Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New Zealand National Library Photo Collection

Semi-Pro Racer
    POST 78
    Houghton Bay 1958
    Joe Harris, Sunbeam-Talbot
    Bob Gibbons, who won here in his Cooper-JAP 1100 seven times in a row
    Ron Frost, F2 Cooper-Climax
    Reg McCutcheon, Ford Customline (or Don Bradford if it's a Fairlane - I used to know the difference!)

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    POST 78
    Houghton Bay 1958
    Joe Harris, Sunbeam-Talbot
    Bob Gibbons, who won here in his Cooper-JAP 1100 seven times in a row
    Ron Frost, F2 Cooper-Climax
    Reg McCutcheon, Ford Customline (or Don Bradford if it's a Fairlane - I used to know the difference!)

Pretty sure its a Fairlane David. Different fairing down back to Customline.
    Wouldn't worry about not picking difference in model, you are a dictionary/computer when it comes to all other things.
    Cheers and thanks for shareing your knowledge.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    5 Portrait of Jack Brabham, Grand Prix Driver at Ardmore Aerodrome Racetrack, South Auckland. Further negatives of the Evening Post newspaper. Ref: EP/1960/0058-05-F. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/30631808
    http://www.theroaringseason.com/atta...1&d=1376756480
    I think this is a great photo of Jack...
    Last edited by SPman; 08-20-2013 at 11:47 AM.

World Champion

New Zealand Grand Prix, Ardmore, Manukau County, Auckland 1959

The New Zealand Grand Prix field at Ardmore, Manukau County, Auckland, 10 January, 1959, shortly after the start. Leading (front, right) is Harry Schell (Maserati), then Joakim Bonnier (Maserati), Carroll Shelby (Maserati), Jack Brabham (Cooper, no 4), Stirling Moss (right, Cooper, no 7), Bruce McLaren (Cooper, no 47), Merv Neil (Cooper, no 37), Ross Jensen (right, Maserati), Bib Stillwell (centre, Maserati), Tom Clark (left, Ferrari, no 22), Syd Jensen (centre, Cooper, no 14), John Mansel (Maserati).
    Approaching the corner are Pat Hoare (Ferrari), Len Gilbert (obscured, Cooper-Bristol), Ken Harris (Ferrari Monza, no 9), Allen Freeman (Lago-Talbot).

New Zealand Grand Prix, Ardmore, Manukau County, Auckland. New Zealand Free Lance : Photographic prints and negatives. Ref: 1/2-132152-F. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22328104Date: 10 Jan 1959
    Attached Images Attached Images  

World Champion

Zenith Bi-Car motorcycle

Photograph of rider sitting on a Zenith Bi-Car motorcycle (number plate C-251), on a road in Christchurch, taken ca 1907-1910 by Steffano Webb
    The Bi-Car (or Bicar) motorcycle, which incorporated hub-centre steering and rear suspension, was invented by a Mr Tooley, and built by the Zenith Motor Engineering Company, Surrey, England, between 1905 and 1907. This is a 1907 model, powered by a Fafnir engine.
    Zenith Bi-Car motorcycle. Webb, Steffano, 1880?-1967 : Collection of negatives. Ref: 1/2-049622-G. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/reco
    Attached Images Attached Images  

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    Photograph of rider sitting on a Zenith Bi-Car motorcycle (number plate C-251), on a road in Christchurch, taken ca 1907-1910 by Steffano Webb
    The Bi-Car (or Bicar) motorcycle, which incorporated hub-centre steering and rear suspension, was invented by a Mr Tooley, and built by the Zenith Motor Engineering Company, Surrey, England, between 1905 and 1907. This is a 1907 model, powered by a Fafnir engine.
    Zenith Bi-Car motorcycle. Webb, Steffano, 1880?-1967 : Collection of negatives. Ref: 1/2-049622-G. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/reco
    Sorry this is a bit off topic and that the thread is a bit all over the place . The photos are widespread and buried.

Hi BRY these shots are Awsom keep them up #84 pict I was there that day drove my Austin Ulster out there and it went bang on the way home too big a foot Jamie A

Quote Originally Posted by hilstwist View Post
    Yes thats me too sitting next to my best cobber. He is also standing next to that porcshe which was driven by a Wellington Doctor i think. But I could hardly believe it when I saw myself next to that #58 sports car. I was sure when i recognised the jumper. My Rongatai College one. It is the only Jjumper I had!!! I have still got all my hair but alas the tinnies over the years have done for my weight!! My mate was also thrilled to see these unearthed.does anyone know what/who that #58 car is i am next to on page 2 of this thread.

As bry3500 correctly answers in post #76 it's the Bagnall Jaguar.

Here's some useless information: the original car was built by Rob Bagnall, father of Andrew Bagnall. I know that because the Bagnalls lived across the road from us when I was growing up and I have memories of it from when I was about 4 years old.

According to Vercoe, the car didn't acquire a Jaguar engine until it's 3rd owner so the name is something of a misnomer and as it is here, the body is completely different from the original.

One night in late 1966 a mate and I visited a big old empty building in Thorndon, Wellington, which some guys had rented to work on their cars. Brian Watson was one of them and was doing a major makeover of the Bagnall Jag, including building a space frame. He told me the only original Rob Bagnall parts left in the car were the fuel tank and the steering wheel (something like that, anyway) so it had become something like grandads old axe, with 2 new heads and 3 new handles. He also told me he was renaming it Phoenix but I don't know if that stuck.
    I believe the car was well known around Wellington in its earlier days but the photos of it on this thread are the only ones I've ever seen. Anyone have or know of any others?

Had to laugh about hilstwist and his jumper. I had to do the same thing and thought I was unique. Seems there were 2 of us LOL.

David Hunter

The NZ National Library Photo Collection - Levin images

Bry3500 .. Had not seen this thread before, but have seen a lot of the images - copied elsewhere, for example the Buckler D Type and AH 100S trio in the paddock, Ivy Stephenson in her car with NSCC Logo on Overalls and others.

Recently - as in yesterday, my Couson sent me the link as he and I have been looking for the NZ Tourist trophy Images and cuttings from papers of the day about the TT Races on Waiheke.

Thanks for posting- and yes the rules regarding publication are there,which is good.

Cheers

Roger

Levin 1958 The AH 100S

David McKinney comments ;
    " Angus Hyslop's D-type Jag between Roy Billington's Elfo Special (left) and Graham Pierce's 100S Austin-Healey "

The Pierce 100S is the Seabrook Fowlds, ex Ross Jensen car AHS3908 which is still in new Zealand and resppectfully restored to how it was when Ross Jensen raced it, complete with the small flaps of the front shroud in front of the windscreen.

Had seen this photo before from the Evening Post collection - now correctly identified.
    Interesting the Elfo Special has a De Joux body and I first thought it was a Buckler, but that body mould was used on many non- Buckler cars in the late 1950's.

Name:  AH 100S #998 AHS3908 1958 with Jaguar D type Elto Spl Buckler Levin 3 Nov 1958 Evening Post EP19.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  60.7 KB

Good to see the other photo of the car too !! in the same Post [ post one - as identified by David McKinney.

Name:  AH 100S #566 AHS3908 Levin 3 Dec 1958 60.608 1956 - 61 plate Graham Pierce  Evening Post EP1958-.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  98.7 KB

Thanks again for posting - more for the Austin Healey archives, see there are a couple with the car on track too.

Roger

Levin 1958 The AH 100S

David McKinney comments ;
    " Angus Hyslop's D-type Jag between Roy Billington's Elfo Special (left) and Graham Pierce's 100S Austin-Healey "

The Pierce 100S is the Seabrook Fowlds, ex Ross Jensen car AHS3908 which is still in New Zealand and respectfully restored to how it was when Ross Jensen raced it, complete with the small flaps of the front shroud in front of the windscreen.

Had seen this photo before from the Evening Post collection - now correctly identified.
    Interesting the Elfo Special has a De Joux body and I first thought it was a Buckler, but that body mould was used on many non- Buckler cars in the late 1950's.

Name:  AH 100S #998 AHS3908 1958 with Jaguar D type Elto Spl Buckler Levin 3 Nov 1958 Evening Post EP19.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  60.7 KB

Good to see the other photo of the car too !! in the same Post [ post one - as identified by David McKinney.

Name:  AH 100S #566 AHS3908 Levin 3 Dec 1958 60.608 1956 - 61 plate Graham Pierce  Evening Post EP1958-.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  98.7 KB

Thanks again for posting - more for the Austin Healey archives, see there are a couple with the car on track too.

Roger