Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
Yes it is disappointing Terry. Full credit to those who made the effort to run their F5000s at this event. Just a shame there weren't more of them. I know these cars aren't cheap to run, and neither is it shipping them around Australia or from New Zealand. This is obviously an event outside their existing championship, and maybe the MCM organisers need to somehow find a way to make this part of their series.

I remember asking Mark Oastler about this following the very first Muscle Car Masters, back in 2005 (?) as the intention back then was to have F5000s there. I think initially from memory they'd advertised that F5000s would be at that first event, but in the end it came to nothing. He told me many of those running the F5000s, especially those from NZ, weren't very interested in racing at the MCM. They felt it wasn't the right fit for their class. Thats what he said back then. I actually suggested the NZ racing class Central Muscle Cars could be a good fit with MCM (because I was involved with CMC back then), an idea he really liked, and the idea sort of grew from there to have CMC at the event. Thats back when CMC cars were a bit closer to historic type cars than they are now.
I was involved with Mark on that and tried to get 4 cars to do demo laps. In the end I was the only one there with the Chevron and it rained about 6" so I didn't venture onto the track. Just goes to show how long it can take to get these things together. Australia is a big country and competition between meetings and driver support can be difficult. Credit to MCM as we get free entry to that meeting as an incentive. It's still a long way to bring cars from Melbourne and NZ.
Sandown 500 this weekend and it looks like we have 14 cars at the moment.