Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: THE RICHARDS/SHEWEIRY BOSS 302 MUSTANG restoration (Sidchrome mustang)

Semi-Pro Racer
    George ...
    You need to get out more....do a few touristy things.
    The Siddy's first race in Australia was at Baskerville
    You need to bring it back to celebrate the 50th year of the Mustang at the Historics at Baskerville in Oct 2014

It sure does still exist.
    Its not in Australia...its in Tasmania...lol... down near Hobart.

Baskerville

This pic was its first meeting in Oz at Baskerville...Gearbox let go and they swapped one out of an XWGT to finnish the meeting.
    The same bloke still owns the XWGT which he has had since new.

Richards Moffat Halliday Baskerville Sports Sedan 10000 1975
    Bruce Smart pic

Ellis
    Last edited by Ellis; 11-19-2013 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Add pic, edit text

Hey there Ellis thanks for the shot of the Track, now I can put it all together from those other shots. I love the lay out, you boys in Tassie are onto it! Man I would be over there boots and all, it would be great to have a run with some of the cars it used to compete with, but I'm just a one man band sparky and I haven't one lotto yet! Maybe I should see Sidchrome Australia and see if they could get me over there and back. lol crickey better go and check the mailbox ha ha. Cheers, George.

George, have sent you a PM
    Cheers Dave

The other week I had a very knowledgeable visitor come for a look at my toys. He was a wealth of information and took an immediate shine to the Sidchrome in fact he hopped in and spent most of his time here happily sitting in the seat. Does anyone recognize him?

Name:  X.jpg
Views: 2772
Size:  75.2 KB

Name:  y.jpg
Views: 2647
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  z.jpg
Views: 2579
Size:  75.4 KB

Weekend Warrior
    David Vizard? He is a clever fella.

David Vizard,legendary Mini tuner,I still have his book,very dog earred now. What was he doing in NZ ?

Yes Ross,he was over here for a performance seminar arranged by Graeme Dobbie who has had a lot to do with him with several race Teams. He was here once before doing the same thing. It was great timing as I had only just bought his latest book on head porting which he kindly autographed for me. Reminds me of a similar situation in 1987 on my first trip to the states. I had just bought a book that had a lot about AAR in it. I was going to go down to Santa Anna to AAR to see Dan Gurney about a set of Gurney Weslake heads as Lying Lyall Williamson had told me he still had sets there for $1200.00 complete. Incidently I had just been to the Pomona swap meet where I had seen a set for sale for $500 but i thought by the time I went thru them they would probably get close to the price of a new set. Dan still had plenty of sets left (including 1 of the 3 valve sets and a complete V12) but they were $3600 a set!!! To get from the front office to the workshop we had to walk thru a 16 ft long corridor that was lined with photos of all the cars Dan had run, boy that was impressive, he has raced everything you can think of. He is a really nice guy and kindly autographed my new book for me, he was interested in what cars I was running and what the racing scene was like in NZ as he had been here in the 60s I think in fact I have the feeling he ran in the NZIGP one year. He seemed to know Ronnie Butler quite well, a Kiwi who worked for Shelby the same time as Johnny Olsen and who I later visited with Murray Bunn up at his place in Santa Barbara. Ron at that time still had the Indy Turbine car lurking in the corner of his workshop Butler racing that his son and daughter had pretty much taken over the running of.
    Last edited by George Sheweiry; 06-08-2015 at 11:40 PM.

Thanks for the reply George,very interesting,yes seem to remember Gurney out here,someone will know either way. Ross

Gurney was in NZ driving the BRM P48 at Ardmore in 1961
    http://www.sergent.com.au/motor/1961.html

Quote Originally Posted by George Sheweiry View Post
    Yes Ross,he was over here for a performance seminar arranged by Graeme Dobbie who has had a lot to do with him with several race Teams. He was here once before doing the same thing. It was great timing as I had only just bought his latest book on head porting which he kindly autographed for me. Reminds me of a similar situation in 1987 on my first trip to the states. I had just bought a book that had a lot about AAR in it. I was going to go down to Santa Anna to AAR to see Dan Gurney about a set of Gurney Weslake heads as Lying Lyall Williamson had told me he still had sets there for $1200.00 complete. Incidently I had just been to the Pomona swap meet where I had seen a set for sale for $500 but i thought by the time I went thru them they would probably get close to the price of a new set. Dan still had plenty of sets left (including 1 of the 3 valve sets and a complete V12) but they were $3600 a set!!! To get from the front office to the workshop we had to walk thru a 16 ft long corridor that was lined with photos of all the cars Dan had run, boy that was impressive, he has raced everything you can think of. He is a really nice guy and kindly autographed my new book for me, he was interested in what cars I was running and what the racing scene was like in NZ as he had been here in the 60s I think in fact I have the feeling he ran in the NZIGP one year. He seemed to know Ronnie Butler quite well, a Kiwi who worked for Shelby the same time as Johnny Olsen and who I later visited with Murray Bunn up at his place in Santa Barbara. Ron at that time still had the Indy Turbine car lurking in the corner of his workshop Butler racing that his son and daughter had pretty much taken over the running of.
    If youre a kiwi you get the red carpet treatment at Dan Gurneys!! awesum guy as you say George and you should have bought those heads at $3600, I paid ALOT more .

Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Well , polished vinyl floor and fancy overhead lighting, it was more workshoppeeee when I was there Dale and your right, when i walked in to the office that day in May 87 I said to the older lady at the desk hello I was wondering if I could speak to Dan Gurney Please where she Promptly replied I am sorry he is very busy would you like to leave a message. So when I said blaa blaa blaa here from New Zealand she said one moment please, made a quick ph call and 2 minutes later Dan walked thru the door and a quick conversation about NZ ensued. Gotta give you credit on your photo taking Dale, I recall having my new motor drive camera when I went there but as usual got caught up about other things and didnt take any photos. Here are some of the photos I did manage to take on that trip. The first is of myself and friends Dave Hunter and Tony (camper) who I stayed with in their house (plus 3 other resident Kiwis) down in Riverside. We were off to the last ever race at Riverside International Raceway. next is of the winning Jaguar in the Imsa prototype race. Last is of the day I was leaving. I got a container dropped off to their house so I could load the 3 cars I had bought and a heap of parts tools and other goodys not realizing that they didnt have swing lifts and it arrived on a trailer!!! so it was a quick trip to national lumber and back to make a ramp set up where we used come alongs to pull the cars up into the container and also make a ramp inside for my Boss 302 to go up over the hood of my 66 FB then a mach 1 to sell back home to help fund the trip.

Name:  US87.jpg
Views: 2184
Size:  121.3 KB

I dont know if I have posted this previously but while finding those photos of my 87 trip I found this one of the siddy at Baypark with the first camper/transporter that I built from scratch. We would camp at the track for the weekend which helped keep the costs down. This would have been about 1978.

ATTACH=CONFIG]29471[/ATTACH]

Crikey, found some more old faded photos of the old girl at my parents place in Hillsborough, must have been only 6 or 7 months after I bought it. Its sitting on an old wakka of a trailor I bought off the NZ Herald for $200.00. I had to cut off the rear support that came from the top of the guard down to the end of the trailor to be able to get the rear wheels of the Mustang on.

(TACH=CONFIG]29581[/ATTACH]

Name:  Sid home2.jpg
Views: 2059
Size:  81.6 KB

Great photos George - always was a great looking car and certainly has some history. How long have you owned the car now ?

Crikey, found some more old faded photos of the old girl at my parents place in Hillsborough, must have been only 6 or 7 months after I bought it. Its sitting on an old wakka of a trailor I bought off the NZ Herald for $200.00. I had to cut off the rear support that came from the top of the guard down to the end of the trailor to be able to get the rear wheels of the Mustang on.
    Very cool pictures George, I like

Wow, those are cool George.

A buddy of mine Dave Downie who owned the local Mobil Service station on the corner of Carr Rd and Hayr Rd Mt Roskill recently sent me this photo he took of the Sidchrome on the trailer behind the ex Francevic Falcon when we called in one day on the way to a race meet at Pukekohe must be around 1978 Xmas Grand prix meetingName:  ho,sid.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  56.0 KB

A buddy of mine Dave Downie who owned the local Mobil Service station on the corner of Carr Rd and Hayr Rd Mt Roskill recently sent me this photo he took of the Sidchrome on the trailer behind the ex Francevic Falcon when we called in one day on the way to a race meet at Pukekohe must be around 1978 Xmas Grand prix meetingName:  ho,sid.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  56.0 KB
    Wow, this is such a cool photo George!

Very "period" isn't it Steve!!

The SIDCHROME Mustang in 1;43 ..

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    For those who love this car - and let's face it, who doesn't - we still have three of this 1:43rd model in stock. Click here to check it out.

Every model purchased earns a $10.00 donation to The Roaring Season. Here are some images of this high-quality resin model...

Attachment 20155
    Attachment 20156
    Attachment 20157
    Attachment 20158
    John B, sold me one of those - it sits in my Aussie / Kiwi Model cabinet along with ATCC, V8 Supercars, V8 Brutes, other Mustangs and models of cars that I have owned over the years..

Name:  Models #115 Australian BMC and Matchbox 1 2018_08_11_0491 (640x427).jpg
Views: 669
Size:  104.0 KB
    George has done a great job restoring the Car ..
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 11-26-2018 at 05:16 AM. Reason: more info and pics ####47