Thread: Article: Formula Thunder 5000

Article: Formula Thunder 5000

Name:  14666233_1061655803943465_369382369669162185_n.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  55.0 KB

There has been a lot of interest in this new category in Australia since it was announced earlier this year.

Formula Thunder 5000 is effectively a modern day interpretation of Formula 5000, and the brainchild of Chris Lambden. Its, in essence, a control category, using a modern carbon-fibre chassis, Ford Coyote V8 engine, Hollinger gearbox etc.

The car is based around an American Swift chassis, dating back to 2009, that was originally built to compete in Formula Nippon in Japan. Swift discontinued the car, but with it fitting the brief for what Lambden and his group were planning, they bought the rights to construct it in Australia. The tall airbox was added as part of the Formula Thunder concept, to provide a visual throw-back to the cars of the original Formula 5000 series.

The fuel-injected, dry-sump Ford Coyote motor produces around 570hp, and is said to be extremely reliable in its current form.

The prototype Formula Thunder 5000 car made its first public appearance at the recent Australian Muscle Car Masters, doing high-speed demonstration laps. It looked and sounded superb.

Its an interesting concept, which has already created a lot of opinion, which has been very much divided. While some people love the idea of a modern-day Formula 5000, others wonder where it'll fit in the current motorsport landscape. And thats a very good point. Who will actually race these cars? Will 16 year old kids harboring dreams of one day reaching Formula 1 be interested in Formula Thunder 5000? Most junior single seater categories are designed specifically as stepping stone divisions, where wannabe stars of the future enter with the intention of conquering all before them, before climbing another rung on the ladder. Where does Formula Thunder fit in?

So if spectacular and fearless 16 year old future F1 drivers aren't going to be gridding up in Formula Thunder cars, who will? Perhaps those currently racing a historic Formula 5000? But why would they fore-go their historic cars for a modern variant? Would current V8 Supercar teams be interested in running these cars? If not, perhaps teams involved in the Australian GT series? Who will drive them? Wealthy middle-aged millionaires of mediocre talent? Or maybe there is a niche in the current motorsport market just waiting for something like Formula Thunder 5000 to fill.

Is there even a place in modern day motorsport for V8 powered race cars? Ten years ago, even Formula 1 used normally aspirated V8 engines. But the automotive industry in recent times has moved to power units more closely associated with the car market. V8 Supercars included.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of it. Its a bold move, and I wish those behind the concept all the best of luck. Certainly, of the many modern day single seater divisions around the world, Formula Thunder is both one of the more attractive visually and sounding options.

What do you folks think of Formula Thunder 5000?

Interview with Chris Lambden from earlier this year:

World Champion
    I was oblivious to who Chris Lambden was Steve, then I came across this a couple of days ago.

Name:  1990-Lambden-Crick-Bath-1990-2.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  103.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    I was oblivious to who Chris Lambden was Steve, then I came across this a couple of days ago.

Name:  1990-Lambden-Crick-Bath-1990-2.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  103.6 KB
    He's actually a long-time motoring/motor racing journalist who also raced himself. Prior to the Skyline he raced a Walkinshaw Group A Commodore, also in Beaurepairs colours. He had a big coming together with the Peanut Slab Sierra Cosworth of Robbie Francevic/Gianfranco Brancatelli at the Wellington Street Race one year. Brancatelli was driving at the time, and was lapping the Commodore through the tricky chicane on the start/finish straight. The Italian absolutely erupted in the post-crash interview.

He also raced a McRae GM1 F5000 here a couple years back but had to stop for medical reasons.
    Went alright as well. It was in Castrol colours
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 11-01-2016 at 04:14 AM.

Thats right Rod. Thats what sort of kick-started Formula Thunder 5000. He wanted to create a modern equivalent. What do you think of the concept?

A great concept, but we have enough struggling open wheel categories in Australia as it is, and I just don't see enough people putting up the money to purchase and run these cars to make a series viable. I do hope I am proven wrong. I suppose time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thats right Rod. Thats what sort of kick-started Formula Thunder 5000. He wanted to create a modern equivalent. What do you think of the concept?
    Went to have a look at the real thing after Sandown last Sunday.
    Interesting, lots of electrics etc. it is a big car. very nice fabrication etc. but do not see older boys doing it. will have to be a 'new' class all round and the price etc will dictate were it goes.