Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
Smokey Yunick off-course was the best cheater around, (urrr i mean rule bender) one story i heard(or read) years ago was when NASCAR said you had to run a restrict-or plate under the carburetor and that all the air must run thu the carburetor, what he did was removed the 4 mounting bolts that went into the intake manifold that held the Holley 4 barrel down, he then fitted a clamp to hold the carburetor but allowed air to be sucked thu the 4 holes(air was still running thu the carburetor) as well as the carb and with the mixture adjust accordingly he obtained a slight HP advantage!! and yet he was quite legally allowed to do so!! once found out NASCAR changed the wording to say "All the air must past thu the carburetor venturis" but quite in-genius at the time anyway!! but also quite amazing what adding ONE word can do to the meaning of a rule.

Dale M
Dale I might have told you this, but others maybe interested, years ago, I went to a after match dinner in Charlotte, where smokey was a guest speaker, dead pan face, and I was rolling around the floor, he was like Billy Conelly, but one of the things he said, has always stuck in my mind, "The racing started when the rules were posted" so they would look at all the things that were not written down.
Roger