Formula Vee so this was a big step up.
    His first race was March 1977 at Amaroo. Unfortunately jammed throttle slides resulted in a major accident and very bent car. It was repaired by Bob Britton of Rennmax fame.
    At his next Amaroo meeting in May oil on the track resulted in hitting the bank head on.
    So not a lot of luck. He came good at the May meeting finishing both races.
    At the August meeting he was up against the McLaren Gardos of Barry Singleton, described in the programme as a “Can Am McLaren”. Amaroo was a great leveller and Singleton and McCombie had a tremendous dice, despite 5000cc against 1600cc. On the last lap McCombie tried to overtake on the inside at Rothmans. In covering, Singleton forced the Lotus over the ripple strips, which ripped out its radiator hoses which put it out.
    Geoghegan recalled in later years that this Lotus was one of his favourite cars.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote " Demuth’s first race was at Warwick Farm Tasman meeting. He was embarrassed by Geoghegan being all over him in the much older and smaller Lotus Climax 1100 that Geoghegan had taken as a trade in from Demuth."

It was a Lola 1100 not Lotus and it came to Tasmania still painted Yellow .
    I put a pic of it in a previous post when in Tas.
    It also ran at Longford in 1968 and was lapped by Amon in the P4

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    Quote " Demuth’s first race was at Warwick Farm Tasman meeting. He was embarrassed by Geoghegan being all over him in the much older and smaller Lotus Climax 1100 that Geoghegan had taken as a trade in from Demuth."

It was a Lola 1100 not Lotus and it came to Tasmania still painted Yellow .
    I put a pic of it in a previous post when in Tas.
    It also ran at Longford in 1968 and was lapped by Amon in the P4
    Yes, of course it was a Lola. A slip of the fingers. I had correctly identified it as a Lola on another thread.
    As to colour, it was Geoghegans who painted it yellow from previous red.

As to the Lotus 23B, I have misplaced later info on this. It was owned by Fred Vogel for a time. It had had a few more shunts so he
    replaced the chassis, while the previous chassis was destroyed under CAMS supervision. This poor car really had "more hits than Elvis".

Semi-Pro Racer
    [QUOTE=Terry S;32808]Yes, of course it was a Lola. A slip of the fingers. I had correctly identified it as a Lola on another thread.

Terry....and put bigger width rims on it from memory
    This pic is Symmons Plains Tas

Last edited by Ellis; 08-25-2013 at 12:16 AM.

Great to see this thread brought back to the front with new updates. Fantastic photos Geoff. I love seeing race cars in the later stages of their careers. Its always fascinating to see the upgrades made to keep them competitive.

Journeyman Racer
    Another image from Amaroo Park, 1977. Peter Hopwood in his Lotus Elan. He was a spectacular car on the track, in a very nimble car and gave larger capacity cars a run for their money.

Name:  AP140877PHopw.jpg
Views: 1659
Size:  50.8 KB

Journeyman Racer
    Another Group A car from the past - the Wright Renault driven by Doug Clark - Amaroo Park 1977.

Name:  AP77DClark1w.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  91.3 KB

Name:  AP77DClark2w.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  73.1 KB

Name:  AP77DClark3w.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  66.1 KB

Name:  AP77DClark4w.jpg
Views: 1762
Size:  83.5 KB

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GFR View Post
    Another image from Amaroo Park, 1977. Peter Hopwood in his Lotus Elan. He was a spectacular car on the track, in a very nimble car and gave larger capacity cars a run for their money.

Name:  AP140877PHopw.jpg
Views: 1659
Size:  50.8 KB
    I vividly remember Peter's dice with Allan Moffatt [Porsche] at Amaroo. It was a real 'David & Goliath' affair, with the Elan snapping at the Porsche's heels, lap after lap. It was one of the best races I have seen.

When he finally got around the Porsche, the crowd went wild.....but then the throttle cable on the Elan broke!

More fantastic photos! Thanks Geoff. Amaroo just seemed to create great racing. A real shame its gone. The tracks with true character seem to be dying off.

[QUOTE=Ellis;32811]
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    Yes, of course it was a Lola. A slip of the fingers. I had correctly identified it as a Lola on another thread.

Terry....and put bigger width rims on it from memory
    This pic is Symmons Plains Tas

I think it looked better with the original rear body style, although that meant smaller wheels

Manx Alfa

Hi Gents,
    The car was built by Ted Proctor and ran first with a normally aspirated 1750cc Alfa engine, and was later turbo charged.
    Love the photo, I own the car now and have been restoring it, this is the first time I've seen the air scoop.
    Keep the great photos going "brings back lots of memories".
    Regards
    Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by GFR View Post
    Paul McCurdy was driving a car called the Manx Alfa at Amaroo Park on 29th May 1977. I don't have any technical detail about the Manx Alfa nor of its history. If you look closely you will see that it is under tow back to the pits. Hopefully it was an easy fix!

Name:  AP290577PMcCurdyw.jpg
Views: 1795
Size:  87.2 KB

Journeyman Racer
    Thanks to all who been viewing this thread and those who have contacted me regarding images of their respective cars, it is pleasing to know that my photos have been of use after all this time.

Here is a previously unpublished image I took of Phil Brock in his Torana at Oran Park circa 1979. Gary Cooke and Peter Janson in the background. Enjoy!

Name:  M00034w.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  43.1 KB