Views: 789
Size:  157.2 KB

Name:  IMG_7151.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  161.4 KB

Name:  IMG_7153.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  154.9 KB

As normal, more answers have resulted in more questions!
    Waznot, can you tell what gearbox your car has, and if there is any rod system coming from the diff to act as torque reaction?
    The Billington car, according to my contact who was close to the Northland Club and took many photos had an "Elfo" overhead valve conversion. The chassis didn't ring any bells, but for lack of knowing rather than anything else. Number plate position is right, but most cars had them in a similar place. For me , right now, your car is still possible Billington, depending on the answers to the questions above, as that car has disappeared. Engine change is always possible, for me that doesn't exclude it.
    The pale blue car with the bonnet scoop is still a mystery, as is the venue. He has said the Northland Club didn't put out haybales at any event he knew of.

Back to my contact who has supplied a good number of the old photos has resulted in not much more. He can't confirm or deny the chassis Waznot, as he said he hadn't seen it without body panels.
    The "mystery" pale blue car remains just that. He has said he doesn't recognise the venue. (And he had taken photos at every Northland event.)

Quote Originally Posted by nigel watts View Post
    Name:  IMG_4906.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  165.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5118.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  180.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5120.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  175.0 KB
    Nigel, Do you know if the Vintage Car Club still run this event, or one somewhere in the Western Bay of Plenty, would love to attend..??

Unfortunately Roger they stopped running it several years ago. Not sure why.

I was told that the lack of club volunteers to help caused the event to not be run any more.

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks for the ongoing research, I am more inclined to think that it is more likely the mystery car than the Billington car. These images are from a video on YouTube ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDOV6MjSOXM ) of Austins Rd hillclimb which even though the video says 59/60 only ran at Austins Rd 1961,63,64,65 according to records of Au/NZ hillclimb events. I also have footage that includes this car that says Puhipuhi early 1960s, worse quality but same wheels and white on the bonnet. This is clearly the mystery car because of the small white bonnet scoop and the painted nose as per the better photo.

Name:  De Joux body at Austins Rd 0.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  69.3 KB
    Name:  De Joux body at Austins Rd 1.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  66.6 KB
    Name:  De Joux body at Austins Rd 2.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  69.2 KB

My rear end when purchased
    Name:  Taillights sm.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  139.8 KB

here is also a photo of the rear suspension when I picked it up, obviously like everything else it has a coat of red oxide paint no doubt to protect it at some point..

Name:  rear Suspension sm.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  156.0 KB

I am currently away from home but hope to pull out some stored items so I can get access to the car when I get home and look for finer details.
    Last edited by Waznot; 05-26-2018 at 02:51 PM.

I am now very confident that your car is not the Billington car. Rear suspension, and a photo of a beautifully finished dashboard would suggest that it's unlikely to have been altered totally. The jury is still out on the "mystery" car, more searching is being done.
    The source you quote for Austin's Rd dates can't be accurate, as in that film you posted there is a car which didn't get into that state, nor with that driver until 7th January 1971 (I have a copy of the registration document).

Weekend Warrior
    http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/tracks/ausnzhc.html

Austins Road Used from 1962-1965.

I claim no personnel knowledge and can only go on the info I/we find. The windscreen for the car was gone so unfortunately no Wof sticker to indicate when last rego'd. I'm actually glad it's not the Billington car as that would in some ways affect what I can/would do with the car.
    The video might not even be Austins Rd, that is what the title says but it may be as inaccurate as the year on the header.
    At the moment it is an intriguing discussion trying to figure out what it is. . Thanks for your interest and support.

I understand your reference, just that if it is Austin's Rd, as one of the competitors who appears in the clip has said, your reference isn't correct. As with all historical research, until I find first hand info, then it is treated with suspicion. Perhaps the silhouet.com site has not included what might be almost a club event, rather than more open (just giving them an out). Records from Austins Rd have been found with my contact, who found the venue. He says first time run was 26th Feb 1961 and last Feb 1967, he has the results of all the events, so clearly silhouet.com doesn't stand up as a reference.
    The car at 33 secs in is the one which did not get into the state shown (no front) until 1971 (mentioned in post #190). Most of the number plates in the You tube clip which show are the post 65 plates too.
    I am waiting for him to tell me what road he believes it to be, as that may confirm or deny Austin's Rd. As soon as I have anything, it will be here.

We do know with certainty that your car was used post 1965, otherwise you wouldn't have the number plate, and certainly not in the stone chipped state.
    Last edited by Oldfart; 05-28-2018 at 05:47 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    A lovely higher res photo of the mystery car that shows the number plate would be lovely because that would at least confirm one way or the other if it is my car. I'm happy if it is post 71 as I have no particular need for it to be earlier, pre 74 is great as that keeps it pre Australian design rules which will make it much easier to road register here, also 70s gives me permission to upgrade the restoration to a more 60s running gear which will make it more road friendly for what I want to use it for but still to keep it as a Ford special.

Looking forward to getting home and getting access to the bonnet to remove the indicators to see what colour is underneath and then gently strip the nose cone to see if any 2 tone present.

As with most, if not all, of the period photos, resolution was not something that was a factor. When I bought my first digital camera I went as good as I could afford and bought 1 kb! I'm not sure where that photo came from so getting a better copy isn't easy. I know Bart found it somewhere.
    From the pics you posted when the car was being steam cleaned Waznot there doesn't seem to be any evidence of a scoop having been removed from the bonnet. I can't imagine it being just decoration, and the inside looks as though no holes have been repaired.
    Last edited by Oldfart; 05-29-2018 at 04:29 AM.

This has been an interesting search, I like your car waznot. I hope you will be able to shed some light on its history as time goes by.
    It would be a nice car to restore.
    Cheers

It has been interesting, and from a competitor, Stan Benbrook at the time;

"Awesome video of Austins Road hill climb 1966. The only year Jim Boyd ran there (and set the hill record).
    Its Vic Simpkin in the front-less buckler. I never knew he ran it without the bonnet. Wayne Harris ran it from 1967 and I bought it from him just as it looked in the video. (the smashed front came as a jigsaw puzzle) I had presumed Wayne had broken it in his big off at Mclean Road, Waipu in 1967".

The single shot is also Vic Simpkin in his other Buckler, note the grille mesh, bonnet hump and screen. I don't think its Griffin Road or Kara"

So, we now know the mystery car, and also that I was very wrong about Stan and using the car without the front, but so was he

So, the blue car is the one which Ray Purdy was last user of, not yours Waznot.

Just for the sake of future references, the number 14 car post #182 is an Austin 7 based car, driven here by Hamish Andrew.
    Last edited by Oldfart; 05-29-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Weekend Warrior
    Well at least we have a definite on the mystery car, now we can start from scratch to try and figure out what my car was ??????

1986 Chelsea Hillclimb

Name:  img770_1.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  152.8 KB

Name:  img780_1.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  176.8 KB

Name:  img797_1.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  157.7 KB

Buckler at Hamilton - Telecom Motorfest 1993 or 1994

Photo by Laurie Brenssell, one of the organisers of the events with Hamilton Car Club.

Name:  Bucklers in NZ #139 Buckler Telecom Motorfest 1994 Laurie Brenssell .jpg
Views: 532
Size:  86.1 KB

Buckler 90/1 formerly in NZ now in Holland - some news

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Bart Jonkers the new owner of 90/1 ex New Zealand has been out driving now his Dutch compliance and Registration is complete ; with his permission I have borrowed these two photo ;

Attachment 53614

Just to prove it really is in Holland - a windmill !!

Attachment 53615

Bart says he took the car for a run of about 60 km's - looks like fun !!
    Bart took the car to a Hillclimb Rally quote ;
    " Squadra Scudo (transl: Team Buckler) has arrived in Bassano, Italy. "
    Apparently he had some mechanical issues Car was trailered there And had to return the same way ..
    Have a look at " Buckler Cars and Karts ". Bart Jonkers posts.

as he wrote ;
    " Game over for the 90 this weekend. Today was a bloodbath with some 10 out of 100 cars giving up. Turns out the clutch in the 90 is/was not up to the job for steep hills. Completely fried. Pics showing what a rally day in the Dolomites should not look like. All part of the game. "

the link ;
    " https://www.facebook.com/groups/7632...group_activity "