Thread: New Zealand National Library Photo Collection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hilstwist View Post
    This is unbelievable but the young guy with his hand up to his mouth is me!! beside car #58 . 16 years old then.The guy standing next to the Porche is my best mate. That photo was in the NZCLASSICCAR mag a year or so ago and he was thrilled when I gave him the heads up.Many thanks for posting these great photos and it really is what this site is all about. Unearthing all these photos
    Is that you sitting in the grass hilstwist?

Mini Cooper car at the Palmer Road Hill Climb, Breaker Bay, Wellington. Davis, Bruce Valentine, 1913-2003 :Negatives of the family of Bruce Davis, motor racing, and photographs of the Mosgiel Mills. Ref: 35mm-00717-f-F. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/23089561
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Journeyman Racer
    Yes thats me too sitting next to my best cobber. He is also standing next to that porcshe which was driven by a Wellington Doctor i think. But I could hardly believe it when I saw myself next to that #58 sports car. I was sure when i recognised the jumper. My Rongatai College one. It is the only Jjumper I had!!! I have still got all my hair but alas the tinnies over the years have done for my weight!! My mate was also thrilled to see these unearthed.does anyone know what/who that #58 car is i am next to on page 2 of this thread.

World Champion
    Yes thats me too sitting next to my best cobber. He is also standing next to that porcshe which was driven by a Wellington Doctor i think. But I could hardly believe it when I saw myself next to that #58 sports car. I was sure when i recognised the jumper. My Rongatai College one. It is the only Jjumper I had!!! I have still got all my hair but alas the tinnies over the years have done for my weight!! My mate was also thrilled to see these unearthed.does anyone know what/who that #58 car is i am next to on page 2 of this thread.
    #58 was the Bagnall- Jaguar

As bry3500 correctly answers in post #76 it's the Bagnall Jaguar.

Here's some useless information: the original car was built by Rob Bagnall, father of Andrew Bagnall. I know that because the Bagnalls lived across the road from us when I was growing up and I have memories of it from when I was about 4 years old.

According to Vercoe, the car didn't acquire a Jaguar engine until it's 3rd owner so the name is something of a misnomer and as it is here, the body is completely different from the original.

One night in late 1966 a mate and I visited a big old empty building in Thorndon, Wellington, which some guys had rented to work on their cars. Brian Watson was one of them and was doing a major makeover of the Bagnall Jag, including building a space frame. He told me the only original Rob Bagnall parts left in the car were the fuel tank and the steering wheel (something like that, anyway) so it had become something like grandads old axe, with 2 new heads and 3 new handles. He also told me he was renaming it Phoenix but I don't know if that stuck.
    I believe the car was well known around Wellington in its earlier days but the photos of it on this thread are the only ones I've ever seen. Anyone have or know of any others?

Had to laugh about hilstwist and his jumper. I had to do the same thing and thought I was unique. Seems there were 2 of us LOL.

David Hunter