Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Build Thread: HMC Plymouth Cuda

Fantastic offer George. That's what makes historic motorsport so enjoyable for all.

Can't wait to see this car take to the track! What's the intended 1st race meeting?

There was mention it may not be competitive due to front end weight etc. As a fan that's just fine. Smoking the rear bags to correct some understeer is what we all want to see anyway. It will certainly have some attitude with the Hemi and fat feet.

Now who's up to build a lime green challenger to complete the set??

Cheers
    Kyle

Kyle, agreed! Winning races isn't what this car is about. Its about entertainment, both for the driver and the punters. Its hoped the car will be ready to race at the new Cromwell track in late January. I believe Andrew Sinclair (Keith's son) will race it at this event, which is a non-Historic Muscle Cars event. Keith will race it in HMC events.

Latest update, with the Cuda having undergone its sheet metal work, with rust removal and fitment of new replacement rear quarters and front guards (fenders). This is from Bic, at Sonic: "Moselle’s (Moselle Panel And Paint) did a few small rust repairs to existing panels and repaired the Left-hand sill where it had seen some earlier 'action'. The next steps are: fit the engine and transmission, and mod the tunnel as required for the shifter and servicing there-of, gas and oil tank mounts, the battery and fuel system stuff in the boot, seat mounts/belt anchorages and get the cage started".

Name:  DSCF2887.jpg
Views: 1813
Size:  161.0 KB

Name:  DSCF2888.jpg
Views: 1796
Size:  138.4 KB

Name:  DSCF2890.jpg
Views: 1774
Size:  157.2 KB

The car is already built but for Central Muscle cars and is sitting in John Windelburns (poppa smurf) workshop getting finished off. It has been sitting there for two years though. Certainly looks good.Here are some photos of the real car at a vitage race meet I went to at Sears point in May this year.Name:  P1130603.JPG
Views: 1728
Size:  169.7 KBName:  P1130595.JPG
Views: 1720
Size:  164.4 KBName:  P1130596.JPG
Views: 1638
Size:  172.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by STG69 View Post
    Can't wait to see this car take to the track! What's the intended 1st race meeting?

There was mention it may not be competitive due to front end weight etc. As a fan that's just fine. Smoking the rear bags to correct some understeer is what we all want to see anyway. It will certainly have some attitude with the Hemi and fat feet.

Now who's up to build a lime green challenger to complete the set??

Cheers
    Kyle

Hey George,

Thanks for the info. I figured someone must have built a tribute car. Just a pity it's not racing. Would be great to see it in with the Cuda running HMC. More importantly though just racing!
    I've followed your thread on the new class. Fantastic to see! I hope the guys with some of the cars you'd like to see on the grid find the same level of motivation you have. Well done!

Cheers
    Kyle

Do you think we might be able to twist his arm to get it finished sooner rather than later. That car would be a great addition to any V8 field in NZ.

I saw this a few months ago, probably still looks the same as when George saw it . I dont think arm twisting will get it there.
    When the owner is ready...........

Like George said, the NZ Challenger was being built for Central Muscle Cars, not Historic Muscle Cars. Its owner bought the '65 Mustang off Richard Gatward a few years ago and has been racing that from time to time. Unless the build has had a change of direction in recent years, it won't fit HMC regs, as it has 17" wheels, big brakes, and a Nascar motor.

I believe though there is one being built in Queensland for the Australian Trans-Am series. Hopefully that'll be an Autodynamics tribute car.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Like George said, the NZ Challenger was being built for Central Muscle Cars, not Historic Muscle Cars. Its owner bought the '65 Mustang off Richard Gatward a few years ago and has been racing that from time to time. Unless the build has had a change of direction in recent years, it won't fit HMC regs, as it has 17" wheels, big brakes, and a Nascar motor.

I believe though there is one being built in Queensland for the Australian Trans-Am series. Hopefully that'll be an Autodynamics tribute car.
    There`s actually two being built in Queensland Steve, one on either side of the fence!

Thanks Steve, will either be Autodynamics replicas?

Without giving too much away Steve, I believe so.....

Thanks Steve, that is awesome! Autodynamics actually ran two Challengers in the 1970 Trans-Am, late in the season when Chrysler were beginning to put the pressure on them to win a race in order to keep the funding going for 1971. So technically, both the ATA Challengers could be Autodynamics replicas.

Couple more update photos. She's really starting to take shape now!

Info from Bic: "I can start some serious construction now, motor and gearbox mounted, Dana 60 width defined and under construction, floor to shifter clearance etc".

Name:  DSCF2935.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  120.2 KB

Name:  DSCF2936.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  129.1 KB

Great to see this build on the website.

Is the car still on track for its debut later this year ?

Some neat before and after pics of the fabrication work Bic has done on the rear transmission and diff tunnel to clear the monstrous Dana 60 diff. He has done a great job of making it look factory. You need to study the before and after pics to pick it up, otherwise you'd probably never know.

Before:

Name:  DSCF2550.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  139.4 KB

After:

Name:  DSCF2999.jpg
Views: 1451
Size:  148.7 KB

Name:  DSCF2998.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  160.0 KB

OK, lots of good stuff happening here, Bic has been busy as you can see. Rollcage has been constructed, drivers seat fitment all done, battery box and dry-sump tank fitment all done. Looking good!

Name:  DSCF3020.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  146.8 KB

Name:  DSCF2957.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  131.2 KB

Name:  DSCF2977.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  151.9 KB

Name:  DSCF3019.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  149.8 KB

I went to do an inspection on it Sunday and got locked out!! security gates an all, LOL

Heard that the Warkworth boat builders had been around and that Automated foils have been fitted so I have a couple of drones flying over head, watch this space for more to come!!!

Dale M(LOL, LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    I went to do an inspection on it Sunday and got locked out!! security gates an all, LOL

Heard that the Warkworth boat builders had been around and that Automated foils have been fitted so I have a couple of drones flying over head, watch this space for more to come!!!

Dale M(LOL, LOL)

Dale, a chilly bin is a good starter with those boys, they weaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Dale, a chilly bin is a good starter with those boys, they weaken.
    Must remember that when it comes to race day Rod!! i got the feeling you know them WELL!!!!

Dale M