Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Peter Mellor Collection - Part 2

That car had a better win ratio then the LWT.

The Niel Allen early E-type fhc has also long gone.

How about this for a great way to kick-start the new week. Ken Miles giving it heaps in the factory 427 Cobra CSX3002, at the 1965 Lakeside TT. It wasn't the fastest car at the event, but everyone who saw it remembers it, so it clearly left an indelible impression!

Name:  1m2.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  102.7 KB

Couple of great looking cars here in Bib Stillwell's Copper Monaco Buick leading Frank Matich's Lotus 19B. Just check out that beautiful Lakeside backdrop!

Name:  PC310001.jpg
Views: 1599
Size:  105.5 KB

Here is that fantastic Stillwell Cooper Monaco again. Does this car still exist?

Name:  Image10.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  144.6 KB

One of the most memorable sports cars to have raced in Australasia, the David McKay/Scuderia Veloce Ferrari 250LM, which was driven by Spencer Martin. After its time in Aus, where it was also driven by the likes of Pete Geoghegan, among others, it made its way to New Zealand, where it was raced by Andy Buchanan, who won the 1967 NZ Sports Car Championship with it.

Name:  PC300031.jpg
Views: 1585
Size:  171.0 KB

And here is the Ferrari again, this time out on track. This is probably the best angle for this car.

Name:  Image51.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  101.4 KB

Wonderful shot here of Leo Geoghegan in his Lotus 23. This photo really demonstrates how low these cars were, with people standing next to it. The Lotus comes up at just above knee height.

Name:  image00778.jpg
Views: 1695
Size:  107.6 KB

And here he is again, at speed.

Name:  Leo 2.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  122.6 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    That's Pete not Leo.
    Dale.

Thanks Dale, I thought it looked like Pete in the first photo but convinced myself only Leo raced this car.

These are more great photos Pete & Ray. Thanks for showing them.

The photos in post 23 & 24 of Frank Matich Lotus 19 & Bib Stillwell Cooper-Monaco, as best I can work out potentially makes it the February 1963 Lakeside International meeting. The Monaco would have still been Climax powered when these were taken. It had the rear wheel spats cut out even before the Buick V8 went in. If I'm on the right track with this, the car in Buick form debuted at Mallala in October 1964. Twenty odd years ago, Paul Moxham had this car. But last I was aware it was with Frank Sytner in the UK.

The photo of Ian Geoghegan sitting in the Lotus 23 is at Qld's Lowood circuit pits in June 1963. He won the Australian Tourist Trophy race that day. But the other photo looks more like Lakeside background.

Stephen

Great info, thanks Stephen. Re the Stillwell Cooper-Monaco, just out of interest, would this car be eligible to race in historic events now with the Buick V8, given it raced with this motor in period?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper997 View Post
    These are more great photos Pete & Ray. Thanks for showing them.

The photos in post 23 & 24 of Frank Matich Lotus 19 & Bib Stillwell Cooper-Monaco, as best I can work out potentially makes it the February 1963 Lakeside International meeting. The Monaco would have still been Climax powered when these were taken. It had the rear wheel spats cut out even before the Buick V8 went in. If I'm on the right track with this, the car in Buick form debuted at Mallala in October 1964. Twenty odd years ago, Paul Moxham had this car. But last I was aware it was with Frank Sytner in the UK.

The photo of Ian Geoghegan sitting in the Lotus 23 is at Qld's Lowood circuit pits in June 1963. He won the Australian Tourist Trophy race that day. But the other photo looks more like Lakeside background.

Stephen
    last I herd moxham turned it back into climax car and buick was destend for ajet boat
    Kind regards,
    Gwyn

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    last I herd moxham turned it back into climax car and buick was destend for ajet boat
    further to this I belive it was a traco olds engine not a buick I do belive that they are similar
    Kind regards,
    Gwyn

Thanks for this Ged, yes I believe they are much the same engine, with alloy block.

Really stunning shot here of Frank Matich, aboard his lovely Lotus 19B. Where is this car today?

Name:  Image8.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  179.2 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Really stunning shot here of Frank Matich, aboard his lovely Lotus 19B. Where is this car today?

Name:  Image8.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  179.2 KB
    I believe it was damaged by Matich at Lakeside. It apparently sustained "more damage" after the accident and was an insurance write off.
    I will check up with Geoff Smedley down the road. Geoff was a race mechanic employed by Total at the time.
    I am sure he told me that he took the suspension uprights and after machining etc he used them in the Matich SR 3....correction...used in the Traco Olds at Elfin in Adelaide. Geoff took whole wreck to Adelaide...see later post

(A Stanley pic)

Smed did this pencil drawing of the car....

Total team Cars during Smeds involvment...

Smed is 3rd standing from Rhs
    Last edited by Ellis; 08-29-2013 at 01:59 AM. Reason: add pic and ammend detail

Weren't there some evocative cars at that time? Lotus 19, 23, Monaco, 250LM, Elfin Mallala, etc. Wide wheels fitted to some of them ruined the looks. May have been faster but...
    Then the true canam style was another fantastic era.

I think with the ex Stillwell Cooper Monaco it had both the Buick V8 and then received the Oldsmobile V8 when with Tony Osborne in 1966. In event programmes when entered by Bib Stillwell (in V8 form) it's usually listed with a capacity of 3900cc (ex Daigh Scarab/Glass BRM). In the June 66 Sandown programme the capacity for Tony's car is listed at 4400cc and kept growing afterwards.

I'm not up with what the FIA would allow as far as Steve's question on whether it would be eligible to run with a V8 in historics. I suspect not though.

What better than if Ellis can get Geoff Smedley to share his wisdom on the Matich Lotus. I have a mention of it being the July 1965 Lakeside meeting where it was damaged/wrecked.

Stephen

Semi-Pro Racer
    What about the practice crash at Warwick Farm short circuit, with a mechanic at the wheel, I thought that put an end to it.
    Dale.