Thread: Club Events - Hillclimbs, Sprints, Club Circuit, Grass Track, Trials, Rallycross, etc

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great images - seeing the Nylex Vinyl top cars brought back some memories. Not only of a terrific team but the fashion crime that was the vinyl roof

Photos from Tectyl Rallysprint 1979

Name:  RPD-DatsunTectyl-Sprint-197.jpg
Views: 1814
Size:  141.6 KB

I think there may have been a bit of time sitting around waiting for the TV people to get organised so I had time to photograph a few of the competitors.......

Name:  Woolfe-Whittaker-Tectyl-Spr.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  108.4 KB

Name:  Warren-Hull-Tectyl-Sprint-1.jpg
Views: 1674
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  Alan-Carter-Tectyl-Sprint-1.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  Blair-Robson-Tectyl-Sprint-1979.jpg
Views: 1784
Size:  120.3 KB

Name:  Collier-Tectyl-Sprint-1979.jpg
Views: 1607
Size:  88.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BMCBOY View Post
    Name:  RPD-DatsunTectyl-Sprint-197.jpg
Views: 1814
Size:  141.6 KB

I think there may have been a bit of time sitting around waiting for the TV people to get organised so I had time to photograph a few of the competitors.......

Name:  Woolfe-Whittaker-Tectyl-Spr.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  108.4 KB

Name:  Warren-Hull-Tectyl-Sprint-1.jpg
Views: 1674
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  Alan-Carter-Tectyl-Sprint-1.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  Blair-Robson-Tectyl-Sprint-1979.jpg
Views: 1784
Size:  120.3 KB

Name:  Collier-Tectyl-Sprint-1979.jpg
Views: 1607
Size:  88.4 KB
    Bringing this to the fore, John Woolf, was of course Allan and Colleen Woolf son, their daughter married Paul Adams, and used to navigate in Rallies and Trials, the Woolf's were my neighbours in the late 50's early 60's in Seabrook Avenue, New Lynn, Allan had modified Ford 8, immediate pre-war - pre the Prefect era, which I thought as 10-12 year old was amazing, when we had a 1951 Prefect and another neighbour had a Ford Popular, the one that Ford kept selling as their budget car still with a sidevalve, even when the 105E Anglia came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Bringing this to the fore, John Woolf, was of course Allan and Colleen Woolf son, their daughter married Paul Adams, and used to navigate in Rallies and Trials, the Woolf's were my neighbours in the late 50's early 60's in Seabrook Avenue, New Lynn, Allan had modified Ford 8, immediate pre-war - pre the Prefect era, which I thought as 10-12 year old was amazing, when we had a 1951 Prefect and another neighbour had a Ford Popular, the one that Ford kept selling as their budget car still with a sidevalve, even when the 105E Anglia came out.
    I recall an hilarious incident involving Allan Woolf and his Y model Ford at a Northern Sports Car Club Hillclimb.

At the time a US warship was visiting Auckland and there was a request for the crew to be taken to local events. A committee member obliged and brought two US navy guys to watch the hill climb. Waiting my turn to compete I was close to them as they checked out the starting line up.

“Hey looky here, a miniature 1934 Ford V8.” There was a shower of gravel as Allan took off with much wheelspin. Porkpie cap thrown on ground and jumped on. “Well goddamn!”

Most people presumed that the car had been fitted with a Ford Ten engine, but Allan told me quite recently that in fact it retained the original eight HP unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    I recall an hilarious incident involving Allan Woolf and his Y model Ford at a Northern Sports Car Club Hillclimb.

At the time a US warship was visiting Auckland and there was a request for the crew to be taken to local events. A committee member obliged and brought two US navy guys to watch the hill climb. Waiting my turn to compete I was close to them as they checked out the starting line up.

“Hey looky here, a miniature 1934 Ford V8.” There was a shower of gravel as Allan took off with much wheelspin. Porkpie cap thrown on ground and jumped on. “Well goddamn!”

Most people presumed that the car had been fitted with a Ford Ten engine, but Allan told me quite recently that in fact it retained the original eight HP unit.
    Trevor, I knew you would know something and yes, they did look like a miniature '34 V8 ", If see you Allan again soon, remember me to him, the young fellow from up the road, and also the guy in the 70's who tried to get ANZ Bank to help sponsor his 3 litre Capri in the Heatway Rally .. the year he slipped off the road and down a bank and TV was right there. imagine to advertising for that.
    He ran Woolf Mufflers on the other side of Newton Gully, and I worked at ANZ Newton [ K'Road ] at the time 68-73, and again in 78-79.
    small world..
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 10-06-2015 at 11:10 AM. Reason: error ###47 again

Quote Originally Posted by Shoreboy57 View Post
    Great images - seeing the Nylex Vinyl top cars brought back some memories. Not only of a terrific team but the fashion crime that was the vinyl roof
    True, but not quite the fashion crime of the Ashley wallpaper covered cars of Kevin Smith & Jim Robb.