Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: Recreating The Halliday Capri

Thats a really neat photo Ross, thanks for posting.

Pretty sure the 1972 and 1973 works Capris (RS2600) used 15" wheels, bolt on, and for 1974 (RS3100) they switched to 16" centrelocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    I just re-read the text of Steves thread starter, Faheys car had 15" rims ( or at least while Inky owned it ) & I see the Halliday car was also on 15"s, so these 16"s must be later models. Incidently the original metric wheel studs spat the dummy shortly after I built the 9" in Inky's car, had to set to and make up some good un's. Wonder if this car had one rubber rod end in the 4 link?
    Jac, you are 100% correct about the wheels on the Fahey RS2600. One of the period magazines I used as research for that article and a couple of websites that have info about those cars say they were fitted with 16" wheels, but I checked with Roger Townshend and he said the car has always worn 15" wheels. He said the factory cars tried 16" wheels briefly in 1973 (when the Fahey car first raced in Europe) but that they had tyre issues so reverted back to the 15s. Sorry Jac, I should have listened to you.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Steve, your not the first to suggest I might have been wrong!, but one of the few to apologise when Im found correct!
    As an aside to the Tulloch capri, Inky had a few lurid spins when first racing the car that had the crew baffled, At the time I was building the 9" he asked me to check the rack as well, found 'someone' had adjusted the stops so the car only had about a 1/3 of the RH lock available, once the rack was replaced & that sorted Inky was back to his power sliding best.

Humblest Jac, I was going on it being run as a 3100 after reading write up on them. But of coarse it was 2600.

Jac that lock problem would have been a night mare to drive with.

Rod I'm sure you are correct though re the RS3100's, I'm sure they did have 16" wheels.

This RS3100 was racing at this years Silverstone Classic. The fact its right hand drive makes me wonder if its a replica, though there were teams in the UK who built and raced these cars in period using the Cosworth GAA and works bodykit etc, so maybe its a UK built car with period race history.

Name:  1380342.jpg
Views: 3062
Size:  97.1 KB

Name:  1380512.jpg
Views: 3112
Size:  103.9 KB

Name:  1380507.jpg
Views: 3007
Size:  98.6 KB

Name:  1380508.jpg
Views: 2956
Size:  135.7 KB

Steve, that car belongs to Ric Wood, he is a bit of a GAA guru. I saw it late last year when the bodyshell was in the paint shop. It was completed earlier this year. It has an engine that was built from one of two brand new Cosworth engine kits that he found in Spain. A lucky customer of his bought the other one

Conrad

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Humblest Jac, I was going on it being run as a 3100 after reading write up on them. But of coarse it was 2600.

Jac that lock problem would have been a night mare to drive with.
    No problem Rod, I was starting to think I was having a memory glitch though! I remember seeing a pic of the Moffat car somewhere & rears 'looked' to be bigger dia, but IIRC it has the later rear flares and in some of those OZ shots of the Halliday car you can 'see' the wheel archs appear to have been trimmed to suit the bigger rubber.
    Yes, it was getting to Inky a bit at the time, actually a few things on that car that left a bit to be desired, it was less engine/trans when it first arrived, still with the swimming pool paintwork that Grant Walker had run with in OZ

Quote Originally Posted by conrod View Post
    Steve, that car belongs to Ric Wood, he is a bit of a GAA guru. I saw it late last year when the bodyshell was in the paint shop. It was completed earlier this year. It has an engine that was built from one of two brand new Cosworth engine kits that he found in Spain. A lucky customer of his bought the other one

Conrad
    Thanks Conrad. VERY nice car!

By the way, I have posted pictures from the Super Touring race (where the above Capri RS was racing) at the 2013 Silverstone Classic up today, which included everything from Group 2 cars to Group A, Super Touring etc. You can see them on page 4 and 5, from Here

OK folks, time for an update from Rob on the Capri build. Robs comments, and photos, as below. I think you'll agree, this is a work of art!

"Steve, more pics. First: diff first stage,with alloy hubs fitted. Front suspension, set up to work out TCA lengths, and extension on rack ends, as well as compression strut placement.
    Last two pics: diff set up in lathe for bearing surfaces to be machined, and screw-cut to suit bearing retaining collars. These adjust pre-load on rear taper bearings.
    Cheers, Rob"

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 2913
Size:  104.3 KB

Name:  009.jpg
Views: 2809
Size:  96.5 KB

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 2776
Size:  140.2 KB

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 2762
Size:  111.1 KB

Huge thanks to Tim Hutchinson (briteyes) for sending me these photos he took of the Halliday Cari at Manfeild in the early 1980s. This first shot is when it was Jaguar V12 powered, and owned by Danie Lupp. Just look at all those carbs! Too bad this combination was never fully developed.

Name:  img008.jpg
Views: 3221
Size:  150.5 KB

Here is the Capri again, a little time later, now owned by John Osborne and powered by a small block Chevy.

Name:  img003.jpg
Views: 2701
Size:  111.7 KB

Name:  img004.jpg
Views: 2667
Size:  130.4 KB

And two more of Osborne at Manfeild, lined up on the grid in a North/South challenge event. Also, pictured here in the first shot are Trevor Crowe in his first Olds V8 Starlet sharing the front row with Osborne, while on row 2 are Rod McElrea in the ex-Jac Mac V8 Cortina, plus Avon Hyde in the Clyde Collins owned (ex-Frank Ryan) Chevy V8 Capri. Graeme Addis in the V8 Charger shares row three with Ian Munt in the Chevy V8 Capri, while Steve Vigurs is lined up behind Addis in the ex-Clyde Collins V8 Cortina.

In the second photo, Wayne Huxford is also pictured in his V8 Capri.

Name:  img005.jpg
Views: 3391
Size:  146.6 KB

Name:  img006.jpg
Views: 2799
Size:  127.9 KB

As you can see, a few parts from the original Halliday Capri do still survive. Rob sent me the below email:

"Steve, original front suspension from our Capri, you can see on the Mag/alloy hub carrier where it was welded after Dons crash at Bay Park (calliper brackets)...it still has my lock wore on the disc bells!"

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 2535
Size:  61.6 KB

Name:  008.jpg
Views: 2533
Size:  68.1 KB

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 2564
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 2572
Size:  66.4 KB

And now for another update on the recreation:

"Capri rear suspension, basic set up and tacked in position,for final check, prior to fully welding. Could be rolling in 2 weeks".

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 2724
Size:  107.1 KB

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 2571
Size:  119.2 KB

Views: 2551
Size:  93.7 KB

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 2541
Size:  113.8 KB

Steve, I dropped in a couple weeks back and had a look and chat with young fella. It is going to be good. Rob senior was away at time.
    Be good to see his road car when that is finished.

Thanks Rod, yeah its going to be a great car for sure.

Sorry folks, Rob actually sent me this update back in December! My workload has been such I'm only just getting to upload this now. Email below from Rob:

"Steve, sorry,been busy on our day to day race cars, but back to Capri. Pics of...door intrusion pipework, rear discs fitted prior to setting up calliper mounts,top inner trailing arm mounts,and front of finished cage".

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 2329
Size:  154.4 KB

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 2171
Size:  113.0 KB

Views: 2213
Size:  138.7 KB