Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Event: 2013 Australian Muscle Car Masters

Event: 2013 Australian Muscle Car Masters

Name:  XW-GT-auto-1968-muscle-car-masters.jpg
Views: 2122
Size:  123.6 KB

Its on this weekend folks. The 2013 Australian Muscle Car Masters, one of the most significant historic racing events on the Aussie racing calendar.

Ellis French has already posted up the programme and entry list here

Natsoft are posting the qualifying and race results as they happen throughout the weekend here

Thanks to Brent Murray from At Speed Images, we'll be posting up photos from the event from early next week.

I went today. Had a ball!!! First time I've seen F5000. Man those things are unreal!!! Not a big crowd as what tomorrow will obviously be but the racing was very good in all categories. Enjoyed myself very much.

Thanks Darren. You said on the Monaro thread that the Bob Jane HQ Monaro was there. David Wall is entered to drive it according to the programme, but looking at Natsoft, he was driving the Pete Geoghegan Mustang. Was the Monaro just doing demonstration laps?

I think so Steve. We missed the parade laps. Though the Geoghegan Mustang was blowing smoke which was getting worse towards the end of it's race, so maybe the Monaro just might get a run today.

Journeyman Racer

Young rookie star Tom Tweedie in his F5000 debut in his Chevron B24

Saturday August 31, 2013

Sydney youngster Tom Tweedie has got his Formula 5000 career off to a blazing start, by defeating the cream of NZ F5000 stars on the opening day of the 2013/14 F5000 Australia Cup, being run at the Muscle Car Masters, at Sydney Motorsport Park.

Poleman Tweedie was beaten away from the start by Auckland gun Clark 'Metalman' Proctor, with NZ legend Ken Smith in close attendance.

For lap after lap, Tweedie's red Chevron B24 poked and prodded either side of Proctor's familiar yellow March, only for the door to be firmly shut.

It looked as though Proctor had all the answers until, with just over a lap to go, Tweedie squeezed through, to take a stunning F5000 series debut win. In his attempts to keep the youngster at bay, Proctor set the race's fastest lap - at 1m27.8312s. Smith (Lola T332) kept a watching brief throughout for a strong third, ahead of Aucklander Andrew Higgins (Lola T400), Melbourne Matich A50-mounted Bryan Sala, and Aaron Lewis' similar car.
    The series debut of Richard Davison - father of V8 Supercar stars Will and Alex - got off to a tough start with what appeared to be an electronic failure early in the race, in the former Teddy Yip/Alan Jones Lola.

Tweedie, who has come via Australian F3 and Porsche Carrera Cup, before today's debut in F5000, was thrilled: "I certainly didn't expect to win like that, first up," he grinned. "Racing a car like that against some of the regular pace-setters in F5000 is a huge buzz itself. Clark got a great start and it was pretty late in the race before the opportunity came to get past. It was tremendous, hard, but clean racing. Fantastic." The field will contest a second qualifying heat on Sunday morning before the afternoon's feature race.

The 2013/14 Formula 5000 Australia Cup is supported by Gibson Freight and Mediterranean Shipping Company.
    Photo: John Morris/Mpix
    For further information:
    Chris Lambden - F5000 Australia - +61 418 580 700
    Report sent site: David Abbott
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 09-01-2013 at 04:26 AM.

Many thanks Jerry. What is the history of the Chevron? Ex Peter Gethin possibly?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Many thanks Jerry. What is the history of the Chevron? Ex Peter Gethin possibly?
    This is actually a Chevron B24/B28, chassis # 7
    Original owner Team VDS. They converted to B28 specs.
    This car has had far more owners/drivers than I have had the proverbial hot dinners. I really can't believe how many..

Refer to Bob Tweedie's site "ibcholdings.com.au"
    Also "oldracingcars.com". Look under Chevron B24. THat will keep you busy for a while....

Semi-Pro Racer
    The EH boys in their own 50 th Anniversary 3 lapper....
    Parkey pics..

Not seen for a while.....3 x S4's parked side by side ...in MCM car park

Journeyman Racer

Tom Tweedie heads Ken Smith, Andrew Higgins and Bryan Sala into Turn 2.

Tweedie completes Formula 5000 debut grand slam

Sunday September 1

Sydney debutant Tom Tweedie has completed a clean sweep of the opening round of the 203/14 F5000 Australia Cup, backing up his two heat wins with a third victory, in the F5000 feature event at the Muscle Car Masters, at Sydney Motorsport Park.

With kiwi Clark Proctor side-lined after blowing his engine in the morning heat, it was left to ageless kiwi star Ken Smith (Lola T332) to take it to the young man over 40 years his junior.

Ken Smith (71) was a champion in the original Formula 5000 era, continued to race open wheelers without a break since, and returned to the category when it re-emerged as a historic formula. He has since won three NZ MSC Formula 5000 championships - illustrating perfectly that experience is the perfect counter to age!

However, it was 25 year-old series debutant Tweedie (Chevron B24) who prevailed. After an early career in Australian F3 and Carrera Cup, his transition to the 550hp 5-litre V8-powered Australian Grand Prix cars of the 70s has been seamless.

Third in the race went to the Matich A50 driven by Melbournian Bryan Sala, who found extra pace after the morning qualifying heat, to edge out Aucklander Andrew Higgins (Lola T400).

Aaron Lewis (Matich A50) completed the top five. First 'Class A' (pre 1970) car home, in a best-ever sixth, was the Lola T140 of Adelaide veteran John Bryant.

The next round of the series will support the V8 Supercar Sandown 500, on September 13-15, in Melbourne.

The F5000 Australia Cup is supported by Gibson Freight and the Mediterranean Shipping Company.

Formula 5000 Australia Cup points after the opening round: Tweedie 55, Smith 44, Sala 37, Higgins 37, Lewis 31, Bryant 26, Proctor 12, Rush 12.

report sent site: David Abbott
    photo: John Morris/Mpix
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 09-01-2013 at 01:41 PM.

World Champion

Thats awesome Bry! Why are there not more MkIII Zephyrs in historics?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    This is actually a Chevron B24/B28, chassis # 7
    Original owner Team VDS. They converted to B28 specs.
    This car has had far more owners/drivers than I have had the proverbial hot dinners. I really can't believe how many..

Refer to Bob Tweedie's site "ibcholdings.com.au"
    Also "oldracingcars.com". Look under Chevron B24. THat will keep you busy for a while....
    Thanks Terry, I thought it might have been this car pictured, largely because they've chosen to race it as #2, which is the same number Gethin used throughout the 1974 Tasman Series. Turns out it does appear to be the same car, 007. Thanks Terry, good to know where it is today.

Name:  2011-11-25_91.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  142.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    The EH boys in their own 50 th Anniversary 3 lapper....
    Parkey pics..

Not seen for a while.....3 x S4's parked side by side ...in MCM car park

Thanks Ellis, I saw the EH race results, with a really good turnout of cars. Must have been a blast to see!

Thanks Terry, I thought it might have been this car pictured, largely because they've chosen to race it as #2, which is the same number Gethin used throughout the 1974 Tasman Series. Turns out it does appear to be the same car, 007. Thanks Terry, good to know where it is today.

Name:  2011-11-25_91.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  142.1 KB
    I raced the Chevron regularly for the last 8 years or so. Tom is way quicker than me as expected and it's not just more power either.

Aaron, your honesty is refreshing! Most people blame the car if they're not winning everything in sight, rather than look more closely at themselves. Besides, I think you're doing yourself a disservice. You do a fantastic job in these cars. And you're an enthusiast who goes historic racing for the right reasons, and its great you bring these beautiful old cars out to run so others can enjoy them.

Here is the first of the photos from Brent (At Speed Images). Plenty more to follow folks.

Name:  1185139_440004932779271_614927151_n.jpg
Views: 1451
Size:  85.7 KB

Aaron, your honesty is refreshing! Most people blame the car if they're not winning everything in sight, rather than look more closely at themselves. Besides, I think you're doing yourself a disservice. You do a fantastic job in these cars. And you're an enthusiast who goes historic racing for the right reasons, and its great you bring these beautiful old cars out to run so others can enjoy them.
    The stopwatch never lies. Besides I am now running just 1 second off the long time lap record and did it 7 times in a 10 lap race. Can't complain about that. 3 years ago that would have gotten me 2nd or 3rd place in a big field but the front of the field has moved on from there.

Semi-Pro Racer
    parkey pics...

Mick O Brien Pics.....

Semi-Pro Racer
    EH's on dummy grid...

EH's grid.....

Nb dummy grid.....

Nb Grid.......

Kean pics