Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kennet/Dunlop/Haig etc Mustang

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Kennet/Dunlop/Haig etc Mustang

Hi
    I have been hunting for info, pictures etc, on this '67 Mustang, which I remember from my youth.
    It has been well documented overall I guess, but there is little on the period from when Kevin Haig had it thru to Bob Slade and Rob Kennard, when it raced in OSCA;
    The era I remember.
    From my understanding it went from being Boss 302 powered to having a 351W based Gurney Weslake Ford.
    The last time I personally saw the car, it was sitting in an Amberley garage, about to get an injected Big Block Chev fitted. I don't think this ever eventuated.
    Can anyone fill in any blanks?
    Cheers,
    Rodney

Semi-Pro Racer
    Rodney, one thing that has come to mind since our last email session on this car, I remember talking with Rod McElrea @ a Teretonga OSCA round & he had had a problem with the oil pump drive shaft or gear in the Boss 302 motor in the Ex Fahey/Riley/Armstrong car, Im fairly sure he told me at the time that it was the motor out of Kevins old car as it had a unique oil pump setup, When he bought the MKIV Cortina off me this engine was transplanted into it as he bought the Boss 302 headers from my motor at the same time since those in the mustang would not have fitted. When the Haig car was raced by Christie Morris the following season it was fitted with one of the 5? Boss 302's that PDL had bought in from the USA, as I pointed out to you I believe Lawrie Bruce might have actually bought that motor as a year or two later he offered me the twin dominator manifold the motor was fitted with.
    cheers
    Jac Mac

NZ Boss, I have the Mustang in this pic recorded as Dexter Dunlop, but to be honest some of my recollections are faded with age. Its January 1974, Pukekohe, being chased by Peter Sundberg.

Have I got the right car?

Yes Shane, That is the car! That is when Kevin Haig had it.
    What else do you have?......
    Cheers,
    Rodney

Thanks Jac. Good to see you on board!

NZBoss, I'll look through the image files but I think that's the only one, shame as it shows only half the car.

I have a couple of photos in some folders of Haig in car, it is red and white. maybe drop me your email and i can send them too you.
    mine grimmie64@xtra.co.nz

Thanks Rod.
    It would be appreciated. Rodney

bullyboss@hotmail.com

Has anybody got photos of this car when Dexter first ran it?

I have some of it at Baypark 71 and Pukekohe 72 ,email me homewood@ihug.co.nz if i can help

Bob the photo you have at Baypark is it with the elongated axle or standard.

Somewhere I have got that photo ,the one with the wide track rear axle ,but as it featured in the magazines I am sure it will be subject to copyright

Dale Mathers sent me this photo today, of Ian Easton in the ex-Kennett/Dunlop/Haig etc Mustang. Can anyone shed light on where this photo was taken? Easton is a North Island resident, but I thought this car remained in the South Island from the time Haig bought it off Dunlop right through until when Garry Doyle bought it in the 1980s and restored it for historic racing.

Name:  Ian Easton Mustang.JPG
Views: 1902
Size:  103.5 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Would this be the same car or another;

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    Would this be the same car or another;
    1982 NZGP meet

Weekend Warrior
    Australia/Melbourne/ex pat Kiwi/Halswell/Christchurch
    Yes I believe it is. This is when Rob Kennard owned and raced it in this picture. It was Kennards first race car to gain experience in osca saloons. Bob Slade raced and owned it before him. He is now living in USA building race engines. Kennard then probably stripped the Mustang of its engine and possibly gearbox. The engine had gurney Westlake heads on it and probably fuel injection. Rob Kennard then built his Cortina putting the motor out of the Mustang in it. I hope some one can shed some light on this and confirm. Cheers ex pat kiwi, Alistair (Christchurch)

Quote Originally Posted by camaroman slp View Post
    Yes I believe it is. This is when Rob Kennard owned and raced it in this picture. It was Kennards first race car to gain experience in osca saloons. Bob Slade raced and owned it before him. He is now living in USA building race engines. Kennard then probably stripped the Mustang of its engine and possibly gearbox. The engine had gurney Westlake heads on it and probably fuel injection. Rob Kennard then built his Cortina putting the motor out of the Mustang in it. I hope some one can shed some light on this and confirm. Cheers ex pat kiwi, Alistair (Christchurch)
    The original engine in Rob Kennard's Cortina was a 366 cu in Ford Cleveland with the GW heads. This was later replaced by a 347 cu in Ford SVO Windsor block (low deck 302 block with 3.4" crank) engine which had serious horsepower despite giving away cubic capacity to other competitors.

AFAIK, Rob never used fuel injection, induction was 4 x 48IDA Weber's on the Cleveland and at different times both a 4bbl Holley and the IDA's on the SVO motor.
    Last edited by bigbanger; 02-09-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Yes I believe it is Tony, the pic you posted being much later in the cars career.

Is this the Shelby car now in the Bowden collection ,featured in Muscle Cars this month

Not sure about it being in a magazine, but yes, the Bowdens bought this car and the similar Shelby Mustang originally raced in NZ by Norm Barry and Red Dawson, but the Barry/Dawson car was sold back to NZ a few years ago. The car in this thread has quite a bit of Trans-Am history prior to ending up in NZ, thus making it more important internationally.