Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Robbie Francevic's 427 Fairlane

Another of Bill's photos. This is the first time I've noticed the different off-set between the front and rear wheels.

Name:  2013-04-26_42.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  85.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Another of Bill's photos. This is the first time I've noticed the different off-set between the front and rear wheels.

Name:  2013-04-26_42.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  85.9 KB
    I do recall 45 years ago i had just fulled up at sunnybrae autos on the north shore, on this day Allison Durbins dad was working there,i left sunnybrae autos and headed down to the lights and there in front of me was the fairlane waiting to get on to the motorway,it had the big race tyres on the back and road wheels on the front.Dont know who was driving on that day but boy did it get up and go when the lights went green ,that was the last time i saw this car.How good would it be to see a car like this out there again,with a 427 on full song that has been built the right way.

Semi-Pro Racer
    How good would it be to see a car like this out there again,with a 427 on full song that has been built the right way.
    Time for a "tribute" car, perhaps.......

Semi-Pro Racer
    Do you think the PCW types that proliferate the sport would allow that when there is a possibility someone could dig up a scrap or two from the old original car, you might have to buy the Eastern Southland John Deere dealership to get to it though.. Actually I still have a couple of bits from the original here, is that enough??

Just remembered, the Urqhuarts (spl?) from Coventry Motors? were trying to track the car down via Classic Driver magazine a few years ago , I replied to that at the time with same info Ive given here..
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 08-26-2013 at 07:24 AM.

You mean you havent got it dug up already?

Semi-Pro Racer
    They wouldnt let my Massey Ferguson in the gate..

But I have seen your crane with its looooooooooooooooong arm......

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    Do you think the PCW types that proliferate the sport would allow that when there is a possibility someone could dig up a scrap or two from the old original car, you might have to buy the Eastern Southland John Deere dealership to get to it though.. Actually I still have a couple of bits from the original here, is that enough??

Just remembered, the Urqhuarts (spl?) from Coventry Motors? were trying to track the car down via Classic Driver magazine a few years ago , I replied to that at the time with same info Ive given here..
    Dont talk about it build it, your the one who said you could build a good 427 the right way thats a start and you have some bits from the old car,there must be a number of race cars out there today that only have one or two parts from the original car.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Fairlane at Levin
    Attached Images Attached Images  

World Champion
    The Fairlane in the Loop at Teretonga

Name:  Robbie Francevic - Ford.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  137.8 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    CUSTAXI 50, much as I would like to, I really do have more than enough projects already, however if you want to have a go I am happy to help, nothing in the mechanical makeup of this car would be a problem ( other than soucing the $$$) . I can even make the wide wheels. So if your interested I found a couple of donor cars in the USA yesterday, pm me your email & I will forward the details for you to purchase one of them, you missed the boat with the Custaxi, time to move on this one, neither of us are getting any younger. Only thing I want nothing to do with is complying with MSNZ criteria

John McKechnie....I must be more selective of pics I send you...

Yeah I'd love to see a recreation too. Just an awesome car, and something a bit different. I hope somebody has a go. Paul Urquhart came close to building a replica about 5 years ago, but decided to build a Moffat/Geoghegan 1973 Bathurst winner Falcon XA hardtop instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    CUSTAXI 50, much as I would like to, I really do have more than enough projects already, however if you want to have a go I am happy to help, nothing in the mechanical makeup of this car would be a problem ( other than soucing the $$$) . I can even make the wide wheels. So if your interested I found a couple of donor cars in the USA yesterday, pm me your email & I will forward the details for you to purchase one of them, you missed the boat with the Custaxi, time to move on this one, neither of us are getting any younger. Only thing I want nothing to do with is complying with MSNZ criteria

John McKechnie....I must be more selective of pics I send you...
    This one is not for me.

Go for it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Maunder View Post
    Go for it!!!
    What i would like to do is try and build the custaxie as it was in 1966.

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    Dont talk about it build it, your the one who said you could build a good 427 the right way thats a start and you have some bits from the old car,there must be a number of race cars out there today that only have one or two parts from the original car.
    Actually there is a car the same size that was built to pre 65 regs, 2 pot 11" solid fronts/ 2 1/2" drums on the rear with 4bl 427/toploader/9" and handling yet to be sorted properly that saw off a certain red Boss Mustang 4 pot vented 12" fronts/4 pot vented 11 1/2" rears with SVO block webered 358/jerico/9" at the HD festival of speed! oops, sorry Dale I forgot, he wasn't trying. Now I'm for it!! lol

Name:  comet.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  7.0 KB

photo from flikr ( there is about 50 photos of it on Ground Sky Photography with Dale in persuit but I dont think I am allowed to use them)
    Last edited by George Sheweiry; 09-02-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by George Sheweiry View Post
    Actually there is a car the same size that was built to pre 65 regs, 2 pot 11" solid fronts/ 2 1/2" drums on the rear with 4bl 427/toploader/9" and handling yet to be sorted properly that saw off a certain red Boss Mustang 4 pot vented 12" fronts/4 pot vented 11 1/2" rears with SVO block webered 358/jerico/9" at the HD festival of speed! oops, sorry Dale I forgot, he wasn't trying. Now I'm for it!! lol

Name:  comet.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  7.0 KB

photo from flikr ( there is about 50 photos of it on Ground Sky Photography with Dale in persuit but I dont think I am allowed to use them)
    Do worry!! I was trying George, LOL but how can my little small Block fend of a 800HP 427 BIG BLOCK Comet, LOL, LOL

Dale M

Semi-Pro Racer

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    Do worry!! I was trying George, LOL but how can my little small Block fend of a 800HP 427 BIG BLOCK Comet, LOL, LOL

Dale M
    Dale, according to Ian Palmer in the Aussie Trans-Am Group, your Mustang has 850hp, so it must have all come down to driver ability! Lol.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Your forgetting those fancy rubber items he bought from the 'AVON LADY'...