Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kennet/Dunlop/Haig etc Mustang

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by camaroman slp View Post
    Amazing rebuild im a great fan of this car being an early Osca entry. It has so much history in the south island we would love to see some photos when it was owned by PDL car sales man (Christie Morris) I think it looked its best in Bright Red painted by a clever christchurch craftsman spray painter (Wazza) who also painted the mustang white with blue stripes for Bob Slade.I am sure some people must have photos of it being bright red ????????????????????????
    I have a b&w pic here of the mustang ( I think ) taken at the end of main straight/Ruapuna old circuit, car has #7 & Chilli Bags signage, I thought it should be Christie Morris, but title on pic has driver named as Brent Hamilton. Photo has Frank Ryan, Dave Waldron , Kevin Ryan & myself, IIRC Christie had sold the car just before end of that season, pic was taken by Don Elvy ChCh. Mustang has cowl entry scoop & front airdam as per Slade/Kennard pics, but with what should be the Red paintwork I remember from that season.

Always great to see new pics from that period.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I'm pretty sure the first time I saw this car, I was biking to high school (1978?) and it was sitting on a trailer in Bob's driveway (Horseshoe Lake Rd in Shirley). Remember it being white. A few years later when I was a time keeper at Wigram, I took a photo of it (with the blue stripes) on the starting grid. Must pull finger and dig out the photo(s).

The Cortina is in south and in company of other well known cars from yeaster year. Hope to spend some time down with owner and check his fridge and collection at some time soon.

Weekend Warrior
    Australia/Melbourne/ex pat Kiwi/Halswell/Christchurch
    Great to see the the souths fastest tin top car at the time in the hands of KB Hot bread shops Founder Kim Buckley.It was so hard for Kim to take up the running of the ex Kennard Cortina as he had so many problems with the car including the osca rule changes from fuel injection to 4 barrel he also had fuel surge problems with the car.Rob Kennard went to the USA leaving the car in a mystery place eventually being put up for sale but with no Rob Kennard for tuitoring and hands on guidance for its future with Kim Buckley.I have heard Steve Ross has bought it from Kim, although i thought Kim would have always kept it for historic Racing.Steve Ross being the new owner will hopefully put it back out on the track real soon.Kim Buckley needs top marks for his hard road to Osca racing, spending lots of money and time to keep the Cortina out there with much help from friends and helpers to keep it racing consistently

We would love to see some photos of the Cortina when Kim Buckley owned and raced the car. ??????????
    Last edited by camaroman slp; 04-02-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: mistake

Weekend Warrior
    RED Mustang photos wanted while driven and owned by Christie Morris when he worked for PDL motors who also sponsored it before it went to Bob Slades ownership and it was painted white with blue stripes

I saw this car a couple of months back, in the basement of Steve Ross, still painted in KB Bakery colours as it last raced.
    Steve and a mate of his are working on this car now so it won't be too far away?

Weekend Warrior
    Steve Ross can you put up some pictures of car or work in progress as the Cortina was the fastest tin top in the country.

Great to see you own it.

I thought Kim would have kept it due historic racing on the increase.

When will it make it debut ?

Hope to see it racing at

Weekend Warrior
    Can any one else put some photos of Kims,KBs hot bread shop Cortina.

Weekend Warrior
    Can we see some photos of the purchase and rebuild of the Kevin Haig -- Bob Slade -- Rob Kennard Mustang by the Bowdens Australia. This car has a fantastic colourful history.
    Last edited by camaroman slp; 12-22-2014 at 08:24 AM.