Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kennet/Dunlop/Haig etc Mustang

Kennet/Dunlop/Haig etc Mustang

Hi
    I have been hunting for info, pictures etc, on this '67 Mustang, which I remember from my youth.
    It has been well documented overall I guess, but there is little on the period from when Kevin Haig had it thru to Bob Slade and Rob Kennard, when it raced in OSCA;
    The era I remember.
    From my understanding it went from being Boss 302 powered to having a 351W based Gurney Weslake Ford.
    The last time I personally saw the car, it was sitting in an Amberley garage, about to get an injected Big Block Chev fitted. I don't think this ever eventuated.
    Can anyone fill in any blanks?
    Cheers,
    Rodney

Semi-Pro Racer
    Rodney, one thing that has come to mind since our last email session on this car, I remember talking with Rod McElrea @ a Teretonga OSCA round & he had had a problem with the oil pump drive shaft or gear in the Boss 302 motor in the Ex Fahey/Riley/Armstrong car, Im fairly sure he told me at the time that it was the motor out of Kevins old car as it had a unique oil pump setup, When he bought the MKIV Cortina off me this engine was transplanted into it as he bought the Boss 302 headers from my motor at the same time since those in the mustang would not have fitted. When the Haig car was raced by Christie Morris the following season it was fitted with one of the 5? Boss 302's that PDL had bought in from the USA, as I pointed out to you I believe Lawrie Bruce might have actually bought that motor as a year or two later he offered me the twin dominator manifold the motor was fitted with.
    cheers
    Jac Mac

NZ Boss, I have the Mustang in this pic recorded as Dexter Dunlop, but to be honest some of my recollections are faded with age. Its January 1974, Pukekohe, being chased by Peter Sundberg.

Have I got the right car?

Thanks Jac. Good to see you on board!

Yes Shane, That is the car! That is when Kevin Haig had it.
    What else do you have?......
    Cheers,
    Rodney

NZBoss, I'll look through the image files but I think that's the only one, shame as it shows only half the car.

I have a couple of photos in some folders of Haig in car, it is red and white. maybe drop me your email and i can send them too you.
    mine grimmie64@xtra.co.nz

Thanks Rod.
    It would be appreciated. Rodney

bullyboss@hotmail.com

Has anybody got photos of this car when Dexter first ran it?

I have some of it at Baypark 71 and Pukekohe 72 ,email me homewood@ihug.co.nz if i can help

Bob the photo you have at Baypark is it with the elongated axle or standard.

Somewhere I have got that photo ,the one with the wide track rear axle ,but as it featured in the magazines I am sure it will be subject to copyright

Dale Mathers sent me this photo today, of Ian Easton in the ex-Kennett/Dunlop/Haig etc Mustang. Can anyone shed light on where this photo was taken? Easton is a North Island resident, but I thought this car remained in the South Island from the time Haig bought it off Dunlop right through until when Garry Doyle bought it in the 1980s and restored it for historic racing.

Name:  Ian Easton Mustang.JPG
Views: 1900
Size:  103.5 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Would this be the same car or another;

Yes I believe it is Tony, the pic you posted being much later in the cars career.

Is this the Shelby car now in the Bowden collection ,featured in Muscle Cars this month

Not sure about it being in a magazine, but yes, the Bowdens bought this car and the similar Shelby Mustang originally raced in NZ by Norm Barry and Red Dawson, but the Barry/Dawson car was sold back to NZ a few years ago. The car in this thread has quite a bit of Trans-Am history prior to ending up in NZ, thus making it more important internationally.

Journeyman Racer
    Just got my copy of AMC Mag and there is a great article on this car. Also an opportunity to let you know I have another hundred or so photos for Steve H to put on this great site.I am going to send or take them to Photobridge in new jersey {only 1.5 hours from where i live in Delaware] sometime soon.There is some Nissan 500 stuff from wellington and some rally action from mid 80s. will have them all put on DVD and send to Steve Holmes. also want to throw something out. In the same AMC issue and ex Dunlop mustang article it mentions that the ex Bryan/Dawson shelby is back in NZ. Is it in hiding?Havn't seen anything about it in Mags or on this site.Would love to know if it is coming out so all can see??

Steve, I'm looking forward to seeing those photos. Yes, you are correct re the Mustang. The Bowdens sold it to Nigel MacDonald in NZ. It was on display at the Chris Amon Festival last year. Its currently plain white. It'll likely get restored to its Dawson colour scheme.

This was at Hampton Festival (note the name so mummy did not know)
    Attached Images Attached Images