Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Peter Mellor Collection - Part 1

Photos: The Peter Mellor Collection - Part 1

Name:  IMG_0169s.jpg
Views: 3826
Size:  145.2 KB

Another new collection of period motor racing photos, and another collection I'm really excited to share. This stuff is absolutely gold, and its a real privilege to be able to post it here. The Peter Mellor Collection is a largely Queensland based collection of photos dating back to the early 1960s. The photos were taken by Pete himself, as well as his cousin Ray Moore, and a close friend, who prefers to remain anonymous.

Pete has been a member of The Roaring Season for quite some time. You'll know him as 'mid-year'. He has posted some real gems on this site in amongst various threads, but now we've pinned him down to bring the collection together within one thread.

I actually don't know how many photos will be in this collection, as Pete has been drip-feeding them to me, and I suspect even he isn't sure, so we'll just run with it, and see where it takes us. But I can promise, there are some real gems in here.

So, anyway, here it is, the Peter Mellor Collection.

Name:  IMG_0170.jpg
Views: 3889
Size:  165.2 KB

The photo in the opening post, and the one posted here, show the famous, and feared, Neptune Racing Team (which went on to become the Tridents Racing Team) made up of l-r: Jim McKeown, Norm Beechey, and Peter Manton. The opening portion of this collection are photos of the Neptune team.

This photo was taken in 1964, and I suspect it could even be from the Australian Touring Car Championship race, which was held at Lakeside that year. The three drivers were each based in a different class (Manton in 1,001 - 1,300cc, McKeown in 1,301 - 2,000cc, and Beechey in Over 2,600cc), so the team had a representative battling for class honours. However, at this time, there was little to separate the different classes on performance, and indeed, the outright winner could come from any number of drivers in any class.

These two opening photos capture the excitement that surrounded this team. They were a force to be reckoned with, although in the 1964 ATCC, it was Pete Geoghegan in his Cortina GT who emerged victorious, although each of the Neptune team members played a significant role. Beechey looks great here, always the showman, playing 'mister cool'.

Jim McKeown was the first driver in Australia to race a Lotus Cortina. His was not a factory built racer, as many were, rather a road car converted for racing. But McKeown developed the car to such an extent, some even considered it to be the worlds fastest Lotus Cortina.

Here Jim and Manton hover around the Cortina's engine bay.

Name:  IMG_0167.jpg
Views: 2978
Size:  167.5 KB

High-tech refueling system on Norm's EH.

Name:  IMG_0166.jpg
Views: 2891
Size:  103.0 KB

Fantastic photo here of Jim McKeown's Lotus Cortina engine bay.

Name:  IMG_0172.jpg
Views: 2949
Size:  111.6 KB

Beechey, on left, is looking a little like Ed Roth with his Neptune hat on. That's Manton on the right. Who is the guy in the middle?

Name:  IMG_0175.jpg
Views: 2741
Size:  81.4 KB

World Champion
    The Manton Mini at the Lakeside Classic

Name:  P1020094.jpg
Views: 2691
Size:  155.7 KB

Thanks Sean, neat photo of a neat car. And its driven well too!

World Champion
    Ex Manton Neptune Racing Mini in action

Name:  P1010996.jpg
Views: 2877
Size:  159.6 KB

Name:  P1020077.jpg
Views: 2558
Size:  158.6 KB

This photo had me confused, as this appears to be Jim McKeown, but I didn't recognise the car. Jim did race an FX Holden in the early '60s, before the formation of the Neptune team, but the rear quarters on this car don't look like Humpy Holden. I asked Pete if he could help, and here is his reply:

"Steve if memory serves me correctly this is the ancient Hillman raced by a fellow who,s name was Gillmeister (forgotten his christian name) which was a regular competitor at Lakeside in the early sixties. It does appear to be Mckeown but just what the connection was I can not say The old Hillman went fairly well and I can recall him using it as his daily driver as well!"

Name:  IMG_0168.jpg
Views: 2621
Size:  108.5 KB

I assume this is Beechey's EH engine bay.

Name:  IMG_0171.jpg
Views: 2577
Size:  94.4 KB

Yep shes a Hillman, my 1st car was one and it had welded back doors, and same colour, went alright.

The intrepid Hillman Minx pilot was John Gillmeister who raced the old Minx up to late September 1964 after which he went to England and competed in Formula Two and Three. John is now retired and enjoying life in Tasmania.

Regards Pete.

Brilliant info, thanks Pete.

These two photos are just fantastic! The Norm Beechey Car Sales transporter arrives at Lakeside, and immediately draws a crowd. This would have been a big deal at the time, a purpose built rig, towing three race cars, and painted up in the same colours. This is 1965, and Beechey has now replaced his EH Holden with this new Mustang. This was the first Mustang to race in Australiasia, and was an incredibly exciting new addition, even though many weren't convinced a Mustang could be a good racer at first. Note the Mustang is wearing its steel wheels, which were later replaced by 5-spoke American Racing type wheels, to be aid brake cooling. Beechey would go on to win the 1965 ATCC with this car.

Name:  IMG_0161.jpg
Views: 2679
Size:  131.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0162.jpg
Views: 2647
Size:  136.0 KB

Norm's Mustang again. Look at the size of the crowd it has managed to draw, and it hasn't even been rolled off the transporter yet!

Name:  IMG_0163s.jpg
Views: 2622
Size:  98.1 KB

Pete, who are these blokes?

Name:  IMG_0157.jpg
Views: 2640
Size:  132.7 KB

The guy in the Neptune blue outfit ( complete with Cobra patch ) was a team mechanic of unknown identity,the other fellows were most likely local helpers. it would be great to hear from Norm himself to fill in the details. This was nearly fifty years ago! no wonder I feel so old.

Regards Pete.

PS.......I believe Norm may have the first person to circuit-race a Mustang......anywhere!
    Last edited by mid-year; 08-07-2013 at 05:19 AM.

He certainly told me at Ruapuna circa 2002 that he was the first person to win a championship in one..

Quote Originally Posted by mid-year View Post
    The guy in the Neptune blue outfit ( complete with Cobra patch ) was a team mechanic of unknown identity,the other fellows were most likely local helpers. it would be great to hear from Norm himself to fill in the details. This was nearly fifty years ago! no wonder I feel so old.

Regards Pete.

PS.......I believe Norm may have the first person to circuit-race a Mustang......anywhere!
    That would be the late Claude Morton,who worked for Norm in those years,many years latter he was member of the VHRR and the tow truck driver at Winton raceway Benalla,a very nice always had a joke and a smile on his face.