Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Peter Mellor Collection - Part 2

Fantastic research Stephen,it is great to get to the facts on these cars from so far back.

Regards Pete.

Thanks Pete.

It is Ray and your photos that are the stars, from an era many of us enjoy seeing. Being rare colour and often rare pits-orientated photos, they're pure gold being shared with fellow enthusiasts.

Not being old enough to have been involved with this era first hand, I just have a little dig if a few clues help give the game away.

Back to the side vents on the JWF, unless I'm mistaken they look like they're from the BMC parts bin too. The side grilles from next to the radiator grille of a Wolseley I think.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by tweaks View Post
    I wonder if the moulds for the Italia still exist along with a few of the other cars built around that era..Milano ect

Cheers
    Lynds
    There is a thread on autosport.com's The Nostalgia Forum relating to the JWF Milano. Dick Willis and some of the others who own or owned these cars would be a good start point to ask about moulds.

Stephen

This is great info guys, and Stephen you have eagle eyes spotting that race programme the punter was holding!

Here is another ad, thanks to Pete for sending this through. Really pretty cars.

Name:  img001.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  153.1 KB

Here is Greg Cusack in the beautiful little Elfin Mallala. There were some absolutely glorious sports car that came out of Australia during this period. This car is a joy to behold.

Name:  71.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  92.5 KB

Neat description here from Pete regarding this shot:

"Here is a shot of Cuz Malcolm (Rays brother) in his Buchanan/Austin Healey (another typical early 60's Special) which was raced at Lowood but not Lakeside".

Name:  Peter 9.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  144.8 KB

Neat photo here of the female driver Ann Thompson.

Name:  Ann Thompson.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  104.9 KB

I'm assuming this Ann Thompson Lotus photo is being shown for the very first time. I would think once Marc Schagen sees it he'll wish he knew about this brilliant candid shot during preparation for his recently published book on historic Lotus racing and sports cars in Australia.

Stephen

Semi-Pro Racer
    That car currently resides in Newcastle NSW. Barry Bates is the current owner and has had it since the 70's (approx).It is having a freshen up at the moment.
    Dale.

I think the fellow with his back to the camera is the late Lionel Ayers,the famous Racing Chemist also from Brisbane.

Regards Pete.
    Last edited by mid-year; 09-22-2013 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper997 View Post
    I'm assuming this Ann Thompson Lotus photo is being shown for the very first time. I would think once Marc Schagen sees it he'll wish he knew about this brilliant candid shot during preparation for his recently published book on historic Lotus racing and sports cars in Australia.

Stephen
    Yes that has happened to me several times upon putting together a historical magazine article, then having photos emerge after it was published that would have been perfect for it! Very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by mid-year View Post
    I think the fellow with his back to the camera is the late Lionel Ayers,the famous racing Chemist also from Brisbane.

Regards Pete.
    Pete, sad to hear Lionel Ayres has died, as not aware of this.
    It seems he died in May 2013, aged 82

I first became aware of him in early 1960's as when he came to Sydney he stayed with some of his relatives just around the corner from where I lived in Cronulla. His tow car and enclosed trailer parked out the front, and altough couldn't see the race car, the setup looked very professional and big time.

For some reason, probably affordability, he mainly raced cars of his own construction through his company Motor Racing Components (MRC). He was a practicing Pharmacist but obviously had an engineering bent.

He built a couple of clones including a Lotus 20 Formula Junior (lasr raced by Murray Bryden) and a Lotus 23 ( now owned and raced by Stephen Fryer). He also built 2 can am style sports cars powered by Repco V8's, the MRC 11 (restored by Sydney's Ian Ross) and the Rennmax (where is it?)

In the early 2000's he restored the famous Mildren "Yellow Submarine" and reunited it with Waggott engine. (where is it now?)

He raced a couple of Hillmans and a Cortina in early Bathurst 500's but this was extent of touring car racing.

Steve, although I doubt he raced in NZ, I believe a tribute thread would be appropriate for him on your site, and I am sure there would be plenty of Aussies who could contribute.

Absolutely Terry, this is an international website, created to celebrate all motor racing history. Please go ahead and create a tribute thread for Lionel.

A great spectactle was the sight of his tow set up which consisted of his Silver-Fox GTHO Ph 2 hauling the enclosed trailer with the MRC aboard.Now a Ph2 is quite a lumpy beast just propelling it self around but as a tow vehicle the mind boggles.

Pete.

Thats something I'd love to see Pete. Be fantastic if a photo popped up one day. Kinda makes me think also that we should start a dedicated thread on tow vehicles and trailers of old. Now that would make a cool thread.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thats something I'd love to see Pete. Be fantastic if a photo popped up one day. Kinda makes me think also that we should start a dedicated thread on tow vehicles and trailers of old. Now that would make a cool thread.

Steve

You should start one and the first to go in is ......George's setup for the Sidchrome....way before its time

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Absolutely Terry, this is an international website, created to celebrate all motor racing history. Please go ahead and create a tribute thread for Lionel.
    Steve I really believe there are others more qualified to do this than me, particlualrly Pete "Mid year" who is in Brisbane.
    Another two could be Ellis or Dale Harvey. I will throw the invite over to them, or anyone else

This great bit of info is from Pete, on these next two photos:

"Bill Gates was the No1 disc-jockey in Brisbane during the sixties with radio 4BH and his hobby was motor racing, working his way through several Lotus' (Loti?) and also driving with great distinction in the Surfers Paradise 12 hour races in the McClusky Ford entered XT-GT and GT-HO Ph 1".

Name:  Gates 2.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  170.8 KB

Name:  Gates 1.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  103.6 KB

The Gates Elfin was raced by Frank Matich before it headed to Qld. it's still in the longterm ownership of CAMS longest serving official, Graham Hoinville. In the early 90s he won the Grand Prix Rally to Adelaide with it. Beating a few Porsches and the like.

Stephen