Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Bucklers!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Boydie had the other (first Mark 5) not what is now known as the Blue Brick. He may have driven the brick, but owned the other. When he did the South Island tour he had the tent in the hatch in front of the screen, and wife and son with him in the car. Originally there were 2 Mk 5/6 in NZ, another brought in by Graham Brayshaw more recently. The white one is now with Mike Endean, the brick with Kelvin Brown
    Rhys, when are you going to write a book about Bucklers, thanks for all your, as Ken H puts it, " inputs " - he has been living in the USA for too long.
    You may have seen a couple of photo's posted by Bart Jonkers who has the Green /Yellow NZ Car of another Buckler at Dunedin in 1962.. Graham Woods followed up the photo's with entry lists for the car in 1962, seems to have done all the South Island meetings.

Will post them here soon ..

Another Buckler Dunedin 1962 - and other races

M D Hammond from Hunterville

OOps
    Name:  Bucklers in NZ #97 Buckler Dunedin 1962 crash B Jonkers archive .jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  Bucklers in NZ #98 Buckler Dunedin 1962  no 50 B Jonkers archive .jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  45.0 KB

The entry list, not sure if in the right chronological order January February were very busy months, as there had already been Ardmore the GP, Levin ?? and Ohakea !! someone will assist here ?? Please

Dunedin
    Name:  Bucklers in NZ #99 Dunedin 1962 entry list G Woods .jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  124.7 KB

Waimate
    Name:  Bucklers in NZ #100 Waimate entry list 1962 G Woods .jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  109.3 KB

Teretonga
    Name:  Bucklers in NZ #102Teretonga 1962 entry list G Woods .jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  84.8 KB

Wigram
    Name:  Bucklers in NZ #103 Wigram 1962 Sports Car entry list G Woods .jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  132.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Rhys, when are you going to write a book about Bucklers, thanks for all your, as Ken H puts it, " inputs " - he has been living in the USA for too long.
    You may have seen a couple of photo's posted by Bart Jonkers who has the Green /Yellow NZ Car of another Buckler at Dunedin in 1962.. Graham Woods followed up the photo's with entry lists for the car in 1962, seems to have done all the South Island meetings.

Will post them here soon ..
    Kelvin Brown has already written that book! I was off work for several months after a work injury a year or two back, and Kelvin and I sorted out a spreadsheet of the ownerships, etc. I contacted a whole bunch of old Northland Car Club members from the time, and was given a lot of photos which I also passed on the Kelvin.
    Yes, I communicate with Bart fairly often. I was able to help with some documentation for his efforts to get the car legal in the Netherlands.

A few comments on the entry list (last one)
    The Preston car became mine in 1970 (sold in 1970), A.A Buchanan, is Andy who did lots of good things later, the Judd car is now in the UK. The Hammond car was last known with a D Judd of Wanganui, then in a road crash, believed to have been in a Wanganui car dealer with a "Clubman type body" and now not found.
    Last edited by Oldfart; 02-20-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Caffeine and Classics Smales Farm Auckland..Feb 2018

C and C's own photos from the 5th Anniversary meeting apparently over 1300 cars and I missed it.
    BMC BOY was there as was Ray Green and others ;

the Peter Benbrook's Buckler, appears here often !!

Name:  Bucklers in NZ #120 Peter Benbrook's car C and C photo .jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  112.8 KB

"Oldfart " this is for you - about you, and you have probably seen it ??

Car Registration papers for a Buckler .. seems to be a name we all know !! Cheers

No doubt "someone "can tell us more about the car ??

Name:  Oldfart - Bucklers in NZ #121 Rego Papers G Currie A Warren  (3).jpg
Views: 998
Size:  177.2 KB

A South Island car through the period -

More information;

Peter Preston raced this car in the 1960's in the South Island and I note that it was owned by an
    - " Ivy Alice Preston " from 20 July 1961 to 29 July 1964.
    Would have had the 1961 - 64 plates 759.025 when purchased and the permanent plates A!6477 - just issued when sold 29 July 1964.

The car currently has the plate " GHH417 " under the ownership of Mark Garmey, Mark and his father Ian Garmey [ RIP Ian recently ] have the car in excellent condition and it features in a New Zealand Classic Driver - Special Edition Magazine published in late 2021.
    The story of the car in the magazine has some anomalies, if these papers are to be believed.
    They were issued in 1975, and would appear to be a re-issue.

The car as featured with others in the Magazine - posted later n the thread also.

Name:  Bucklers in NZ #244 sml NZ Classic Driver magazine Special Edition Dec 2021 Bucklers in NZ (640x.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  138.8 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 01-30-2023 at 11:48 PM. Reason: more info and pics ####47

World Champion
    Rhys,
    Besides your connections to Matamata and Morrinsville, I see you mentioned being at Dunsandel, where my cousin Jack Mackie lives, did you know him ? He is one of my favorite relatives.

(Ken Hyndman )

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Rhys,
    Besides your connections to Matamata and Morrinsville, I see you mentioned being at Dunsandel, where my cousin Jack Mackie lives, did you know him ? He is one of my favorite relatives.

(Ken Hyndman )
    That was when the education department posted teachers to wherever they were needed. I was only there for a year. I may have known him, but it's a long time ago!

Car Registration papers for a Buckler .. seems to be a name we all know !! Cheers

Well, as you can see from this I do know a bit about the car! It is now superbly restored, back to the red colour it was in it's early days. Known as 90/3 (NZ id numbers arbitrarily assigned).With the Garmey family.
    From my own knowledge this proves to me that NZ "official" records are not always right as there is at least one missing owner, if not more
    Last edited by Oldfart; 03-05-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Well, as you can see from this I do know a bit about the car! It is now superbly restored, back to the red colour it was in it's early days. Known as 90/3 (NZ id numbers arbitrarily assigned).With the Garmey family.
    From my own knowledge this proves to me that NZ "official" records are not always right as there is at least one missing owner, if not more
    Rhys, Just great to have a good "old fashioned " piece of paper written by real people - the car would have had a few licence plates over time from the replaced evey few years type to a couple of " permanent " ones as mentioned on the document

Buckler 90/3 formerly owned by " Oldfart "

Have been contacted by " Cooper56 ", Ian and son Mark now have this car.

Here is Ian's message ;
    " Buckler 90/3.

This car is in my care and is owned by my son Mark.

Mark would very much like to add these papers to the car's history file, would it be possible to obtain them from you, or at least a copy of them.
    "

Oldfart, do you have a copy of the papers that Ian Garmey [ Cooper56 ] could have for his son Mark.
    Have suggested that he contact you either through TRS or Facebook, on " Buckler Cars and Karts " page.

Cheers
    Roger

Further Note ; Rhys did not post the papers on Fb and my notes on them says G Currie A Warren.
    Have passed the information onto Ian Garmey, for Mark Garmey who Rhys is in contact with..
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 04-21-2018 at 03:38 AM. Reason: more info #### 47

Buckler 90/1 formerly in NZ now in Holland

Note from Bart Jonkers regarding KA 6377.

1950s The ex New Zealand 90/1 today has passed all RDW (Dutch Road Authority) tests for roadworthyness, individual type approval and vehicle identity verification! That means that in a few days i’ll have dutch license plates and can start driving it. Exactly 6 months after arrival in NL.
    For those of you who assisted in getting to this point with tech help, historic documentation, brochures showing specs and even video clips showing ‘normal’ tie rod play : a BIG Thank You!!

Barts photo

Name:  Bucklers in NZ #133 KA 7377 NZ Chassis 90 ; 1 in Holland B Jonkers photo .jpg
Views: 887
Size:  85.9 KB

Other photos of the Car appear on this thread, taken at various NZ Motorsport events - This at a Sprint meeting Pukekohe 1979
    Name:  Bucklers in NZ #29 David Child my TR4A background Pukekohe 1979 ; 1980's HSCRNZ archive.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  79.5 KB

and this at Otaua in the mid 1980's posted before.

Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 - 88 #54 Buckler CCI10122015_0002 (780x671).jpg
Views: 858
Size:  153.8 KB

Interesting stuff, thanks BMC BOY for the photos, question, who is in the Car - dark body white stripe and Roundel for the race number, the Gent has a beard, from a 1982 TACCOC sprint, ??, From memory he was quite an authority on Bucklers like Bruce Sutcliffe, and a member of the Waitemata branch of the Vintage Car Club, that ran Chelsea and other sprints / hillclimbs. ( Lyle Chambers, who had a 1930's BSA front wheel drive [ 4 wheel ] special - with a side valve Ford 10 engine in place of the four cylinder BSA, new him well. the said BSA was run at a Pukekohe sprint with owner Lyle driving and myself been given time to do a few laps too The BSA could hit about 80 mph on the back straight at Pukekohe [ pre-chicanes ] ). Also remember the Glendene Sprints, [ as pictured earlier ] where the Bucklers were and Peter Bruin's, beautiful Lotus 11 sports [ where is that car now ??].
    Have found the answer to my last question - the Peter Bruin Lotus 11 is now with the Ganley family

Buckler 90/1 formerly in NZ now in Holland some more photos

Bart Jonkers the new owner of 90/1 ex New Zealand has been out driving now his Dutch compliance and Registration is complete ; with his permission I have borrowed these two photo ;

Name:  Bucklers in NZ #136 KA 7377 NZ Chassis 90 ; 1 at a gas station B Jonkers photo .jpg
Views: 941
Size:  75.4 KB

Just to prove it really is in Holland - a windmill !!

Name:  Bucklers in NZ #137 KA 7377 NZ Chassis 90 ; 1 now in Holland Dutch Rego B Jonkers photo .jpg
Views: 954
Size:  79.0 KB

Bart says he took the car for a run of about 60 km's - looks like fun !!

Wait until you hear what events he really bought it to take part in!

Bruce Sutcliffe, "Mr Buckler NZ" is not too flash in the health department right now.

That model is such a nice looking car! I am very envious.
    I hope Bruce makes a recovery.
    Regards to all
    P

Wait until you hear what events he really bought it to take part in!

Bruce Sutcliffe, "Mr Buckler NZ" is not too flash in the health department right now.
    Oldfart, I knew he was getting Special wheels made, but not what competition he was getting into.

Not good about " Mr Buckler NZ " if in touch pass on my best wishes, to him , Rhys !

A couple from the weekend. Rhys, you'd be happy with the Hooter's VCC grid, as they combined historic, FJ and saloons. Made for some great photographs.

Name:  218_0506_410.JPG
Views: 765
Size:  109.5 KB

Name:  218_0506_415.JPG
Views: 763
Size:  104.6 KB

Great shots Ray,
    Pardon my ignorance, but are these 2 different models of Bucklers above, are they the 90/1 (#44) and 90/3 (#90) models?
    I particularly like the #90 model.
    Love the racing screens too
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    ...though they were known at the time as AMW bodies (from Australasian Motor Works)
    The other notable fibreglass body used on Bucklers was the Jarvie, as used on the Merv Mayo car, which is now I believe owned by the abovementioned Kelvin Brown
    Just going back through this thread doing research on the Paton Ford for my book. Who was Australasian Motor Works?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Just going back through this thread doing research on the Paton Ford for my book. Who was Australasian Motor Works?
    Ferris de Joux Steve.
    I'm not entirely happy with the VCC Hooters grid Steve, by now there should have been so many it needed separate grids!
    Last edited by Oldfart; 05-08-2018 at 06:25 AM.