qualified an excellent 6th against the lighter, more powerful Can-Am cars, and alongside Pedro Rodriguez in a similar car. The Ferrari was the car that reunited Adams with his good buddy Doane Spencer, as the pair had worked together previously at Hollywood Sport Cars running a Sunbeam Tiger and McLaren M1A, this being the car featured here

Chad Raynal put together a fascinating article on Doane Spencer and Jim Adams recently for Vintage Motorsport magazine. On this Mid Ohio race, he had Cris Vandagriff (Cris was crewing on the car) relate his version of events:

"Pedro Rodriguez drove a super trick NART 512 at the same race (Mid Ohio). Our car was basically stock. Pedro and Jim set the same lap time, and were 5th and 6th on the grid - with 5.0 litre engines. Jim got food poisoning and didn't tell anyone. He got so sick he passed out, came into the pits - unconscious! We had to grab the car as it rolled by to stop it. I pulled Jim out, I stayed with him until the ambulance arrived. He had a core temp of 105".

The team managed to get Bob Bondurant to jump in and finish the race in the Ferrari. This was chassis #1040, later sold to Penske Racing.

interesting story .I worked with Jim Adams at Hotchkis racing in IMSA.I wish I knew about that to ask him