On the Cambridge Monaro thread a question was asked about the Ranch Wagon Fire Tender rather than divert that thread I thought it best to start a new one with what litlle I know about some of that history. My apologies if I get any facts or names wrong or not included.

The Doghouse Club was originally formed in England by Betty Hill, wife of racing legend Graham Hill and the wives of other drivers to raise funds to purchase safety and first aid equipment for the racing drivers. A branch of the club was formed in Australia by driver’s wives who named it the Downunder Doghouse Club. After a few visits to Australian race meetings it was decided to form the same in New Zealand and the Dogbox Club was born in 1969.

A committee was formed with President Jeanette Phillips and Secretary Kath Fahey. Regular members included Margaret Boyle, Colleen Davie, Nita Dawson, Hazel Jensen, June Lawrence, Shirley Marwood, Heather McLean, Judy Palmer, Lyn Pearce, Cheryl Pelham, Lyn Riley, Mary Sharpe, Joan Whittaker, Colleen Woolfe and others. Patrons included Mae Smith and Ruth McLaren. Among the Clubs’ supporters were business people, the Auckland Car Club, the Northern Sports Car Club, the N.Z.I.G.P and the Northern region of the Racing Drivers Club.

Different fundraising activities were undertaken by the club including a harbour cruise, fashion parades, raffles, car trials even a ballet performed by a few drivers not looking quite as racey in tutus as they did in overalls. Race days had sausage sizzles after every meeting and soup kitchens at the long distance races. The children used the trolley pictured to collect mountains of empty glass bottles which were cashed up and added to the fund.

Name:  DB Rosette.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  121.6 KBName:  Dog Box 1a.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  176.8 KBName:  DB Trolley.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  162.8 KB