Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1:1 Scale Model - Maserati 250F

1:1 Scale Model - Maserati 250F

I've not been on here much lately, as I've been charging around the countryside visiting people for a book I'm working on about motorbikes. But the manuscript is now done, and I can get back to some normality again.

Name:  IMG_7183s.jpg
Views: 2492
Size:  163.1 KB

One of the people featured in the bikes book is my good buddy Brett Harman. Brett is a clever guy, and about the most creative person I know. He used to work in the film industry making props for tv ad's etc. Now he makes various artistic sculptures, etc, which he sells. He made his own house, starting with a half-round barn, building a second floor within it, and creating the end walls from straw bales. Its awesome! It was featured a few years ago on the tv series My House My Castle, and won House Of The Year on that program.

He is a petrolhead, and has been riding motorbikes since he was a kid. His motorbike collection is made up of several Moto Guzzi's, including the 1972 classic race bike pictured here which he is restoring. He also owns and is restoring a Steve Roberts Suzuki TR250 that was raced by Geoff Perry in the early '70s.

A few months back Brett decided he wanted to make a large scale model Spitfire aeroplane. He created the framework from steel rod, shaping each piece until it was right, then welding each piece together, before then covering it in tin sheet. He then painted it to make it look weathered.

Name:  spit2.jpg
Views: 2867
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  spit1.jpg
Views: 2357
Size:  44.1 KB

I never saw the Spitfire, he sold it not long after he'd finished making it. These are pics he took of it. The 44 gallon drum propping it up gives an idea of its size.

Anyway, his latest project is a 1:1 scale model of a Maserati 250F. He has always loved these cars, and would one day like to build a fully functioning replica, but for now he has set himself the task of building a 1:1 scale model. So essentially it won't be a functioning vehicle, it won't have an engine, but it will have steering, so it is relatively easy to maneuver. It'll be a display piece. He doesn't want to call it a replica, because he doesn't want people telling him the curve in the rear quarter should be 'such and such' more angle, etc. Its being done pretty much based off pictures of real cars, plus some info on dimensions that he has been able to gather. But essentially its all about feel and 'looking right'.

Brett doesn't muck about when he does these projects. I visited him about a week ago, and all he had were some chalk drawings on the floor which were blown-up versions of sketches he'd made on some A4 paper.

Name:  IMG_7165s.jpg
Views: 2090
Size:  140.8 KB

Name:  IMG_7164s.jpg
Views: 2025
Size:  162.1 KB

This is Brett's work table. I don't know where he finds this stuff!

Name:  IMG_7177s.jpg
Views: 2064
Size:  167.5 KB

This is some sort of pedal car he started working on and that hangs from his ceiling. Its beautiful, don't you think?

Name:  IMG_7155s.jpg
Views: 1999
Size:  144.7 KB

Anyway, I dropped by to see him today, and was amazed to see how much progress he has made in a week. He has shaped and welded together pretty much all the skeleton for the body. He likes to use junk pieces to make up a lot of the components. He was worried about it not being rigid enough when being moved, so has run a large metal pole down the middle to help give some rigidity.

Name:  IMG_7420s.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  173.8 KB

Originally he wasn't going to have steering, the front wheels were going to be set straight ahead, but after he started piecing together the skeleton, he realised it was going to be quite heavy when finished and difficult to move and position, so got this steering set-up from an old quad-bike.

Name:  IMG_7422s.jpg
Views: 2021
Size:  173.6 KB

I love all the shapes and curves in the tail.

Name:  IMG_7423s.jpg
Views: 2528
Size:  130.6 KB

I couldn't get a clean shot of the whole car in the frame. But this shot shows really well the overall shape of the car. I will be swinging by again on Monday to check on progress.

Name:  IMG_7424s.jpg
Views: 1908
Size:  174.8 KB

By the way, the finished product will have a weathered, slightly beaten look to it, as if the car finished its last race and was then pushed into a barn where it sat for the next 50 years.

World Champion
    Awesome Steve - That wire frame is pure sculpture, I'd have it in my front yard just like that. How about patina-ing it up like the Tec Mec ?..

I am in awe of people with metal working skills, as alas, going to a brand new grammar school, at age of 11, the metalwork shop wasn't ready, so I never did get any basic metalwork taught - and Dad was a photographer with no car or garage!

Keep us up to date with this project Steve. It looks brilliant.

Well I stopped by to see Brett today to check on progress, and he has really been busy! All the skeleton work is now done, which has come a long way since I last visited three days ago. There is now a lot more structure, more bracing, grill opening, and interior skeleton, along with a functioning steering column. Brett had just finished coating it in a rust protective spray, and will begin working on shaping and fitting the outer body skin. By the time I see it next, it should have at least half the skin in place.

Name:  IMG_7439s.jpg
Views: 1863
Size:  159.7 KB

Name:  IMG_7442s.jpg
Views: 1897
Size:  169.4 KB

OK, so I went rough to Brett's place late last week, Thursday from memory, to check progress, and he'd done most of the tin work on the belly, and was working his way up the sides.

Name:  IMG_7458s.jpg
Views: 1831
Size:  146.5 KB

Then I called in again today, to find a good portion of the body was now skinned. Its awesome to see this thing come to life.

Name:  IMG_7465s.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  118.5 KB

I had a really busy week last week, and hadn't visited Brett for about 9 days, so was keen to swing by and see how he was progressing with the Maserati. I pulled up and was greeted by this!

Name:  IMG_7496s trs.jpg
Views: 1782
Size:  161.1 KB

Name:  IMG_7492s trs.jpg
Views: 2181
Size:  157.9 KB

Name:  IMG_7493s trs.jpg
Views: 1730
Size:  156.8 KB

What do you guys all think?

Name:  IMG_7503s.jpg
Views: 1607
Size:  118.0 KB

Name:  IMG_7504s trs.jpg
Views: 1674
Size:  135.2 KB

Name:  IMG_7494s trs.jpg
Views: 1701
Size:  138.9 KB

It's really cool Steve.....I would like it in my back yard but I have enough "red" things in the shed.

What a talent! That is very, very cool.

That looks magic, brings back memories of the one we had here.

Semi-Pro Racer
    He's quick, isn't he. Very neat.
    That little Bedford K is neat as well.

Went to check on progress today, and found this parked out in Brett's driveway! Amazing! He even made all the spokes for the wheels himself. There are still a few things to do, but its near-as-dammit finished.

Name:  IMG_7507.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  182.4 KB

Name:  IMG_7515s.jpg
Views: 1624
Size:  147.4 KB