Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Allan Cameron Collection - Part 1

Semi-Pro Racer
    But not Moloney?

That was just the report David, not the results. It only mentioned those drivers. Thats not to say it was any more correct than the race results given in Graham Vercoe's book, which are as follows:

1. Graham McRae
    2. Graeme Lawrence
    3. Cary Taylor
    4. Baron Robertson
    5. Mike Hole
    6. Peter Maloney

Semi-Pro Racer
    Peter Moloney finished sixth...

I'm not trying to nit-pick unnecessarily, just to make clear it wasn't Peter Mahoney

Semi-Pro Racer
    My apologies for being a little careless several posts ago. If I had looked a bit more closely, I would have seen that Moloney's name was always spelled correctly in any programmes I have, and perhaps only Vercoe got it wrong. I don't have any newspaper clippings for this period, and I'm not sure Moloney's name would have appeared very often, if at all.

In my personal case I find that many people can mis-spell and mispronounce both of my names, and like Eoin Young, I have spelled out my name for people and then watched them write it down wrongly! And it was happening long before the Internet or texting!

Stu (Stuart) Buchanan

Like the spelling of Wenoopy...

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Well that's me shot then.

Never heard of him.
    Bill Smith was from Hastings, a ''motor engineer'' he liked referred to himself as. If my memory is correct he took the Brabham to Barpark but found the pace a little too hot, and offered the drive to Ken Smith, who may have had a problem with his own car.This car later became a Formula Ford, owned by Eric Anderson and a partner.Maybe somebody in NZ could ask Ken Smith for his take on it.
    Earlier Bill had raced a Cooper Norton at various Levin meetings with the formula Vees, in the company of Graham Richards also Cooper Norton mounted.Bill later installed a Vincent engine in the Cooper and this car has been in Australia for some time and owned by Derry Greeneklee. Like-wise Graham Richards Cooper Norton is here as well and forms part of the Penrite collection. Its possible both of these cars will be competing at Wakefield Park at the end of september.
    Garry Simkin

Nice one, thanks Garry. I went to pretty much every meeting at Bay Park in those days and was quite perplexed that Bill had slipped off my radar. Although nobody else has been on to update us. So is it in fact the ex-Oxton car ?
    I do recall seeing Kenny in the car, in those days the blue windscreen was a feature.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Like the spelling of Wenoopy...
    Ah.. Wenoopy, my alter ego on another motor racing forum.
    Derived from an Oz attempt at pronouncing Whenuapai, with spelling by me. I doubt that if I was confronted with Oodnadatta, Murwillumbah, or Nuriootpa, I would have produced something as melodious as Wenoopy.

Produced in the livery of a well-known NZ brand of tea.

Stu

Semi-Pro Racer
    So is it in fact the ex-Oxton car?
    No, the ex-Lawrence BT6, which then went to Laurence Brownlie and the usual string of owners before Bill Smith.
    IIRC it was converted back from FF spec and raced with a twincam in Historics by Wayne Rodgers and then Paul Higgins before going to Australia

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    My apologies for being a little careless several posts ago. If I had looked a bit more closely, I would have seen that Moloney's name was always spelled correctly in any programmes I have, and perhaps only Vercoe got it wrong. I don't have any newspaper clippings for this period, and I'm not sure Moloney's name would have appeared very often, if at all.

In my personal case I find that many people can mis-spell and mispronounce both of my names, and like Eoin Young, I have spelled out my name for people and then watched them write it down wrongly! And it was happening long before the Internet or texting!

Stu (Stuart) Buchanan
    You'd be amazed at the number of people who think my name's McKinley. Yet when I did a check of London phone-books a few years ago I found - to my surprise - that there were far more McKinneys than McKinleys or McKinlays

I knew Peter Moloney when he was racing a Mini, and once or twice stayed in his parents' motel in Auckland. He was subsequently in the same unit as me when we did our National Service in 1966. He was always Moloney

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    He was subsequently in the same unit as me when we did our National Service in 1966.
    Photo required ................pf

Semi-Pro Racer
    I am not questioning your knowledge David, but you say the Bill Smith car was a BT6. In the reprint of the Baypark programme (post#130) it is entered as a BT15.

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    Ah.. Wenoopy, my alter ego on another motor racing forum.
    Derived from an Oz attempt at pronouncing Whenuapai, with spelling by me. I doubt that if I was confronted with Oodnadatta, Murwillumbah, or Nuriootpa, I would have produced something as melodious as Wenoopy.

Produced in the livery of a well-known NZ brand of tea.

Stu
    Try this one Stu, FENUAPIE. Better be careful, the PC brigade could be onto us!!!!!

Cheers Dave

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    No, the ex-Lawrence BT6, which then went to Laurence Brownlie and the usual string of owners before Bill Smith.
    IIRC it was converted back from FF spec and raced with a twincam in Historics by Wayne Rodgers and then Paul Higgins before going to Australia
    Surprisingly, Graham Vercoe agrees with you in his "Golden Era" book : ( re March 1970 Pukekohe metting) "Bill Smith had acquired Roy Lyme's Brabham after its rebuild from the crash it suffered at Pukekohe.."

Doesn't that gladden your heart, David?

Stu
    Last edited by stubuchanan; 08-30-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: clarification

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rf84 View Post
    I am not questioning your knowledge David, but you say the Bill Smith car was a BT6. In the reprint of the Baypark programme (post#130) it is entered as a BT15.
    Everyone got Brabham BT numbers wrong back in the day

In fact I once bought a Brabham (in Hawke's Bay) that wasn't a Brabham at all...
    Last edited by David McKinney; 08-30-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    They're a dodgy lot in the 'Bay David!

Here is Graeme Lawrence in the Ferrari.

Name:  IMG_0022.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  95.1 KB

Couple more shots of the lively Hughes and Oxton battle to round out this event.

Name:  IMG_0017.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  105.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0026.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  71.8 KB

The small batch of photos that follow and round out this chapter of the Allan Cameron Collection are from the Bay Park Easter event in 1971.

First up is Peter Hughes in the Lotus, now looking less like a Gold Leaf tribute car with its bright pink nose.

Name:  IMG_0040.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  108.4 KB

Hughes again, chasing, I believe, Jim Murdoch in the Titan. Is this the car David Oxton drove the previous season?

Name:  IMG_0041.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  76.6 KB