Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: HMC Build Thread: 70 Mustang PDL Replica

Semi-Pro Racer
    Heres your next one Dale;

Heres a couple of update pictures, just picked it up from a wheel alignment this morning, get the front mats done Tuesday and dash top later in the week, it will be at the Speed Show, AKL next month at the HRC stand.

dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images     

That looks awesome Dale! Can you give some of the details on the motor? ie, internals, carb, heads etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    That looks awesome Dale! Can you give some of the details on the motor? ie, internals, carb, heads etc?
    Yep, absolutely Steve. Got to make sure it's HMC compliant. Don't want another 800hp rocket ship,LOL.
    Dave Graham
    MSNZ COD Auditor

Never had the motor apart guys, was built in America but I do know its still a 351 Cleveland and not stroked, etc, has standard 4V cast heads, baby hydraulic cam, 9.5 compression so runs on pump gas, Weiand alloy intake, headers, 650 DP Holley, MSD ignition, when purchased was told it was 450HP but its not, 380 to 400HP it feels like!!

Just moving it around today with the power steering and it feels better, this is now a perfect HMC car and one day the new owner can just add some horsepower and he's got a hell-off a car as now everything else is rite!!

Yes Dave, HMC compliant as you'd expect BUT you can do a full audit next event(Ice Breaker)

Dale M

Dave, sounds like you just bought yourself a couple of hours work auditing! Ha ha ha

Thanks for that info Dale. Its interesting when you list the specs of that motor. Its really a hot road car motor, but the car goes incredibly well and was lapping pretty competitively with Tony at the wheel back in January. Just goes to show, you don't need to spend big bucks in HMC to still have fun and be well in the pack having some great battles.

Dave, sounds like you just bought yourself a couple of hours work auditing! Ha ha ha

Thanks for that info Dale. Its interesting when you list the specs of that motor. Its really a hot road car motor, but the car goes incredibly well and was lapping pretty competitively with Tony at the wheel back in January. Just goes to show, you don't need to spend big bucks in HMC to still have fun and be well in the pack having some great battles.
    Yep Steve, probably have but when you love what you do what's a few hours. I am in a privileged position where i can get up close and personal with the type of cars that raced in my day when a flaggie and spectator and now meet some of those guys who used to race them. Richards,Marwood, Fahey, Collins, Grant etc and the list goes on. Just wish we were all about 20 yrs younger,LOL!!!

PDL is pretty much all finished. It will be on display at next months Speedshow, July 19/20th at the Historic Racing Club(HRC) stand. Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Man, you do some sweet work Dale. Time to get your own TV show and show how you do this work...and I gather that you do it all yourself. That would be the "hook" for interest.

I was going to make some smart-a$$ comment about how you dropped the nose two inches on the repair and how trick the new light-weight windshield and back light are....but didn't want to give away any of your secrets!

Fantastic build!

Oh, BTW, be kind to my friend Craig Harris when he shows up with the Aussies in NZ. (red, white and blue. He runs number 88 on it).

Oh, also BTW. Have a killer 351 Cleveland if you guys can run 'em there.

Doug

I could tell you all about that 2" nose drop but.......Dale has just reminded me that I have selective amnesia!!!!
    I suspect that I may have leaned a bit hard on the front of it, and that may have caused the lower height...lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Rudy View Post
    Man, you do some sweet work Dale. Time to get your own TV show and show how you do this work...and I gather that you do it all yourself. That would be the "hook" for interest.

I was going to make some smart-a$$ comment about how you dropped the nose two inches on the repair and how trick the new light-weight windshield and back light are....but didn't want to give away any of your secrets!

Fantastic build!

Oh, BTW, be kind to my friend Craig Harris when he shows up with the Aussies in NZ. (red, white and blue. He runs number 88 on it).

Oh, also BTW. Have a killer 351 Cleveland if you guys can run 'em there.

Doug
    Shhhhhhhhhhh Doug, don't give away my secrets as i have a direct line to Bud Moore, LOL, as for TV im way too shy for that and who would be interested anyway? still, i just luv chipping away one project at a time but 69 and 70 Mustang FB's i have soft spot for!! This old girl is no fire eater with a modest pump gas 400HP(if your lucky) engine but for our Historic class it fits rite in and has the rite look, that's whats important as the "Cars are the Stars".

And off-course last saturday i had Malcolm standing over me making sure NO illegal parts went in A Malcolm, buddy, mate!! LOL

From what i hear Craig Harris has turned the heat up in your old Mustang Doug, fire breathing Fataz engine now so he'll be killer for sure but hey you better come down in January? we need you to do the cookin on the BBQ MATE, LOL.

Dale M,

Here is a pic of the original, likely during its Australian visit in 1972. This is probably Calder Park. I've not seen an engine bay shot of the car in this guise before. Engine bay looks a lot like your Boss don't you think Dale! Looks like you have the best of both worlds.

Name:  10277955_10202968012067538_2129549667000693260_n.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  113.7 KB

Here is a pic of the original, likely during its Australian visit in 1972. This is probably Calder Park. I've not seen an engine bay shot of the car in this guise before. Engine bay looks a lot like your Boss don't you think Dale! Looks like you have the best of both worlds.

Name:  10277955_10202968012067538_2129549667000693260_n.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  113.7 KB
    I can tell by the angle for the webers Steve that its fitted with Gurney Westlake cylinder heads, other set ups on Ford heads the carburettors stood straight up and down(as mine are), be great to get a proper engine bay shot.

Great photo of this legendry car that I've never seen before!!

Dale M

Semi-Pro Racer
    Wow hard to believe you built this 4 years ago. Seems like yesterday.
    One long question for you though Dale - What colour is the paint on this? Grabber Orange? and what colour primer was used under it?
    I have an old Monogram 1/24th scale 1970 Boss 429 Mustang model kit here with this cars name on it. Have a 302 put aside already. Just have to find some aftermarket rims to match Pauls car when in PDL Colours like this.
    Thanks in advance - Tony